Going to my first game!

Status
Not open for further replies.

SunderlandUSA

Central Defender
As a pre-Jozy American fan I am thrilled to have finally scheduled my flight and heading to England from America to see my first match in person at the SoL vs the Swans.

Any recommendations on the best place to stay in or around Sunderland? I'll have my Mrs and bairn with me as well.

We'll spend a few days in London and a few days in the northeast, what else should we do while in Sunderland?!

Cannit wait to cheer the lads on!

Hope you have a good time mate. Are you a mackem living in America or a proper American. Hard to give recommendations without knowing.

Well if you want a nice hotel Seaham hall is very nice but expensive. There is also the marriot hotel in seaburn which is on the beach and not far from the SOL and has decent pubs and restauraunts.

Depends what you're into tourism-wise but as just one suggestion definitely try and see Durham city while you're in the area. As an exile I don't know much about hotels in the area but plenty on here will.

I've stayed in the Marriott in Seaburn on a few occasions and never had any problems. If you want a bit of sightseeing and culture, stop in the Marriott in Durham. Stayed there a few years ago and was very impressed with it. Just remember that Sunderland was built on industrialism so the city will reflect that heritage. Durham on the other hand was built with vicars in mind. I've lived in both cities and both have their qualities, but if I was ever to return to the UK to live then I would choose to live in Durham.

Cheers all, staying by the sea sounds canny but I'll definitely visit Durham. I've always lived in blue collar towns in America so I imagine feeling right at home in Sunderland. Dare a venture to visit Newcastle? What about Alnwick Castle?

Alnwick castle is lovely, also cragside up that way and gibside in Gateshead. There is a lot of stunning countryside not far from the cities. How come you speak/type like a mackem? :lol:

Cheers all, staying by the sea sounds canny but I'll definitely visit Durham. I've always lived in blue collar towns in America so I imagine feeling right at home in Sunderland. Dare a venture to visit Newcastle? What about Alnwick Castle?

Newcastle is good for a night out but not much for a sight seeing tour with the Mrs and the bairn.

Get yaself to Beamish...
Ahh excellent, we have a similar place in America called Plymouth Plantation where the Pilgrims landed, would love to see and visit this place.

Alnwick castle is lovely, also cragside up that way and gibside in Gateshead. There is a lot of stunning countryside not far from the cities. How come you speak/type like a mackem? :lol:

You made my night, that is high praise marra, four years on these forums and I nearly have it down :cool:

Newcastle is good for a night out but not much for a sight seeing tour with the Mrs and the bairn.

Happy to have a reason to skip Newcastle :cool:

Definitley this.

Also if you want good views of Sunderland head to Penshaw Monument or Cleadon Hills. Both worth a visit.

Cheers, adding it to the list!

Last edited:
Its a no brainer mate. Stay at the Marriott at seaburn. Its right on the sea front so ask for a sea view and about 3 miles from the stadium. I'm on your side of the pond atm but lookingforward to getting home.
enjoy the game n get there early to take things in n get shirts n souvenirs from the club shop at the stadium.

Agree with Alnwick castle and its where they gilmed some of the first zharry Pottef so you'll have bragging rights too. :)

Its a no brainer mate. Stay at the Marriott at seaburn. Its right on the sea front so ask for a sea view and about 3 miles from the stadium. I'm on your side of the pond atm but lookingforward to getting home.
enjoy the game n get there early to take things in n get shirts n souvenirs from the club shop at the stadium.

Agree with Alnwick castle and its where they gilmed some of the first zharry Pottef so you'll have bragging rights too. :)

Ahh, good idea to ask for the sea view mate. I'l be leaving the SoL with my arms full from the shop ;)

Ahh, good idea to ask for the sea view mate. I'l be leaving the SoL with my arms full from the shop ;)

Nice 1.
I was at Universal studios Orlando today when an American cheered 'Sunderland' when he saw my sons strip. Made our day.

enjoy your visit, see if the club still do names on bricks on the stadium wall. Might be able to get ya name on the stadium. Nice legacy for ya family. Hope we get a result for you. Oh and contact the club to get your name on the board at half time or at least a mention. Be good for you to get a photo of ya name in lights for prosperity :)

Enjoy!

Nice 1.
I was at Universal studios Orlando today when an American cheered 'Sunderland' when he saw my sons strip. Made our day.

enjoy your visit, see if the club still do names on bricks on the stadium wall. Might be able to get ya name on the stadium. Nice legacy for ya family. Hope we get a result for you. Oh and contact the club to get your name on the board at half time or at least a mention. Be good for you to get a photo of ya name in lights for prosperity :)

Enjoy!

That is awesome - SAFC profile raising by the minute in the states - Jozy, the DC news, world cup and many Americans have a new found appreciation for true football.

I didn't know about the bricks or half time board, I will try and do that!

Are there any other places in Sunderland besides the SoL that are connected to the team? Can one visit the Academy?

I dont think u dan gisit the academy of light. Send the club an email n ask. The old stadium at roker park is all houses now. If you go for a walk along the sea front at whitburn there's a row of houses called the fishermzns cottages and a house has some old seats from the old roker park stadiumbin theirback garden you can see on the coastal walk lol

AoL is not open to visitors .
Agree with all above and would also recommend a visit to Mowbray Park and Winter Gardens / Museum for local history .
Beamish is a must do if you've never visited before , Durham City too.
Avoid the 'toon' and Alnwick not worth the effort if you only have a few days

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back