Gyan off to China

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fossa

Midfield
Would've thought he had earned enough in the UAE, maybe even that league is too tough for him :rolleyes:

Don't blame him one iota for taking an alleged £200,000/week tax free wage. I do blame him for leaving us with a striker outside a transfer window though, but that could easily have been poor management on our part.

Don't blame him one iota for taking an alleged £200,000/week tax free wage. I do blame him for leaving us with a striker outside a transfer window though, but that could easily have been poor management on our part.

His background and childhood was so different to ours, that I think he would be genuinely shocked and confused to find out some people hate him for leaving for more money :lol:

His background and childhood was so different to ours, that I think he would be genuinely shocked and confused to find out some people hate him for leaving for more money :lol:
You're probably right on that. The bloke had barely any ties to Sunderland apart from his contract. I'd be amazed if anyone on here would stay loyal to their employer if a similar offer was on the table.

I read somewhere that one reason so many players are going to China this summer is because this is the last transfer window where dual-ownership is still allowed. Meaning that for these agents who own a % of the rights to a player this is their last chance of cashing in easily one last time, and China is an easy market to target for large fees, wages, agent cuts etc... Easier than trying to flog them to a decent European team anyway.

You're probably right on that. The bloke had barely any ties to Sunderland apart from his contract. I'd be amazed if anyone on here would stay loyal to their employer if a similar offer was on the table.
And it isn't like he moved to Stoke for a few £k more per week, wasn't the rumour that he increased his wage 5 fold, plus it was tax free as well?

Last edited by a moderator:
He’s obviously got ability, but seems to me that he doesn’t have the drive and desire to really be as good as he can be.

For the big tournaments, he can knuckle down for 4-5 weeks and perform against the very best, but when it comes to a domestic season he just doesn’t have the drive to give 110% for 8-9 months at a time, which you need at the top level.

The team was doing alright when he was here, so he was able to do well for us without really giving more than about 70% IMO.
But when the opportunity came to earn a fortune in a place he could give 50% each week and still look a superstar, he was off.

I don’t necessarily blame him for that… and if he’d just said that a few weeks earlier, I wouldn’t really have much of a problem with him.
But his head was obviously turned and he pretty much downed tools from what I gather, at a time when we couldn’t replace him.
That’s why I will always have an issue with him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back