Great article on Vice today about the Miner's Strike in Easington

Status
Not open for further replies.

Good read that and great photos too.The SMB right wing loonies will be along in a minute for a rant.

Enjoyed that. I gan to easington colliery quite regularly with work. Doesn't half look sorry for itself.

Does anyone know much about Paul Wilkinson, the first bloke to break the strike at Easington? I know he was from bowburn. The reason I ask is a fairly distant family member from bowburn broke the strike too. He had to move away from the NE in the end as he was never forgiven. He ended up being a desperate alcoholic and no one from the family has heard from in years.

Last edited by a moderator:
Great stuff though reading it winds me right up,the paragraph about the banks and shafting the working class sums it up for me,i've always said you could never do the ££ numbers on the coal and mine alone,those pits created a little micro economy,all spending their cash and paying tax and being employed.The whole process effectively stopped all of that,ripped the heart out of people and cost a small fortune in benefits and various softeners for the locals

Cracking read that. Our lass's (Bella emberg crossed with olga biffil) fatha was at Murton for the strike and her granda was at easington.
Valid point about the money pumped into these post pit communities far outstripping any money used to prop up the mines. And there's still fuck tons left. One day... One day...

Cracking read that. Our lass's (Bella emberg crossed with olga biffil) fatha was at Murton for the strike and her granda was at easington.
Valid point about the money pumped into these post pit communities far outstripping any money used to prop up the mines. And there's still fuck tons left. One day... One day...
They've spent money on Murton ?

Enjoyed that. I gan to easington colliery quite regularly with work. Doesn't half look sorry for itself.

Does anyone know much about Paul Wilkinson, the first bloke to break the strike at Easington? I know he was from bowburn. The reason I ask is a fairly distant family member from bowburn broke the strike too. He had to move away from the NE in the end as he was never forgiven. He ended up being a desperate alcoholic and no one from the family has heard from in years.
Lots of stories like this Iam afraid....really sad that families were split....and some still are...for what?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back