Fish Shop Friday Thread #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Crozier Fisheries.

Went in mindful of Monty's comment above, and was not disappointed in that respect. Was greeted in an empty shop (but with plenty of cooked fish ready in the warm shelf) by a very pleasant blond middle-aged lady who was very chirpy and eager to please. However, I upset the smooth running of the Crozier system by asking for my cod to be specially cooked so that the batter would not be too crispy as her indoors likes it delicate. This caused consternation behind the range as the gaffer did not know what I meant by "slightly undercooked fish". Did I want it "not properly cooked??? Did I want thin or thick batter? What did I mean???" I explained that I simply wanted it cooked for slightly less time than usual as we like fish that isn't too dry. This was met with a shrug and "OK then, but..." and he put the fish in. As I waited for it to cook I could see him talking to an older woman behind the range and shrugging and gesturing towards me as if to say "awkward bugger" :lol::lol:. I'm probably putting words in his mouth...

A few customers passed through the shop and eventually my fish was ready. As he put it in the shelf the gaffer warned me he had cooked it for one minute less than he normally would, so it was not his fault if it was not right. I told him that was my risk, thanked him for his efforts and left the shop.

Got the dinner home and this is what greeted me on unwrapping it. That is a large dinner fork beside the fish for size comparison but does not really do justice to the size of the beast.

Logon or register to see this image

http://s139.photobucket.com/user/Ijustknewit/media/P1010399_zps7sgcnslp.jpg.html

http://s139.photobucket.com/user/Ijustknewit/media/P1010397_zpshu7gxsqa.jpg.html

Ratings: Massive fish was fried in dripping I think judging by the solidifying fat on the wrapper. Batter was light and crispy (the soggy-looking bit and the bottom end of the fish is where it had adhered to the paper) and hadn't been "boiled". Flesh was lovely and white and taste was sweet and gorgeous. Big plus for me is that it was skin-on unless otherwise ordered. I love fish skin. I think if it had been cooked any longer though it would have been a tad dry for my taste. 9.5/10 as a 10/10 is impossible.

Chips: fluffy and sweet inside and non-greasy on the outside, possibly erring towards dry. High-quality spuds had been used as evidenced by lack of "eyes". 8.5/10

Bit of a bugger was that batter was not offered to me but I did hear another serving lass offer it to another customer. Maybe I was being punished for being awkward.

Overall 9 out of ten and I will definately return. If you're offended by no batter being offered take half a point off.

Forgot to mention croziers' price was £5.40 per fish lot. Excellent value I think.

Also not a Kebab or Pizza in sight.
He's a decent bloke actually, been in the game a long time so knows what he wants regarding fish quality and price. Just can be a right awkward owld git sometimes. Very much old school in the way he run his chippy.

Homemade fish and chips including homemade batter, 7/10

#fishshopfridayathome
Fuck me did you cook that with a blowtorch??

He's a decent bloke actually, been in the game a long time so knows what he wants regarding fish quality and price. Just can be a right awkward owld git sometimes. Very much old school in the way he run his chippy.

Fuck me did you cook that with a blowtorch??

It is mate, I know how many cases of fish he uses a week, so he is successful at what he does

Hello and welcome back to the Fish Shop Friday Thread. Don't know what happened to the last one, but we move on.

Today I went to Grangetown Chippy. Warning signs all owa here that this was going to be a mistake. Seemed to be a kebab shop that occassionaly did fish, there was neebody in the queue. My request of fish seemed to take the lass by surprise. Anyway ordered me fish lot, and she stuck a fish in the fryer. Few minutes later she asks do I want salt & vinegar and batter so I assumed me fish lot was ready. NO! She was wrapping me chips up while waiting for me fish to fry, so the chips are sitting there on the counter all wrapped up getting claggy while me fish is still in the fryer. Bizzarre behaviour.

£5.30 for a fish lot, chips were nice but the rest was below par. Batter was stodgy, fish was bland and the whole thing was too greasy. I can still taste the grease in my mouth now an hour later. A poor score 4/10.

#fishshopfriday
New owners in this shop since this review @girojim , so give this shop another chance mate

Last edited:
I was going to share some decent Fish and Chips places here in California, but that would be like telling someone in Mexico that I've found a decent Mexican food place - it's just silly...

I know it's not a friday but been to the fish shop today after last nights homemade fish and chips.

Went to Humbledon fisheries. Small fish and chips, £3.20. Even though it's only a "small" fish and chips it's still enough.

Great value, 10/10

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back