Four years ago if someone said to you....

Status
Not open for further replies.
We'd have Wes Brown, O Shea, Jack Rodwell, Adam Johnson, Jermaine Defoe, an Italian international and Argentinian International in the same squad.
I'd have been over the moon with that you would think it would mean we had a decent side surprises me we are as bad as we are with those players in the team/squad.

True. Shame they're drilled into such defensive play.

I would agree if we looked like footballers during the games...but the fact is, the passing is shit, the movement is shit, the crosses are shit, the teamwork is shit...I don't care how bad the team is set up, they should still be able to do the basics right!! The team chemistry has been non-existent for years!
The biggest problem is we don't have a identity. We are not a long ball team, we dont put lots of crosses in (yet we have played with wingers all season) we dont pass and move alot. We dont have a game plan. You mention the passing is shit but at times last season when we were knocking it about was brilliant, that move at man utd when borini hit the bar for example, the problem is he has bought poor in terms of how he wants to play as i dont think the players other than buckley are too bad. He simply hasn't bought a centre midfielder that runs at teams. We have far too many defensive midfielders.

We'd have Wes Brown, O Shea, Jack Rodwell, Adam Johnson, Jermaine Defoe, an Italian international and Argentinian International in the same squad.
I'd have been over the moon with that you would think it would mean we had a decent side surprises me we are as bad as we are with those players in the team/squad.

Iam still we just need some tactics that make us attack

Did we? Someone should really remind us every so often

The OP apparently wasn't reminded as he took the position that we were worse off then than we are now. Bit bizarre to contrast our current squad with the one that got us our highest position in years (as Bruce likes to point out).

we have a good team, no more excuses.....when we have been relegated and have a crock of shit again, we'll hate poyet for sinking us and robbing us of our hope....

That's why he needs his best possible team on the pitch, sadly he doesn't seem to know what it is.
More a case of two or three players always being injured at any one time, has he ever been able to field what we\he thinks as his strongest team?

Last edited:
More a case of two or three players always being injured at any one time, has he ever been able to field what we\he thinks as his strongest team?

Best possible with who is available, even with a full squad I think he'd struggle anyway.
We are in need of the right players getting injured or suspended to take away some of his choices to be honest.

This is why it's all the more obvious to me how much some players are letting us down constantly. I have faith in the manager and I think with all our best players in the team we could be pretty good, but some of the shite passing, finishing and decision-making you see on the pitch is just pathetic.

We can be much better, but it's about time the players started fulfilling their potential.

Rodwell has been a joke, as has Fletcher, and Wickham has been abysmal.

Four years ago (2011-2011) we finished 10th with 47pts. In our squad we had Gordon, Mensah, Henderson, Malbranque, Muntari, Zenden, Gyan and Welbeck. I think the expectation would have been that we would have tried to build on that. Have we??
No we've gone backwards.

This is why it's all the more obvious to me how much some players are letting us down constantly. I have faith in the manager and I think with all our best players in the team we could be pretty good, but some of the shite passing, finishing and decision-making you see on the pitch is just pathetic.

We can be much better, but it's about time the players started fulfilling their potential.

Rodwell has been a joke, as has Fletcher, and Wickham has been abysmal.
I mean Fletcher with his showboating outside the box doesn't get us anywhere at all. I counted at least 5 back heels from him on Saturday which is madness. 4 times he lost the ball!!
That's just unintelligent football and our side is full of them.
Decision making is terrible.

Last edited by a moderator:
No we've gone backwards.

I mean Fletcher with his showboating outside the box doesn't get us anywhere at all. I counted at least 5 back heels from him on Saturday which is madness. 4 times he lost the ball!!
That's just unintelligent football and our side is full of them.
Decision making is terrible.

I am so sick of Fletcher. He does this every single game, I really don't like him. He is the most casual f***ing footballer, just does not give a shit. I hope we sell him in the summer. I wish I could say better things about Wickham but I honestly can't.

Agreed.

