Gus' overhaul

Status
Not open for further replies.
So it seems that Gus has been making the odd statements about what's wrong with the club and aiming them at the powers that be. Namely Short and Byrne while encompassing the Academy staff in that.

In his interview with The Guardian, he mentions nothing's really different between being an under 21 and a first teamer. They apparently all use the same gear, the same dressing room, the same gym and whatever else. That sounds fairly decent in my books. However it seems Gus is trying to place a greater split/divide/step between the kids and the first team.

What I interpret that to mean is that, perhaps for a greater separation of first team and academy, so the squads don't intermingle too often, and only the best from the youth team make that step up. Or perhaps he's considering taking away some of the kids toys? I don't really know. But I'm fairly sure Brighton have/had a good Youth setup, they had a few players come through during Gus' time there. So perhaps his new ideas and model will work?

We are releasing/have released a number of academy players recently and this was met with derision on here, but there were rumours of attitude issues with all of the players released, perhaps Gus believes the ingrained attitude from some staff is having a negative impact on the way the club is working? We've also heard stories of Ged MacNamee walking and talking like he owns the place, I can only speculate that he and Gus have come to blows about certain things.

I'm all for a change so long as us fans get some sound reasoning behind it all.

On a brighter note, in the same article he rather nonchalantly mentions he's absolutely fine working with Congerton and believes there will be no issues with player recruitment.

I think he means that the step from academy to first team isn't a big enough 'carrot' for the development squad.

Where's the incentive to work your arse off when you're already using exactly the same facilities and getting exactly the same benefits as a first teamer without any of the pressure that comes with it.

I think he seems to talk in riddles. I have absolutely no clue about anything he says. He contradicts himself constantly, never answers a question and his recent press conferences have been increasingly bizarre.

He may very well have a plan for reform and if given the chance hopefully he has some good ideas.

I think he means that the step from academy to first team isn't a big enough 'carrot' for the development squad.

Where's the incentive to work your arse off when you're already using exactly the same facilities and getting exactly the same benefits as a first teamer without any of the pressure that comes with it.
Mebbe its to keep the bairn's from picking up bad habits???

I wish he'd use an interpreter or stop talking in riddles. Everything he says can be taken several ways - and often is! Hardly in stilling confidence.

So it seems that Gus has been making the odd statements about what's wrong with the club and aiming them at the powers that be. Namely Short and Byrne while encompassing the Academy staff in that.

In his interview with The Guardian, he mentions nothing's really different between being an under 21 and a first teamer. They apparently all use the same gear, the same dressing room, the same gym and whatever else. That sounds fairly decent in my books. However it seems Gus is trying to place a greater split/divide/step between the kids and the first team.

What I interpret that to mean is that, perhaps for a greater separation of first team and academy, so the squads don't intermingle too often, and only the best from the youth team make that step up. Or perhaps he's considering taking away some of the kids toys? I don't really know. But I'm fairly sure Brighton have/had a good Youth setup, they had a few players come through during Gus' time there. So perhaps his new ideas and model will work?

We are releasing/have released a number of academy players recently and this was met with derision on here, but there were rumours of attitude issues with all of the players released, perhaps Gus believes the ingrained attitude from some staff is having a negative impact on the way the club is working? We've also heard stories of Ged MacNamee walking and talking like he owns the place, I can only speculate that he and Gus have come to blows about certain things.

I'm all for a change so long as us fans get some sound reasoning behind it all.

On a brighter note, in the same article he rather nonchalantly mentions he's absolutely fine working with Congerton and believes there will be no issues with player recruitment.

Maybe gus himself

Any new ideas for the academy are welcomed. Let him go for it. The academy set-up can't exactly get much worse

Maybe he means the difference in quality between the devolpment and first team isnt big enough they are both shit, and no matter who he brings in it wont make much difference at the minute

From what Ive heard this week I think Poyets mindset has imploded...this goes hand in hand with his barmy formations and selections ...hence our total capitulation

He's either trying to make himself so bad that Short has no option but to fire him...or he's just gone bananas under the pressure

His ability to construct an understandable sentence seems directly connected to our inability to win a game. If we don't win one soon I worry he will start speaking Swahili.

Maybe he's trying to be confusing so as to deflect attention from the pathetic and disorganized play of his team.

From what Ive heard this week I think Poyets mindset has imploded...this goes hand in hand with his barmy formations and selections ...hence our total capitulation

He's either trying to make himself so bad that Short has no option but to fire him...or he's just gone bananas under the pressure
I think he's trying to call out Short. If it works he gets backed and he has more control of things. He's a winner. If it doesn't he gets sacked from a job that there's no point being in, again he's a winner!

I think he's trying to call out Short. If it works he gets backed and he has more control of things. He's a winner. If it doesn't he gets sacked from a job that there's no point being in, again he's a winner!

This.

And if he's sacked a nice handsome payout.

Didn't Paolo instigate all this separation between 1st team and everyone else? Seems it's the continental way but our lot got a lip on about it, but if things like this are gonna be implemented now would be the time to do it, a massive exodus and influx of players mean he has to start things this summer how he means to go on, the manager should manage how he sees fit but as Gus is just '1st team coach' he feels he has little power over non-first team matters? This is the problem that he's been getting at imo...

Didn't Paolo instigate all this separation between 1st team and everyone else? Seems it's the continental way but our lot got a lip on about it, but if things like this are gonna be implemented now would be the time to do it, a massive exodus and influx of players mean he has to start things this summer how he means to go on, the manager should manage how he sees fit but as Gus is just '1st team coach' he feels he has little power over non-first team matters? This is the problem that he's been getting at imo...

He did and it was spot on. People came on here slating him and saying he was alienating the U21's from the first team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back