Growing up in Sunderland

• Thread starter Deleted member 23273
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
I grew up in Leeds and Googled one of the estates I lived in, and it has all been demolished.

It was a shit hole in fairness, but it saddened me to think I have some memories of being in that house and it is no more.

I lived in Bradford, it only just hit me the last time i went back, that my middle school and upper school have been demolished. Also quite a few of the pubs i went to have been demolished or now a take away or kindergarten. Even some of the woods, open ground I played on have gone. Only 42, and me childhood as been wiped out but in memory

its really quite sad, that I grew up in Sunderland...Middle Herrington to be precise, yet I've been looking through the nostalgic photos thread and I really don't recognize a lot of the photos of the town.
I know I moved away in 1982 when I was 17 and have visited sporadically since, but I really have no memory of some of the buildings that have been posted. Is that normal?

I grew up in East Herrington and, even though I now reside in Yorkshire, drive through The Herringtons twice a week.

It's a bit of a nostalgia trip to be honest.

The hill, parks, places where I got my head kicked in. It's all there

The 2 schools I went to and my old house have all been knocked down and replaced and I'm only 24!

Sunderland half changed in the past 20 years!

Mine anarl. Havelock and Pennywell Grammar for me. Both the houses (one in Ford, one in Pennywell) I was dragged up in are both surprisingly still standing though when all around them are not.

Mine anarl. Havelock and Pennywell Grammar for me. Both the houses (one in Ford, one in Pennywell) I was dragged up in are both surprisingly still standing though when all around them are not.

Our Pennywell one is still there, Ford Estate one long gone..
When I take the bairns home I take them to the site of our house in Ford and we gaze and the rolling hills and I tell them "when I was a boy this was all houses"

Same schools for me although Pennywell wasn't a Grammar School when I was there!

My old house on Forest Road is long gone!

Both of my early childhood houses have long gone ( Southwick Rd and around the corner in Pilgrim St ) but I can still remember them vividly, I can remember the local fish shop ( John's not Crozier St) I can remember the old Riley that was abandoned in the back lane that we used to play in ( I remember crying my eyes out when it was towed away) I can even remember the wallpaper on my bedroom wall. Think we moved out in 1975. On the other hand I've just went upstairs for something and cannot for the life of me remember what....

Our Pennywell one is still there, Ford Estate one long gone..
When I take the bairns home I take them to the site of our house in Ford and we gaze and the rolling hills and I tell them "when I was a boy this was all houses"

Same here, grew up in Pennywell, the bottom end near where Quarry View school was, never been arrested or stolen a car, but every part of my childhood has been ripped out. There's not even easy access to the river and Claxheugh Rock anymore.

Both comps I went to have been rebuilt and half of the Southwick and Pennywell I grew up in have gone. I'm only 31.

That said, my mam is in her 50s and most of that stuff was probably unchanged from when she was a kid, so it was well overdue.

Same here, grew up in Pennywell, the bottom end near where Quarry View school was, never been arrested or stolen a car, but every part of my childhood has been ripped out. There's not even easy access to the river and Claxheugh Rock anymore.

I've never nicked a car....

Born in new Durham road opposite the Star pub,long gone,then Lister st. pallion knocked down to extend Doxys engine works,then up to Thorney Close house still standing there.Town is unrecognisable from when i was a lad,pubs shops etc.changes haven't been for the better in my opinion of course.

I lived in Bradford, it only just hit me the last time i went back, that my middle school and upper school have been demolished. Also quite a few of the pubs i went to have been demolished or now a take away or kindergarten. Even some of the woods, open ground I played on have gone. Only 42, and me childhood as been wiped out but in memory
Its quite sad in a way. I wasnt that bothered until I started thinking about my own kids and their young lives with the experiences we have together. Getting sentimental in my old age!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back