He finished 10th y'knarr...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Folks yesterday, after the teams below us lost were whining and that we shouldn't be looking at other teams to do us favours. Well if wasn't for unexpected cock ups by other teams on the last day, we would have finished a few places below 10th. I remember watching that final day unfold in a pub, and so sure was I that we would finish about 14th-16th, that I was actually shocked at the 10th place. That season we had some great players, but they turned out to be mercenaries, and pissed off as soon as. Zendon, who'd been cracking, was let go by Bruce, and it wasn't long before the others walked.
There's nothing like revisionism when you're not happy with your current situation.

Aye, we've had some shite alright...

To be fair we lost 2-1 in the league cup but won the tie on pennas.
We still won though.

last season was anything but boring :D
And I didn't even mention the other 2 important victories ;)

He was only in charge for about a dozen games after that 10th place finish in which we were 16th the same as we are now.
I'm not getting into another Bruce debate but the constant mocking of his tenth place claim given our recent history makes us look a little silly in my opinion.

The trouble was him bleating on about getting us tenth when the league was so close. We ended up staying up by 8 points, last season even when dead and buried and needing a miracle we ended up safe by 5 points. The position glosses over the fact that, in reality, it was more of the same. 3 points "safer" than last seasons mob despite finishing the season with mignolet, henderson, zenden, malbranque, sessegnon, gyan.

It ended up being a decent season but nothing more than that, we ended up 1 point (which as you know can be won or lost by luck or bad refereeing) from 14th, it wasnt as if he had established us as a midtable club, as proved the next season when we were 16th, averaging under a point a game a third of the way through the season. He had the best squad we've had since coming up, by a distance, and did very little with it

But that really is completely irrelevant. We were the victors on the day, despite your desperate attempts at revisionism :lol:

Not at all.

You can't claim we beat Man Utd twice at Old Trafford when we simply didn't. We beat them 1-0 in the league. In the league cup we beat them 2-1 at home and lost 2-1 away, 3- 3 over 2 legs and then we beat them on penalties, admittedly at Old Trafford.

The whole Geordie Roots thing and the acrimony surrounding his final days at Sunderland will always leave a bad taste but Bruce did give us some good memories.
Bent, Gyan, Wellbeck, Zendon etc
The 0-3 at Chelsea will still stand as one of the best away performances in my lifetime.

His transfer record, like all mangers was mixed but even several managers later our side will feature several Bruce signings tomorrow night. O'Shea, Brown, Cattermole, Larsson and Wickham were all brought to the club by Bruce.

Agree that 0-3 at Chelsea was a superb performance, cannot re bet last Tim sunderland won at the reigning champions

The trouble was him bleating on about getting us tenth when the league was so close. We ended up staying up by 8 points, last season even when dead and buried and needing a miracle we ended up safe by 5 points. The position glosses over the fact that, in reality, it was more of the same. 3 points "safer" than last seasons mob despite finishing the season with mignolet, henderson, zenden, malbranque, sessegnon, gyan.

It ended up being a decent season but nothing more than that, we ended up 1 point (which as you know can be won or lost by luck or bad refereeing) from 14th, it wasnt as if he had established us as a midtable club, as proved the next season when we were 16th, averaging under a point a game a third of the way through the season. He had the best squad we've had since coming up, by a distance, and did very little with it
Exactly, i blame bent tbh.

And after that wonderful season it seems the majority now want the manager sacked!
The majority would like to finish mid table every year for eternity, i personally love supporting us because of the up and down nature. Give me a relegation battle over mid table boredom. and a cup run or two ;)

Would Bruce get slack about being a Geordie if he was made manager at Man U? Since they're main rivals and all???

Not at all.

You can't claim we beat Man Utd twice at Old Trafford when we simply didn't. We beat them 1-0 in the league. In the league cup we beat them 2-1 at home and lost 2-1 away, 3- 3 over 2 legs and then we beat them on penalties, admittedly at Old Trafford.
Only a total pedant would feel the need to justify that.

And after that wonderful season it seems the majority now want the manager sacked!
Just like they did with Bruce. We haven't had a manager who can sustain success, and neither Bruce or Poyet have been able to escape that fact. However, Poyet, has actually been the most successful of the 2 so far.

Superb post. The first line explains exactly why so many of our fans laugh at it. Those posters who constantly stick up for him, as if he was some kind of managerial god, have spent the last few seasons with their fingers in their ears. They've conveniently forgotten the whining on that he's done in the press, about how badly he was treated here. He's a very bitter man, as is shown by his utter determination to beat us at all costs, and to cause as much damage to us as possible when doing so. How come he was unable to beat the Mags, or Man Utd in such a way?

Last edited:
I'd suggest 14th, a Cup Final, and beating Chelsea at the Bridge, and twice beating Man Utd at Old Trafford, betters that one by a country mile.
10th is better than 14th and beating chelsea and man utd means fuck all in the grand scheme of things.
The cup final was an achievement however.

We were 1 point above 14th FFS, without all the other successes we had last season. You're so far up Bruce's well proportioned arse, that you can't see the wood for the trees.
Man city won the league with last kick of season as well or they'd have finished second.
Does the final position only count if it's done emphatically?
We finished tenth under Bruce and it remains the third best finish in over 50 year! FACT!

The season starts when we've played no one, and ends when we've played everyone. Fans on here use the argument "the league table doesn't lie," when they're complaining about a bad run, only halfway down the bottom-half, barely two-thirds of the way through the season, but when it comes to criticising Steve Bruce people don't like hearing he managed us to one of our highest finishes in the last 60 years.
Its nowt to do with that, its the fact he keeps banging on about it, aswell as being a geordie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back