Football league centenary tournament

Status
Not open for further replies.

I went. All that way just to see colin Pascoe miss a penalty and even saw the mags beat Liverpool.

The only other thing I remember was we played in a yellow patrick top and some cockney kid kept singing bros songs as we waited to get in.

I was wondering what happened in the penalty shootout. And any booze up stories.
Pens were straight to sudden death. We got beat 2-1

Aye I did, one of the 5 times I saw us lose at the old Wembley !!!

Lost to frigging Wigan on pens, was called the Mercantile Credit Classic or some shite.

Just out of interest other defeats I endured were;

Norwich
Swindon
Liverpool
Charlton

Feck me I'm jinxed !!!!!!!!!!!!

I was physically there, but I was mortal and haven't a clue about results and such. Great day out by all accounts ....... :lol:

Went for the full weekend with the SAFCSA. included hotel (Hilton) transfers and tickets for both days. About 70 or 80 quid all in.

Remember the unforgettable sight of loads of our lot climbing the barriers to join the Tranmere fans when they played the mags. Tranmere were a 4th division side who qualified with Wolves. Us and Wigan represented the 3rd tier. Tranmere beat our nearest and dearest as we sang them home! Still see the sight of dejected mags walking outside our pen heads bowed. They beat Liverpool but Canny Tranny sorted them out then had a decade of over-achieving to be fair!

We were shit losing to Wigan after waiting all day for our fleeting appearance. 16 teams were given 5000 tickets each in special pens at the 80000 Wembley. Us and the mags took around 2k while the likes of Liverpool and Manu were hardly represented at all. I always remember how 5000 Palace fans rocked up and almost as quickly disappeared as soon as they were put out! The joys of living in London eh?

Forest won the thing as many predicted as their footballing style was perfectly suited.

A young maximus came home with a black bin bag of souvenirs and kept in touch and visited Tranmere fans for years after.

As for drinking... We camped in the hotel bar until about 11ish as residents we knew we could stay all night but the bar was closed briefly to get rid of a few I suspect. We were told to call back in half an hour and ordered pints from room service. We later sneaked back to the bar where we were joined by a couple of Wolves and some Everton lads and proceeded to spend the night drinking lager with southern comfort chasers...at least I did. Great night and craic and eventually called it a morning about 7am for shave shower and pack, before trying to eat breakfast and back to Wemberlee for day two (without Sunderland of course).

I was actually amazed there was no or little trouble - especially as fans could roam around the concourses. Remember this was the season immediately after Newcastle showing up for the Gillingham playoff.

Looking back it was a daft idea, poorly supported and a crap way to celebrate 100 years of league footy. But I was young and daft then so was never going to miss a weekender....

Class craic with Gazza waving and entertaining the Sunderland fans in front of our pen. He lost his smile when Morrisey, Mungall and Muir magnificently mauled magpies.... Tranmere became a lot of people's favourite in the stadium that weekend.

I mainly remember it for the shit teams and squads the big clubs put out - apart from Forest of course cos Cloughie was a winner! Never mind...we'd be back 2 year later and would no doubt hammer Swindon......

I was there for the full weekend. The only thing I remember is the Wolves fans singing "Let's all have a disco". It was pretty shite really.

Cheers Maximus, the football sounded a pile of shite, but the piss up ticks the box
No different to any normal SAFC awayday there then marra. It was £1.85 for southern comfort and lemonade I recall - in git posh cut glasses, or glarses as the bloke called them. I think they were doubles - lot more than Springwell Club at the time!

The gadgee behind the bar kept slipping freebies all night to keep us there and line his own pocket lol. Must have been good stuff as after a shower and a tube of toothpaste my cornflakes and bacon still tasted of Southern comfort:oops: - might have a souvenir crystal glass or two somewhere.....

I feel ill thinking about how much we drank in them days.... Couldn't do it now, but understand the young'uns doing it as part of growing up watching the traincrash that is SAFC!

Aye I did, one of the 5 times I saw us lose at the old Wembley !!!

Lost to frigging Wigan on pens, was called the Mercantile Credit Classic or some shite.

Just out of interest other defeats I endured were;

Norwich
Swindon
Liverpool
Charlton

Feck me I'm jinxed !!!!!!!!!!!!
We're all jinxed mate

Remember making friends with wolves and tranmere, who had numbers, remember Leeds fans came around from the other end, and ended up in the lower section of our quadrant, we were all singing were were you in 73, remember whole ground wanting tranmere to beat the mags.
I was 14 and enjoyed it

Remember making friends with wolves and tranmere, who had numbers, remember Leeds fans came around from the other end, and ended up in the lower section of our quadrant, we were all singing were were you in 73, remember whole ground wanting tranmere to beat the mags.
I was 14 and enjoyed it

Was the same age marra, but I sat in the main stand bit. The Leeds fans had done the conga through the sections, I remember watching thinking it wouldn't end well. I can only think there was no bother that day as tickets only went to supporters club members or such like...I might have just made that up like. Like Maximus stated, one of my memories was the sheer lack of Man Utd/Liverpool/Everton fans. It just seemed like us , Wigan, Tranmere , Wolves and even Leeds were having good craic, inside and outside - big game of footie in the car park.

So to answer the OP, the football side was absolutely shocking, all that expense and journey to watch 30 minutes of shite at the very end of the day. But the craic was canny, even for a 14 year old.

Palace and Leeds had around 5,000 each there by far the best supported clubs.

God knows why I went back on the Sunday.

Think there was a tarts match on the Sunday England v Ireland as well.

I'm amazed there wasn't more on here went as there was a few thousand. I'd forgotten about the massive footy game in the car park, though Sunday morning I was probably in capable of saying the word football, let alone playing the bugger.

I wish I could find the teams played as you think Man U etc. play weakened teams now, you should have seen what they put out. Well supported my arse. That goes for LFC as well. Maybe we were little clubs but as mentioned 4th division Tranmere had superb support and Wolves too. Proper club fell on Hard times but capable of a fantastic following. Leeds too tbf. Or maybe we are just pleased to get to Wembley?

Either way I reckon the big clubs knew and played the stiffs.

Was it really 88 and was I ever 23?

I was there. Terrible .
Makes you an über - affishal like;)

I'm amazed there wasn't more on here went as there was a few thousand. I'd forgotten about the massive footy game in the car park, though Sunday morning I was probably in capable of saying the word football, let alone playing the bugger.

I wish I could find the teams played as you think Man U etc. play weakened teams now, you should have seen what they put out. Well supported my arse. That goes for LFC as well. Maybe we were little clubs but as mentioned 4th division Tranmere had superb support and Wolves too. Proper club fell on Hard times but capable of a fantastic following. Leeds too tbf. Or maybe we are just pleased to get to Wembley?

Either way I reckon the big clubs knew and played the stiffs.

Was it really 88 and was I ever 23?

Makes you an über - affishal like;)

I fucked off first thing Sunday morning, couldn't face another day of it. Then again, 4 of us kipping in a VW Polo right underneath the twin towers was not much fun either.

Can only really remember the craic with the Tranmere fans and our typically bad performance. The main surprise was the lack of bother given the state of football back then.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back