Great article on Vice today about the Miner's Strike in Easington

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lots of stories like this Iam afraid....really sad that families were split....and some still are...for what?
Ultimately nothing in real terms. However, something lingers, some pride, some community. Mainly sadness

Ultimately nothing in real terms. However, something lingers, some pride, some community. Mainly sadness
Ultimately some complete self obsessed tossed in the corridors of government will have made a tidy packet out of using real lives as a personal play thing.

I'm not from these parts originally but have been looking at this in the school I work in- part of a local history project. We're at the point of discussing whether the mines should have closed or not. I've always thought the cost of social benefit needed must be close to any savings made. Any one got any specific examples of government spending? Is it true Nissan gets tax breaks for example?

Aren't our police wonderful ? And people on here refuse to believe Roger Senseless .

They do what they're told. The Army, Navy and Air Force don't always like doing what they're told to do, but they do it.

Would you really want the police to say no to the government because they personally disagreed with their actions? Just think what could happen if the government lose control of the police.

It there was sensible people on both sides there could still be a thriving if somewhat scaled down coal mining industry in this country today

Coal is a horrible, dirty fuel though.

The Germans use it to great effect with modern coal-fired power stations.
No reason whatsoever why we in the UK can't do the same as Germany.
Oh wait, hold on............... Thatcher privatised the power generating industry:evil:

I'm not saying it isn't useful but it's a fuel of the 18th, 19th and 20th centuries. We should be looking at sustainable, carbon-neutral forms of energy that aren't going to further damage the fragile environment we live in.

Lots of stories like this Iam afraid....really sad that families were split....and some still are...for what?
Two brothers from hetton still don't speak they both lived with there mam. At the time of the strike and for a couple of years after.
My dad fell out with one of his best mates who was a copper they made there peace about ten years after.

I'm not saying it isn't useful but it's a fuel of the 18th, 19th and 20th centuries. We should be looking at sustainable, carbon-neutral forms of energy that aren't going to further damage the fragile environment we live in.

We are. And the cost is f***ing astronomical.

I'm not from these parts originally but have been looking at this in the school I work in- part of a local history project. We're at the point of discussing whether the mines should have closed or not. I've always thought the cost of social benefit needed must be close to any savings made. Any one got any specific examples of government spending? Is it true Nissan gets tax breaks for example?

Nissan get subsidies from the taxpayer from the likes of grants and tax breaks. If we stopped this corporate welfare Nissan would no doubt up sticks and leave as would any of the other car manufacturers based in the UK who get a similar deal.

Cracking read that. Our lass's (Bella emberg crossed with olga biffil) fatha was at Murton for the strike and her granda was at easington.
Valid point about the money pumped into these post pit communities far outstripping any money used to prop up the mines. And there's still fuck tons left. One day... One day...

I wouldn't hold out much hope marra, it's a different world now.

There's a gadgie who lives just along the road from where I live who was a scab during the strike.
His brothers fell out with him, and as far as I know, still don't speak to him.
The gadgie in question is still referred to as "that scab bastard" around the doors.

Once a scab, always a scab.:evil:

There's a gadgie who lives just along the road from where I live who was a scab during the strike.
His brothers fell out with him, and as far as I know, still don't speak to him.
The gadgie in question is still referred to as "that scab bastard" around the doors.

Once a scab, always a scab.:evil:

Feel sorry for the bloke. Probably just wanted to provide for his family.

And the rest that stayed out didn't???
They were fighting for their livelihood's man!!!!

Feel sorry for a scab???? - f***ing Thatcher's child:evil:

I know what they were fighting for. Just saying I feel sorry for someone who didn't have the resolve or simply couldn't afford not to go to work and had to make an awful decision to go to work to make sure his family were okay, knowing the consequences

Don't bring Nissan into the coal industry closure discussion, we got Nissan as a milksop because they closed our Shipyards

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back