Feelgood factor re the city itself and the footy team ?

• Thread starter Deleted member 6830
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
You missed out the fact that the country's best scooter club hails from the city. Wearside Wanderers since 1980. Come and have a pint with us at the Kings Head in Deptford every Tuesday.

Manchester is the second city these days.
Birmingham had a great tradition of engineering, firearms and the motor industry. I think those things that made it the second city have declined massively so Manchester could well be seen as more vibrant.
I'm not really sure what currently makes Birmingham tick in terms of infrastructure nowadays.

There used to be an amazing blonde lass with a pair of toppa's, who worked in Tucci when it first opened on the corner, where that coffee shop is now(?); she also worked in Annabelle's I think?? Fookin lush she was... anybody know who she was??

Sure I saw her behind the bar in Establishment a couple of years back anarl.... LOL, not that I am a stalker or owt...

Oh, and for the record, I feel good now we got FB back!!!
The two lasses who used to work inDolland and Aitchson on high St west in the 90s were canny anarll mind. I reckon the blond one was after me.

Great thread but we need a win soon. We are bottom of the league and have used up 4 relatively easy games in this league.

Two or three defeats running, which is feasible, and it will be meltdown on here. We still don't have a very good side, no proper large physical striker, no full backs worth their worth. struggling aged full backs etc. No one is going to be scared of us and we need to get a win to turn things around v quickly.

After years of decline and decay and general pessimism, is it too optimistic to suggest things are on the up ?

The city centre looks great with the Keel Square development, Bridges extension including Van Mildert to rival Aphrodite [who says we dont have designer gear in Sunderland}, total revamp of Holmeside, new hotel about to open next to ex IR building, and of course increased employment for our lads and lasses [still along way to go tho]. The ex Vaux site remains a bug bear, but things could start moving there reasonably soon. At least a handy new car park has been temporarily created and that huge unsightly mound removed.

The seafront looks brilliant, and once the new restaurant is finally open and the houses over the road are done it will be something to be even more proud of - newcastle has the quayside, but I wouldnt swap the seafront for that in a million years.

The area around the ground is starting to develop. Not only do we have one of the few Olympic size swimming pools in Europe never mind the UK, but we have a new hotel due to open reasonably soon which will encourage opposing fans to stay over and spend their money in the city and spread the good word of Sunderland's revival.

And now dare I say it, the football club.The first two games were very poor BUT, the performance v Swansea was decent and the away performance at Villa was encouraging. NOW since the Villa game, we have Borini back, plus a decent looking fullback, whilst the new Swede's second half showing at Villa showed he could well be the midfield answer we've been looking for.

We have a great {word is often misused} manager in Dick Advocaat, a good chairman, a fantastic stadium and facilities at the AOL, a superb, well regarded and respected Foundation and of course, tremendous support.

Have things ever looked as encouraging as this on all fronts ????

The doom mongers, professional pessimists and ne'r do wells will no doubt shoot me down, but I feel encouraged and optimistic about both the city's and the clubs future, HTL, HTC and FTBM;):)

Is your Avatar the Bury game?

There was an excellent piece written by a Doctor from Pallion (also club Doctor at Hartlepool I think) a few years back, linking results on the football pitch to the general health and happiness of the city residents.

worst place in uk I have ever been to FACT - in fact, I'd rather live in NEW DELHI which is the worst foreign city Ive ever been to despite the Fort etc.
My daughter lives in Luton, the centre is a mess but there's plenty of nice parts too. Oh and it has an airport and an press train 30 mins into London.

Birmingham city centre is ok but is a massive building site at the minute. Its better than Stoke or Wolverhampton but Sunderlands seafront is stunning, and I wouldnt swap it for any of those places.
My sisters friends from Lancashire visited Seaburn with the Caravan Club a couple of weeks ago. First ever visit to the city and they were hugely impressed.
If more of the citys residents stopped moaning about the place and spent some money here it would be even better.
Spot on about sending money in their own city. I've been saying this for a well now. Improve the footfall and this will invite investors.

There was an excellent piece written by a Doctor from Pallion (also club Doctor at Hartlepool I think) a few years back, linking results on the football pitch to the general health and happiness of the city residents.
Wasn't the time of the 15 point season was it?!

After years of decline and decay and general pessimism, is it too optimistic to suggest things are on the up ?

The city centre looks great with the Keel Square development, Bridges extension including Van Mildert to rival Aphrodite [who says we dont have designer gear in Sunderland}, total revamp of Holmeside, new hotel about to open next to ex IR building, and of course increased employment for our lads and lasses [still along way to go tho]. The ex Vaux site remains a bug bear, but things could start moving there reasonably soon. At least a handy new car park has been temporarily created and that huge unsightly mound removed.

The seafront looks brilliant, and once the new restaurant is finally open and the houses over the road are done it will be something to be even more proud of - newcastle has the quayside, but I wouldnt swap the seafront for that in a million years.

The area around the ground is starting to develop. Not only do we have one of the few Olympic size swimming pools in Europe never mind the UK, but we have a new hotel due to open reasonably soon which will encourage opposing fans to stay over and spend their money in the city and spread the good word of Sunderland's revival.

And now dare I say it, the football club.The first two games were very poor BUT, the performance v Swansea was decent and the away performance at Villa was encouraging. NOW since the Villa game, we have Borini back, plus a decent looking fullback, whilst the new Swede's second half showing at Villa showed he could well be the midfield answer we've been looking for.

We have a great {word is often misused} manager in Dick Advocaat, a good chairman, a fantastic stadium and facilities at the AOL, a superb, well regarded and respected Foundation and of course, tremendous support.

Have things ever looked as encouraging as this on all fronts ????

The doom mongers, professional pessimists and ne'r do wells will no doubt shoot me down, but I feel encouraged and optimistic about both the city's and the clubs future, HTL, HTC and FTBM;):)

hehe, yeah the team is currently proping up the rest of the division. Things have never been so rosey!

Everywhere has got nice areas and shithole areas. As has already been discussed Birmingham is nice in the city centre and round the canal part. Stray away from the centre and there's some right dives, like around Aston etc. But rinse and repeat for most cities and towns in the country.

I think they've got parts of Birmingham locked down but it's a big city and i'm sure others hold their own spots. My mate mentioned the Johnson's too, least i think that's what they were called.
Birmingham's always been a violent place. You can tell when things that would be major stories in some places barely make the news in Birmingham.
There was another bunch from Wolverhampton who used to stop over up here on their way to Aberdeen of all places. They had that bit of business locked down for years.

Aye, I've heard of a bunch, Peaky Blinders or something they used to be called.

The socioeconomic effects on a team by its surrounding area is well documented, but the other way around is more or less taken for granted..
There were some figures released by them up the road when Keegan was in charge that when they won at home as opposed to getting beat at home, out of hrs Drs appointments dropped by 75%.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back