FA looking to tackle sexist chanting

• Thread starter Deleted member 35145
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, this is one thing I will say. I know what you're trying to say, but women very often, not always, but very often do not see this stuff as compliments. You need to understand that. There's a reason that there are campaigns to say "please will you stop doing this shit, we don't like it".

More like 'Please stop doing this shit, someone else may not like it'.

In any case, there'll never be a world where absolutely no-one is offended by anything. It's impossible. People need to get over themselves and grow a spine, not expect others to accomodate them all the time. The world doesn't revolve around them and what they deem is offensive. These people whining about this believe they speak for all women, when it's obvious they certainly do not. Do those other women not have some say in this?

More like 'Please stop doing this shit, someone else may not like it'.

In any case, there'll never be a world where absolutely no-one is offended by anything. It's impossible. People need to get over themselves and grow a spine, not expect others to accomodate them all the time. The world doesn't revolve around them and what they deem is offensive. These people whining about this believe they speak for all women, when it's obvious they certainly do not. Do those other women not have some say in this?

One of the groups calling for it is Women in Football, which is a group which represents 1200 women who work in football. They are talking about themselves and the things they have experienced.

You're drawing a line in a specific direction - i.e. that outlawing sexism will eventually lead to young lads not being allowed to have run.
Ultimately, and i accept this might make me sound like a cock, although a lot of women attend matches nowadays it is still very much an environment where daft young (and not so young) lads can get together, have a drink and be daft young lads, i dont want to see that stamped out and this is just another step towards it. Maybe people think its a good thing but once al the daftness is banned in case we offend then the sport will well and truly have been hijacked by the "new generation premier league" type fans. I dont want a return to hooliganism etc but i equally dont want it to go too far the other way either

It's about drawing a line, imo.

We each have an unspoken line that dictated what's OK and not. For most people, racism and violence have no place in football. Homophobia and sexism can also be banished, all without stopping daft young lads from having a drink and a laugh.

There's plenty of stuff to abuse in football - rival fans, wealthy footballers, refs etc. Why do you need to add women to that list? And if sexism is an essential part of the experience, why not racism?

One of the groups calling for it is Women in Football, which is a group which represents 1200 women who work in football. They are talking about themselves and the things they have experienced.

They surely knew what football crowds were like before they decided to become involved in the game, though.

You're drawing a line in a specific direction - i.e. that outlawing sexism will eventually lead to young lads not being allowed to have run.

We each have an unspoken line that dictated what's OK and not. For most people, racism and violence have no place in football. Homophobia and sexism can also be banished, all without stopping daft young lads from having a drink and a laugh.

There's plenty of stuff to abuse in football - rival fans, wealthy footballers, refs etc. Why do you need to add women to that list? And if sexism is an essential part of the experience, why not racism?

Who's abusing women? As for racism, 'get your tits out' vs throwing bananas on the pitch or calling someone the n-word? Not even remotely analogous.[/QUOTE]

Last edited:
Don't do that, I'd hate to miss your posts. ;)

Personally, if it was my daughters (no), I'd find it highly amusing. I think they would too, albeit highly embarrassing. Even if I didn't like it, I wouldn't whine about it like a baby, nor would they. People are becoming soft as shit and far too precious in this country.

If the crowd were shouting abuse, that'd be different.

Touché.

The problem is that there's a fine line between banter and abuse, and that's without mentioning the varying tolerances of the recipients.

Having said that, I sort of see where you are coming from.

Football crowd humour is funny because it's simultaneously inevitable, daft, feral, scabrous - and often completely inappropriate.

I may not have joined in with certain chants, but I know in the past I've laughed when I really shouldn't.

As ive said racism is different, its inherently nasty whereas singing for a lass to get her tits out or saying something like "she just wants your number mate" when a female ref goes to book a player is just daft and harmless, you really cant compare it to throwing bananas and making monkey noises towards black players. Thats where my line is, if its just daft lads having a laugh leave it be, once you start taking that away and you totally remove the laddish element from football then, imo, youve got a totally different experience and not one id like.

I dont want to go to a game and constantly be thinking "might someone be offended by this", fuck that. Next it'll be fatties getting offended on steve bruces behalf, people with aids (or people on their behalf) saying no singing about shearer. Just about any daft or pisstaking song could offend someone, imo there has to be a point where we say "i dont give a fuck if youre offended, fuck off".

Mind, ive already admitted that my views on sexist chants are probably very similar to lads years ago who couldnt see any problem with "light hearted" racist comments so im not saying im definitely in the right, just admitting where i stand. If you dont want your daughter to hear rude chants, possibly about womens tits, dont take them to football. But no, typically itll be the daft lads who are forced or priced out so that everyone can go and not be offended by anything. Id say id rather watch with the lads in the pub at that point but thatll be next to be targeted no doubt

If you dont want your daughter to hear rude chants, possibly about womens tits, dont take them to football.
If that's the solution it's a very sad one. You're saying young lasses shouldn't be introduced to this amazing, wonderful game because people's right to chant about women's tits is more important.