But so have Gus's other signings: Buckley, Gomez, Coates, Vergini, Jones, Bridcutt and Alvarez. Some success with PVA and Reveillere.

He hasn't half signed some shite and employed shockingly negative tactics. It's all down to him IMO

http://www.sunderlandecho.com/sport...e-final-say-on-sunderland-transfers-1-6916098

How much have we spent on those players though?

Buckley and Bridcutt were both £2.5 million. PVA was £3.5 million. The rest are frees and loans. So £8.5 million on 9 players. And we've needed all of them because our squad was thin. It's not like we could've spent that money on 1 quality player. Then you add in that we lost 4 key players in the summer and that was a squad that was in a relegation scrap all season. Usually, you get what you pay for and we have, once again, tried to rebuild on the cheap.

To answer the OP's question I doubt I'd have been amazed, because this time four years ago, we had Bent (although just about to lose him), Gyan and Welbeck and were in for Muntari and Sessegnon. I'd have been seriously surprised if someone had told me we'd lost Bent and Gyan and had only just signed a decent replacement now.

If what you say is true, it is a damning indictment of the management of the team that Poyet can't set the team up to get the best out of these star players.

If what you say is true, it is a damning indictment of the management of the team that Poyet can't set the team up to get the best out of these star players.
Exactly.

How much have we spent on those players though?

Buckley and Bridcutt were both £2.5 million. PVA was £3.5 million. The rest are frees and loans. So £8.5 million on 9 players. And we've needed all of them because our squad was thin. It's not like we could've spent that money on 1 quality player. Then you add in that we lost 4 key players in the summer and that was a squad that was in a relegation scrap all season. Usually, you get what you pay for and we have, once again, tried to rebuild on the cheap.

To answer the OP's question I doubt I'd have been amazed, because this time four years ago, we had Bent (although just about to lose him), Gyan and Welbeck and were in for Muntari and Sessegnon. I'd have been seriously surprised if someone had told me we'd lost Bent and Gyan and had only just signed a decent replacement now.
Well not amazed but you would think we wouldn't be one point of the relegation zone with those players in the side.
I hear what you say about the side four years ago Muntari was poor, Bruce sold Kenwyne to split up him and Bent.
I'd still have expected better than we are getting with the players mentioned.

Last edited by a moderator:
/QUOT

Brown = over the hill

O'Shea = good but not for 38 a season

Rodwell = all but forgotten during his City spell, 10m was crazy money

Johnson = thought he would stand out far more than he has done for SAFC. Inconsistent talent.

Defoe = he was in self-imposed exile for a reason, big gamble putting all faith in him

Italian/Argentinian - anonymous, can't have stood out since coming to England.

true and i bet a lot of the sides at the bottom can only dream of players of this ilk

QPR have these sorts of underachieving internationals and ex-big names coming out of their arse.

Villa have wasted England potential, a Dutch int. Centre back and Belgium's first choice striker

Hull also have former England international midfielders + Jelavic who would walk in the SAFC team

Leicester have young internationals + Cambiasso who's a bigger name than any oldies at safc

Burnley just have a hell of a spirit, they're the only ones who would 'dream' of such players.

/QUOT

Brown = over the hill

O'Shea = good but not for 38 a season

Rodwell = all but forgotten during his City spell, 10m was crazy money

Johnson = thought he would stand out far more than he has done for SAFC. Inconsistent talent.

Defoe = he was in self-imposed exile for a reason, big gamble putting all faith in him

Italian/Argentinian - anonymous, can't have stood out since coming to England.

QPR have these sorts of underachieving internationals and ex-big names coming out of their arse.

Villa have wasted England potential, a Dutch int. Centre back and Belgium's first choice striker

Hull also have former England international midfielders + Jelavic who would walk in the SAFC team

Leicester have young internationals + Cambiasso who's a bigger name than any oldies at safc

Burnley just have a hell of a spirit, they're the only ones who would 'dream' of such players.
Who are your good players?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back