Gus Staying....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aye. Just have misgivings about any manager demanding being hands on at the academy since it is highly unlikely he will ever see the full fruits of what he puts in place

I think that as long as it's the more superficial matters like the ones he is talking about and not actually trying to dictate the coaching etc, it'll be fine. Clear your conversations, btw ;)

To me, it is quite obvious what the message is from Poyet. If he is to stay, there must be a transition of power in the overall running of the club from the SoL to the AoL.

Root and branch transformation by football people, not suits. Policy regarding the youth / senior team and their inter-locking is being used, in this specific example, as another point in case as to how things need to change.

Poyet is advocating running the football club his way. I agree a manager should have this kind of power, but am not convinced Gus would necessarily be the right man. The fact he identifies it alone helps his case, though.

Whether he gets this power will be key to whether he stays.

This sounds right. Problem being Poyet seems to rate himself as being the one to do it. I'd rather he helped change things as part of a team than become another Quinn or De Fanti, taking on too much and bullshitting the rest.

Couldn't give a flying fuk if he left after tomorrow night

Cue 3-0 to Sunderland :D

I think that as long as it's the more superficial matters like the ones he is talking about and not actually trying to dictate the coaching etc, it'll be fine. Clear your conversations, btw ;)
Why should he not be able to dictate the coaching? Surely at the full time level of the academy he would be justified in doing that to ensure consistency and a smoother and indeed quicker route to the first team.

Done

If this is about club culture then I can't see who'd be against it tbh[/QUOTE
Only those currently setting the agenda....

May well be. He's definitely calling out the regime to back his changes, whatever they may be. Says happy to work with DOF also. Should think Ellis will back him.
Hopefully it also means he wants the youth team from all ages playing his way so that when they do step up they already know the roles

Why should he not be able to dictate the coaching? Surely at the full time level of the academy he would be justified in doing that to ensure consistency and a smoother and indeed quicker route to the first team.
He couldn't dictate a f***ing letter man. This is the result of recruiting someone who had never managed at this level.

Hopefully it also means he wants the youth team from all ages playing his way so that when they do step up they already know the roles
Spot on

He couldn't dictate a f***ing letter man. This is the result of recruiting someone who had never managed at this level.
Give Ower man. Played at the top level all his life and coached at this level with a first team and managed a decent size club in the second tier

I think that's more about philosophy rather than actual coaching, and I agree a philosophy needs to run through the whole club. But I was talking more about the individual developments of the young players and the wider policies of how to get the academy producing quality.

I think that's more about philosophy rather than actual coaching, and I agree a philosophy needs to run through the whole club. But I was talking more about the individual developments of the young players and the wider policies of how to get the academy producing quality.
I agree with that and suggest that is LC responsibility

Didn't he say this last week, then said he doesn't know a few days afterwards? He's done the same thing since the League Cup final.

Didn't he say this last week, then said he doesn't know a few days afterwards? He's done the same thing since the League Cup final.
He's talking in riddles. Absolute nonsense from day to day

"I'll walk away if the players give up" then it's "I wont walk away, I promise you"

The bloke has lost it

What he seems to be saying - and I apologize if I'm just running over covered ground here - is that the club and set-up has become complacent in a misguided notion that the academy system that is currently in place is going to burgeon just by the very nature of the system, but what has actually happened is that the academy set-up has been wrong-tracked into being an end in itself for those involved, and the notion that as long as the system is supplied as needed, this hoop-jumping is eventually going to lead to us harvesting a fresh crop of academy graduates, but; what has happened is that the over-reliance on the system and physical development of the academy players has, through some process, been internalised by staff and pupils alike. The grand issue, if I'm interpreting Mr. Poyet's diagnosis correctly, is mentality. There is a gap in the coherence of the initiatives, it has become as heterarchy of cells.

If that's indeed what he's trying to convey, it makes a whole lot of sense.

We need a radical change at the club. He seems willing to put the work in (providing he gets the power to do so from Short), so let him do it!
If it fails then at least we can say we tried something different and were committed to it. We've spent the last 10 years drifting and making short-term fixes, which is why we're in this mess

What he seems to be saying - and I apologize if I'm just running over covered ground here - is that the club and set-up has become complacent in a misguided notion that the academy system that is currently in place is going to burgeon just by the very nature of the system, but what has actually happened is that the academy set-up has been wrong-tracked into being an end in itself for those involved, and the notion that as long as the system is supplied as needed, this hoop-jumping is eventually going to lead to us harvesting a fresh crop of academy graduates, but; what has happened is that the over-reliance on the system and physical development of the academy players has, through some process, been internalised by staff and pupils alike. The grand issue, if I'm interpreting Mr. Poyet's diagnosis correctly, is mentality. There is a gap in the coherence of the initiatives, it has become as heterarchy of cells.

If that's indeed what he's trying to convey, it makes a whole lot of sense.
Bassa - beat me to it.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/apr/15/sunderland-gus-poyet-resign?CMP=twt_gu

What does he mean by this though?

"The change when you become a first-teamer is very small. I'd like to make it a little bit bigger. That doesn't say you're going to give the young players rubbish but it should be different. At the moment I'm the head coach, not the manager so it's not my responsibility."

He doesn't like the youth set up....Bally coddles them, wants a right of passage!

:lol:

Who's your man to do the job?

Last edited:
The whole fuss is mostly to do with the character of Gus Poyet. He will always want to change and improve the way of doing things.

It is not even an ego or power play (as others have accused him of) but simply his view of what needs to be done to succeed.

He is not necessarily right though. I do not think he is ideally the person in charge in a trench warfare relegation battle.

I took it to mean the youngsters got all the same facilities and set-up as the first team but haven't really earned it, the difference should be there to make them more hungry to succeed. When we recently released some of the youngsters there was a few rumours kicking about it was because their attitude wasn't right, could fit in with this?
Just goes to show why the AoL hasn't worked. We just chucked a load of money at it, thinking modern facilities would reward us with quality young players. The set-up has never been addressed in terms of getting the right personnel in to lead the project. Massive shame.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back