Gus Staying....

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/apr/15/sunderland-gus-poyet-resign?CMP=twt_gu

What does he mean by this though?

"The change when you become a first-teamer is very small. I'd like to make it a little bit bigger. That doesn't say you're going to give the young players rubbish but it should be different. At the moment I'm the head coach, not the manager so it's not my responsibility."

What he is saying is

I know the first team is shite but there is only a small difference between them and second team. Need to improve first team and make the gap bigger,

However this would still leave a shite second team

I hope so. I quite often struggle to understand his point.
His English is very conversational and I think it can sometimes be a little ambiguous - particularly when put in print. Can take a bit of decoding but I think that the majority of the time we should give him the benefit of the doubt.

I took it to mean the youngsters got all the same facilities and set-up as the first team but haven't really earned it, the difference should be there to make them more hungry to succeed. When we recently released some of the youngsters there was a few rumours kicking about it was because their attitude wasn't right, could fit in with this?

It sounds like this to me or thats how I read it. Maybe he has someone like Wickham in mind aswell.

Like many I think the club needs sorting because its a mess and there is definitely an attitude/mentality that needs shotting. Whether he is the right man is a different question, I don't honestly know, but what I do know if someone new comes in they will pull the wool over his eyes for a short period and we will be no further forward and he will need time to probably come to the same conclusion as the last 2.

The academy and scouting are clearly not producing what they should be. They should be under the microscope now. An organisation in a multi million pound industry needs to invest in the best people it can. If the rumour is true that Mcnamee is employing and signing relatives and friends he should be out the door and his little empire broken up. The other rumour about letting Henderson go before Keane stepped in is horrifying.

I look at it in the way he's the first manager in my lifetime to want to sort out such deep rooted problems, Bruce and oneill just wanted to throw money at the team.
Poyet wants to make us a full blown club, well ran professional club.

For me I'm fully behind him and I hope he gets it sorted, I have a feeling he will

I look at it in the way he's the first manager in my lifetime to want to sort out such deep rooted problems, Bruce and oneill just wanted to throw money at the team.

For me I'm fully behind him and I hope he gets it sorted, I have a feeling he will
He certainly isn't the first who wanted to. Hopefully he is the first who can actually do it.

Spot on. It's exciting to be in this position after so much shite.

Unless you're just a few months old Poyet isn't the first manager in your lifetime to want to sort out such deep rooted problems.
Paolo Di Canio wanted to make us a full blown, ultra-professional club. I hope Gus can do it but I would have had a lot more faith in Paolo.

He's not our first manager to allude to big problems inside the club though, both O'Neill and Di Canio told us this.

Well lets be honest, we all know something is seriously wrong with this club, it has moved from one disaster to another for decades. We constantly under achieve and despite playing staff coming and going, management coming and going and owners coming and going the club continues to be mired in mediocrity.

So back him, give him autonomy, let him shape the club in the way he wants. At the end of the day what on earth do we have to lose? Whats another 12 months of potential shite when you add it in to the last few decades of misery and shite? Poyet gave us a cup final this season and at times made that shower of shite that calls itself a first team squad look like a decent football team. He also did the double over the mags, including the most comprehensive win at the Wonga Dome that you any of us are ever likely to see in a long time. So we get relegated, ffs after the start we had it would have been a miracle not to be relegated. Im sure after 1 point in the opening 8 games if you had said look guys you will go down but will get to Wembley and take the piss out of the mags in the derbies most people would have ripped their hands off. :?:

Completely agree...and I hope and believe Short will back him.

Can't understand why anyone would have a problem with what he's said there. Refreshing honesty and it's about time somebody came out and told it like it is. SAFC is broken. Is Gus Poyet the man to fix it, who knows, but it sounds as though he's prepared to give it a go so let's hope the owner gets behind him as the alternative looks pretty grim to me.
Entirely this.

He's spot on with everything he's said there and needs to be backed to the hilt. This mess might take a few years to completely sort out.

It would be good to see youth players come through, not really fkd what the scenery is around them when they do it.

He has inadvertently hit the nail on the head though, where are our young lads coming through? Must be disheartening for all involved, and another waste of brass, give them a chance, or work out why they are not good enough.

I doubt they are worse than some of the lads we have paid cash for.

It sounds like this to me or thats how I read it. Maybe he has someone like Wickham in mind aswell.

Like many I think the club needs sorting because its a mess and there is definitely an attitude/mentality that needs shotting. Whether he is the right man is a different question, I don't honestly know, but what I do know if someone new comes in they will pull the wool over his eyes for a short period and we will be no further forward and he will need time to probably come to the same conclusion as the last 2.
Spot on and the reason we need stability, sounds like the grass roots at the club isn't being run professionally and hasn't been for some time. Like you say, it's probably going to take a new manager time to figure this out aswell. Let Gus and this congerton bloke sort it out.

To me, it is quite obvious what the message is from Poyet. If he is to stay, there must be a transition of power in the overall running of the club from the SoL to the AoL.

Root and branch transformation by football people, not suits. Policy regarding the youth / senior team and their inter-locking is being used, in this specific example, as another point in case as to how things need to change.

Poyet is advocating running the football club his way. I agree a manager should have this kind of power, but am not convinced Gus would necessarily be the right man. The fact he identifies it alone helps his case, though.

Whether he gets this power will be key to whether he stays.
It's clear as day, mate. He knows there's a mess & he wants to clear it up his way, as a a full manager with total control. Whether he's capable of doing it is another issue altogether. Given his January fumblings in the transfer market I wouldn't put him i/c of the coffee swindle.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/apr/15/sunderland-gus-poyet-resign?CMP=twt_gu

What does he mean by this though?

"The change when you become a first-teamer is very small. I'd like to make it a little bit bigger. That doesn't say you're going to give the young players rubbish but it should be different. At the moment I'm the head coach, not the manager so it's not my responsibility."
He's basically saying he wants full control and not have to chance getting what he wants from the DOF.

Unless you're just a few months old Poyet isn't the first manager in your lifetime to want to sort out such deep rooted problems.
Paolo Di Canio wanted to make us a full blown, ultra-professional club. I hope Gus can do it but I would have had a lot more faith in Paolo.

Very true about di canio, I was a fan of his too so quite bad I've overlooked him! He was spot on really, unfortunately he went over the top.

Don't remember oneill mentioning it, plus being here only 2 days a week don't know how he would have implemented it.

I'm glad poyet has put his thoughts out there, time for short to pick his man stock with him and back him

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back