For anyone who doubts football isn't gaining in popularity here in the US

Status
Not open for further replies.

damn NBCSN killed it with the first weekend of the PL here in the US

U.S. RECORD 3.3 MILLION TUNE IN TO NBC SPORTS GROUP’S OPENING WEEKEND OF PREMIER LEAGUE COVERAGE

• Most-Watched Opening Weekend Match: Saturday’s Arsenal v. Crystal Palace match on NBC averaged 885,000 viewers, ranking as the most-watched opening weekend match in U.S. history, topping by 12% last year’s opening weekend match on NBC (Swansea City v. Manchester United, 792,000).
  • Highest Opening Weekend Average Viewership: The five games on NBC and NBCSN averaged 545,000 viewers – 23% above the average for five games on opening weekend last year on NBC/NBCSN (443,000 average viewers).
  • Most-Watched Opening Weekend Match on Cable: Sunday’s Newcastle v. Manchester City match on NBCSN averaged 514,000 viewers, ranking as the most-watched opening weekend match on cable in U.S. history, topping 2012’s opening weekend Arsenal v. Sunderland match on ESPN (8/18/12, 476,000 viewers).
  • Most-Watched Opening Weekend on Cable in U.S. History: For games on cable, the four weekend matches on NBCSN averaged 463,000 viewers - ranking as the most-watched Premier League opening weekend on cable ever in the U.S., and a 30% increase from last year’s 356,000 average viewership for the four games on NBCSN.
  • More than 8.9 Million Minutes Streamed: Fans streamed more than 8.9 million minutes of action - best-ever for a Premier League weekend - via NBC Sports Live Extra, NBC Sports Group’s live streaming product for desktops, mobile devices and tablets, a 56% increase from last year’s 5.7 million minutes.

I don't doubt that you yanks haven't got a firm grasp of our language yet.

I am in the States at the moment, all the American kids in the hotel are wandering around in "soccer" kits and playing what we call football. I was surprised by this

Interesting.
I would love to see footy kill off some of their silly games like rounders.
is that the game where the winners are crowned world champions but no other countries take part, not to mention give a rats ass

I don't give a witches tit mate, sorry

I feel similar and I feel an urge to comment upon my, perhaps innaccurate, nostalgia about the times when the popularity of football was measured by how many people turned up to matches, rather than who was watching it on television 6000+ miles away.

Football is no longer football. It's telly.

is that the game where the winners are crowned world champions but no other countries take part, not to mention give a rats ass

Someone told me yonks ago that the name Baseball World Series was down to some newspaper reporting the results a century or so ago and the paper had the word 'world' in its name. No idea if that is true though.

Someone told me yonks ago that the name Baseball World Series was down to some newspaper reporting the results a century or so ago and the paper had the word 'world' in its name. No idea if that is true though.

It's not true. Or rather there is no hard evidence that it is true. The name was most likely dictated by the print news of the time though as their wasn't a league sanctioned name for the series initially. Originally it was a 'Cup' series (with an actual cup donated by some rich dude) but after that iteration died out, it had several names (none standard) such as championship series, world championship series, world's series, etc. World Series eventually became the standardized name.

Baseball has been around awhile.

True as far as I know.

Edit: maybe not, then.

Rounders has been around awhile.

Yeah you have nothing original over the pond but its a girly game anyway that's why its not a big spectator sport anywhere else. Rounders is good to play mind you and most of us grew up playing it.

The world cup probably had a lot to do with it as there was a lot of interest here. Where I'm working came to a virtual standstill when a game was on especially when the USA was playing.
There is genuine interest in the EPL here and I've had a few discussions with some knowledgeable people some have even heard of Sunderland

damn NBCSN killed it with the first weekend of the PL here in the US

U.S. RECORD 3.3 MILLION TUNE IN TO NBC SPORTS GROUP’S OPENING WEEKEND OF PREMIER LEAGUE COVERAGE

• Most-Watched Opening Weekend Match: Saturday’s Arsenal v. Crystal Palace match on NBC averaged 885,000 viewers, ranking as the most-watched opening weekend match in U.S. history, topping by 12% last year’s opening weekend match on NBC (Swansea City v. Manchester United, 792,000).
  • Highest Opening Weekend Average Viewership: The five games on NBC and NBCSN averaged 545,000 viewers – 23% above the average for five games on opening weekend last year on NBC/NBCSN (443,000 average viewers).
  • Most-Watched Opening Weekend Match on Cable: Sunday’s Newcastle v. Manchester City match on NBCSN averaged 514,000 viewers, ranking as the most-watched opening weekend match on cable in U.S. history, topping 2012’s opening weekend Arsenal v. Sunderland match on ESPN (8/18/12, 476,000 viewers).
  • Most-Watched Opening Weekend on Cable in U.S. History: For games on cable, the four weekend matches on NBCSN averaged 463,000 viewers - ranking as the most-watched Premier League opening weekend on cable ever in the U.S., and a 30% increase from last year’s 356,000 average viewership for the four games on NBCSN.
  • More than 8.9 Million Minutes Streamed: Fans streamed more than 8.9 million minutes of action - best-ever for a Premier League weekend - via NBC Sports Live Extra, NBC Sports Group’s live streaming product for desktops, mobile devices and tablets, a 56% increase from last year’s 5.7 million minutes.
Surely the main barrier is time difference? For example I am unable to watch NHL or UFC most of the time because its in the middle of the night.

I would love to watch NHL and UFC live but its difficult.

Surely the main barrier is time difference? For example I am unable to watch NHL or UFC most of the time because its in the middle of the night.

I would love to watch NHL and UFC live but its difficult.
Time difference is an issue. Saturday sunderland played at 10:00 am my time, and I couldn't watch because my son had a game at 9. Caught part of the second half mind.

Similarly, any mid-week game will be in the middle of the work day here.

It's actually rather impressive to get those numbers on a Saturday morning, especially considering it likely doesn't include many families with kids who play the sport.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back