Father Ted.......

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pretty much agree with this, although I think it might have had one more series in it had the lead actor not died. Likewise Blackadder, think they could've squeezed one more series out of that too. In general though, I agree some sit-coms go on too long. "Only Fools" is a prime example. You can only stretch an idea out so far irrespective of how good it was.

Blackadder would probably have needed to go back in time again to keep the historical perspective but, yes, I'd agree there. "Only Fools" gradually became more about the sit than the com, unfortunately.

Blackadder would probably have needed to go back in time again to keep the historical perspective but, yes, I'd agree there. "Only Fools" gradually became more about the sit than the com, unfortunately.
Could do a WW2 one with Churchill/Hitler etc?

Suppose they could get some mileage out of the 80s Unions troubles.

Bear in mind that the writers of that sitcom are Richard Curtis and Ben Elton, who have changed in style since then. A blackadder series written by them now would involve Edmund moping around and falling gently in love with little other incident (Curtis), and jokes carefully constructed not to contain anything remotely humorous or entertaining on any level (Elton).

Bear in mind that the writers of that sitcom are Richard Curtis and Ben Elton, who have changed in style since then. A blackadder series written by them now would involve Edmund moping around and falling gently in love with little other incident (Curtis), and jokes carefully constructed not to contain anything remotely humorous or entertaining on any level (Elton).

I think the jokes in Goes Forth had already started to get quite formulaic anyway. Best left there as the only(?) sitcom better than Father Ted.

One for us oldies, but Dads Army has been consistently the best sitcom in my lifetime. Nine series, eighty episodes and, apart from the first every series, consistently of a very high standard. Well scripted and brilliantly acted.

One for us oldies, but Dads Army has been consistently the best sitcom in my lifetime. Nine series, eighty episodes and, apart from the first every series, consistently of a very high standard. Well scripted and brilliantly acted.

Why was the standard poor in the first episode of every series?

In relation to Dougla opening his advent calendar.

" and what was it you predicted yesterday? Rudd guilt sitting on a shed?"

And the football one, who can forget Romeo sensini

Last edited by a moderator:
My favourite is an understated episode - Think Fast, Father Ted. I thought I was going to die laughing at some points - it's the little things and jokes that made it such an endearing program.

"We could run away Ted"
"No, they'd just find us again"

Now as much as I like it it was more for the acting than the script imo, but you have to admire scriptwriters that virtually never relied on smut or profanity to get a laugh, in anything they did, some trick that...

Fr. Andy Riley,
Fr. Desmond Coyle,
Fr. George Byrne,
Fr. David Nicholson,
Fr. Declan Lynch,
Fr. Ken Sweeney,
Fr. Neil Hannon,
Fr. Keith Cullen,
Fr. Ciaran Donnelly,
Fr. Mick McEvoy,
Fr. Jack White,
Fr. Henry Bigbigging,