Gary Breeds

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seen him play many a time for Whitburn in that time, absolute quality player. Like what has already been mentioned, yes he could have been the best of his time without doubt but he lived life how he wanted to live it. RIP Gary
@Boris Bear out of interest, did you play in that team?

Wondered what the poster in the Flying Boat was about last week. Only 45 ffs.

Can remember having a ruck with him and the Casuals down Olive Street when I was out with The Eagle lot in the late 80's. Canny footballer but couldn't run as fast as me like.

Wondered what the poster in the Flying Boat was about last week. Only 45 ffs.

Can remember having a ruck with him and the Casuals down Olive Street when I was out with The Eagle lot in the late 80's. Canny footballer but couldn't run as fast as me like.
How pleasant of you to post this.

A Redby school photo that one, Mr Mathews being the teacher. Won just about everything going.

Must be a mixed year team as Bert was a year younger than me at Redby and that picture has some from my year, some from the year above and only Bert from the year below me.

Still no idea how the lad with the glasses managed to get in the team, Couldn't hit a barn door from 10 paces. I think it was you had to have an equal opportunity kid in the team and he was the one.

Good lad was Bert despite the trouble he found himself in at times.

Some famous local names on that team sheet.
Mendonca & Howey - both who made it pro.
Dipper and Mitch Whellans - both involved heavily with the academy.
R.I.P Gary.

Didnt Robinson pay for Sunderland youth and ressie teams? Maybe even in a few first team games? Central midfielder? Or am I mixing him up with someone else?

If I were to compere Breeds with any modern day footballer I would say he was a midfield Rooney type.Its a great pity and lets be honest he wasted his talent as he could have been a household name in the 1990s if he had stayed on the right track.He was at Roker Park when Lawrie Mac was in charge maybe it would have been a different story if Dennis Smith had been there from the off with him.Smith s reign was a lot more successful than Mc Menemy s as we all know.

Last edited by a moderator:
Met Bert a few times through acquaintances & he always came across as a good fella, all this about he could of been this that & the other is irrelevant. His family & friends have lost a loved one that's what matters, the fella clearly touched a lot of hearts RIP.

Some famous local names on that team sheet.
Mendonca & Howey - both who made it pro.
Dipper and Mitch Whellans - both involved heavily with the academy.
R.I.P Gary.

And Burt was at least a year younger than the rest of them.

Needs confirmation like but been told his funeral is a week Monday at St Andrews for anyone interested in paying their respects.

Just read this on here , I'm quite literally stunned still , I'd heard he wasn't well, didn't realise it was as bad as it obviously was ...

When he played in the juniors nobody could get near him, and this was 20 a side football matches in a schoolyard ...

Always remember Mr Matthews ( pe, maths !) he had us all up Falwell on the pitches , waterlogged they were still had to play , breedsy just wanted the ball so bad .. Crazy talent ..I'll never forget that smile ..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back