Gus Poyet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thought he was reasonable but lost it somewhat after the Southampton debacle.
Aye this killed him, I suppose he had enough personal pride to be truly hurt by that defeat, can't wait to see McLaren's reaction when it happens up the road(and it's coming....:D) Thought Poyet was okay mesel, not to say sacking him was wrong but I'll think of him as more good than bad (just!)

Shocking results against 'lesser' sides which nearly cost us our PL status, but some fantastic memories along the way. There was literally no middle ground, it was either utter dogshit or fantastic moments i.e. derbies, Cup run, Wembley, wins at Stamford Bridge and Old Trafford.

I liked him but he was sacked too late imo, thankfully we got away with it.

Shocking results against 'lesser' sides which nearly cost us our PL status, but some fantastic memories along the way. There was literally no middle ground, it was either utter dogshit or fantastic moments i.e. derbies, Cup run, Wembley, wins at Stamford Bridge and Old Trafford.

Personally thought he should've walked or sacked after the Bradford debacle

Thought he was reasonable but lost it somewhat after the Southampton debacle.
This is a bit of a myth, it was certainly damaging, but we won our next away game 3-1 against Palace.

If the Director of Football system had been used and enforced properly, I think he'd have been good.

He done a very good job with the side he inherited from Di Canio. We went on a decent run of form, played some good football with Ki in the middle of the park and turned a corner. We had some very good performances under Poyet. Man United away twice, cup and league, in particular was excellent. If that shot that hit the bar away to United in the league had gone in it would have been one of the best goals Ive ever seen Sunderland score. By our standards, it would have been on par with Carlos Alberto in 70.

Southampton away killed him. Lost the plot altogether after that. He threw his philosophy out of the window and turned us into a mongrel side.

did a decent job here, in the end the lack of funds killed him, and the signing that he did make well, bridcutt and buckley, i will say no more

Hard to know how good his recruitment is tbh, as with many recently because no fucker knows exactly who is responsible for what. All Poyet's ever said was that you recommend players and tell him what you need, then you're presented with players who you can get and you then say yes or no to them. If you're giving the nod to Rodwell, Buckley, Alvarez and Vergini then it suggests you're not being offered very much, because as much as Poyet got some things wrong, when he arrived it was obvious with the inclusions of Bardsley, Cattermole, giving Ki a key role and getting a left back in asap he wasn't stupid. Obviously he like Congerton bought some duds, with Bridcutt and Buckley being the main ones. Bridcutt was definitely a big choice of his, whereas Buckley arrived after every other wide player had turned us down, so was basically a body.

As for the others who knows because there's too much confusion between who has what say. We know Vergini was one he wanted and got, but then we know Rodriguez, Vargas, Borini and Williams were probably ones he wanted too and we got none of them. Was Pants one of his or Rodwell, PVA or were they Congerton's choices? With Coates you look towards the Uruguay link, but given he was signed just before the deadline when it was made clear Borini wasn't coming, it was probably all that was available on loan by then. Scocco is another who you would think was Poyet's, but we were also linked with him the previous summer, Ustari short term probably Poyet's and the most important signing made that January was Alonso on loan (which was the problem position) was that Di Fanti's influence or Poyet?

Whilst I didn't like the way he went on in the press when we were on a bad run, his spell in charge was overall fairly enjoyable. Obviously struggled in his second season but I still wasn't prepared to sack him when he went!

Honestly had some of the best times supporting the lads under him, trashing the mags not once, not twice but 3 times, got to Wembley and we played man utd off the park at old trafford. Personally I wonder if we had the same exact team we ad at that game in old trafford we might not of had that bad of a season last season although no one knows

I think with decent money to spend he would still be here. Pretty sure only one player he ever bought cost more than 5 million. Some of the stuff he got the team playing in his first season was great to watch.

If it wasn't for the signing of Jermaine Defoe I sincerely believe he would have been here another 6 months

Agreed, although I have to admit I couldn't stand the smug bellend.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back