Touché.

The problem is that there's a fine line between banter and abuse, and that's without mentioning the varying tolerances of the recipients.

Having said that, I sort of see where you are coming from.

Football crowd humour is funny because it's simultaneously inevitable, daft, feral, scabrous - and often completely inappropriate.

I may not have joined in with certain chants, but I know in the past I've laughed when I really shouldn't.

Exactly. Its not a class thing so you cant say they want it all to be middle class etc but you know what people mean when they say it. Basically football is big business now so they dont want the daft lads there anymore they want families. But for me doing that would rip a lot of the heart out of the sport. As you say, football crowds have always been a bit inappropriate, its a part of the match day experience and trying to stop it would be like complaining that you took your daughter to a chubby brown show but didnt like the swearing, you know what its like so if offended just dont bloody go

If that's the solution it's a very sad one. You're saying young lasses shouldn't be introduced to this amazing, wonderful game because people's right to chant about women's tits is more important.

Im saying they should go but they shouldnt be offended if they hear the odd "sexist" chant. Football crowds have always been a bit rowdy and inappropriate, dont try and take that away just because little chloe doesnt want to hear the word tits.

Swearing will be next, i was in the north stand a few games ago and some bloke started having a go because i was swearing and "ive got my kid with me". I couldnt give a fuck, its a football game, youll get swearing, if you dont like it then take your kid to the family secrion, dont moan when you want to take him into a main "home end" and theres a bit of swearing

Last edited:
Exactly. Its not a class thing so you cant say they want it all to be middle class etc but you know what people mean when they say it. Basically football is big business now so they dont want the daft lads there anymore they want families. But for me doing that would rip a lot of the heart out of the sport. As you say, football crowds have always been a bit inappropriate, its a part of the match day experience and trying to stop it would be like complaining that you took your daughter to a chubby brown show but didnt like the swearing, you know what its like so if offended just dont bloody go
Football's bigger than Chubby Brown man. It's the people's game. It's for all of us. You can still have all the things you rightly love about it and the banter and that without singing about tits.

Worth pointing out to the sexist pigs that the Chelsea bit of blart is a Dr and not a physio.

At least get the lassies role correct

Football's bigger than Chubby Brown man. It's the people's game. It's for all of us. You can still have all the things you rightly love about it and the banter and that without singing about tits.

So theres no songs about tits (theyre rare anyway), do you think a little girl or boy should have to hear swearing, or songs about AIDS, or wishing steven taylor dead? Genuinely id love to hear your answer to that

Then there's the fatties, gingers, away fans, surely they don't deserve to be offended either? I mean, somebody might get their feelings hurt!

So theres no songs about tits (theyre rare anyway), do you think a little girl or boy should have to hear swearing, or songs about AIDS, or wishing steven taylor dead? Genuinely id love to hear your answer to that
Swearing is fine by me. My dad took me to Roker Park for the first time when I was 7 and explained I might hear language that people were using because this was one of the places they went to let off steam after a hard week, and that I shouldn't imitate them. I'm personally uncomfortable about songs about AIDS or wishing people dead.

Swearing is fine by me. My dad took me to Roker Park for the first time when I was 7 and explained I might hear language that people were using because this was one of the places they went to let off steam after a hard week, and that I shouldn't imitate them. I'm personally uncomfortable about songs about AIDS or wishing people dead.

So swearing is okay to you, but to others it obviously isnt and this is the point. Once we start banning anything that anyone finds offensive the daft steven taylor songs will go, so will the swearing. There has to be a point where we admit that a football crowd will offend a certain number of people but say "fuck it", otherwise we wont please everyone until the grounds are sterile as fuck. Why not just have family ends for the easily offended and daft lad ends at the other end of the ground to try and accommodate everyone, since the game is for all of us?

So swearing is okay to you, but to others it obviously isnt and this is the point. Once we start banning anything that anyone finds offensive the daft steven taylor songs will go, so will the swearing. There has to be a point where we admit that a football crowd will offend a certain number of people but say "fuck it", otherwise we wont please everyone until the grounds are sterile as fuck. Why not just have family ends for the easily offended and daft lad ends at the other end of the ground to try and accommodate everyone, since the game is for all of us?
I see what you mean but there's a difference between swearing and picking on someone, or a group, just because they are different. What's the Chelsea doc done to offend anyone? Nothing. She just happens to be a she.

:lol: and I always thought you were a massive lads fan:cry:
It's the hope I can't stand.

I see what you mean but there's a difference between swearing and picking on someone, or a group, just because they are different. What's the Chelsea doc done to offend anyone? Nothing. She just happens to be a she.

It's the hope I can't stand.

Whats a fat bloke done, or a ginger bloke, its relativy good natured, just a bit daft and not worth "reporting to the authorities"

Bloody ridiculous.

They'll be selling Pimms and strawberries and cream next, while the 4th official calls for silence during play and only polite applause when a goal is scored.

Against Modern Football!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back