Holiday home/ retreat

Status
Not open for further replies.

mr lordi

Central Defender
Does anyone on here have somewhere where you can just bugger off as and when you please, I'm looking for some inspiration within in an hour or so from Harrogate. Cottage,Caravan,chalet or maybe tourer hitched up somewhere permanant and nice. Have always wanted my own and would consider another mortgage. What you got?

Sounds great but it's the obligation to head to the same place that gets me , I had a static in Leyburn when my son was little and it was hard work.Tend to go for indulgent treats here and there mixed with the odd out on my own moments

Had a caravan at saltburn for 30 yrs , sold it this year , we spend 7 or 8 wks every summer in the states so wasn't getting to the van enough to justify the annual site fee ( £2500 ) , love saltburn mind.

nice site at Ripon, cannot remember its name. very clean and tidy. does not allow anybody other than the owners to use the van / chalet.
cannot recall the annual site fees either. all in all we came to the conclusion that due to the football, we would not really get value for money and as the site fees were in the 1,000s it would make sense for us just to book a weekend / week away when we fancied it. still long to buy a holiday home on a Greek island though

The family have had a caravan up Hamsterley for over 30 years (well several over the years, not the same one). In 40 minutes after work on a Friday night your sitting up there, in peace and quiet. The bairns love it, and so do I, lovely and relaxing. And a great base for day trips here and there, or just for dodging round the forest and then heading to the local pub for some ales and scran.

Had a caravan at saltburn for 30 yrs , sold it this year , we spend 7 or 8 wks every summer in the states so wasn't getting to the van enough to justify the annual site fee ( £2500 ) , love saltburn mind.
My first ever foray into the world of caravanning was a week in saltburn. Its lovely.

Sited ours on and off now for a few years. It is lovely to finish work and get there mind

My first ever foray into the world of caravanning was a week in saltburn. Its lovely.

Sited ours on and off now for a few years. It is lovely to finish work and get there mind

It is nice Saltburn, I work near there and when the suns out I make sure I've got a site visit there

What's got me thinking about this is as we have a dog and all our breaks away are dog related so we tend to hire static caravans and often go to berwick two or three times a year and do a lot of walking in the area, we always hire a private let from the same owner ( lovely van) and have realised that I'm paying nearly half his rent for the year. Rent for the year at that park just about everything included is about £4000 which is probably about the price of an amazing holiday abroad with my missus and two kids so figured why not get something for year for the same price. Only downside is Berwick is two to three hours away and the static is probably £20,000 which is a lot of short breaks I suppose.

Was it at Hazelgrove park?

Last edited:
What's got me thinking about this is as we have a dog and all our breaks away are dog related so we tend to hire static caravans and often go to berwick two or three times a year and do a lot of walking in the area, we always hire a private let from the same owner ( lovely van) and have realised that I'm paying nearly half his rent for the year. Rent for the year at that park just about everything included is about £4000 which is probably about the price of an amazing holiday abroad with my missus and two kids so figured why not get something for year for the same price. Only downside is Berwick is two to three hours away and the static is probably £20,000 which is a lot of short breaks I suppose.

Was it at Hazelgrove park?
£4000 is a lot for site fees.

The site we're in is around £1800, but there's nothing on the site, no pubs etc. but that's how we like it, nice and quiet.

The family have had a caravan up Hamsterley for over 30 years (well several over the years, not the same one). In 40 minutes after work on a Friday night your sitting up there, in peace and quiet. The bairns love it, and so do I, lovely and relaxing. And a great base for day trips here and there, or just for dodging round the forest and then heading to the local pub for some ales and scran.
Which park are you at, greenacres? Only 60 miles away from me.

£4000 is a lot for site fees.

The site we're in is around £1800, but there's nothing on the site, no pubs etc. but that's how we like it, nice and quiet.
Nothing better than a stroll down to the local. That £4000 is for everything but the views are amazing as your right on the sea cliff looking out at sea.

Which park are you at, greenacres? Only 60 miles away from me.
Nothing better than a stroll down to the local. That £4000 is for everything but the views are amazing as your right on the sea cliff looking out at sea.

Aye it's Greenacres. Like I said, nothing on the site. Only about 40 caravans, it's well kept, nice and quiet and is a few minutes walk into Hamsterley Village. But acts as a great base to dodge around that area.

I've visited a few larger sites which have onsite shops, boozers and even swimming pools, and without being a snob, they seem to attract a lot of absolute arseholes who just get pissed up and let the bairns run riot.

Aye it's Greenacres. Like I said, nothing on the site. Only about 40 caravans, it's well kept, nice and quiet and is a few minutes walk into Hamsterley Village. But acts as a great base to dodge around that area.

I've visited a few larger sites which have onsite shops, boozers and even swimming pools, and without being a snob, they seem to attract a lot of absolute arseholes who just get pissed up and let the bairns run riot.
Agree totally, you see a lot of that at the bigger parks, we just do our own thing and tend to stay away from the noise. Might have a drive up that way and see what's about,Site fees look really reasonable and only an hour away from us.

Surprised it took until the last sentence mind! ;)

That happened to my parents. They had a tourer permanently on a site in Stanhope, but found it too big and noisy. They moved to another site which just had caravans on and nothing else and it was much more peaceful.

That's another option - buy a tourer and site it on a permanent pitch, so you can have your regular weekends in one spot but have the option to take it off and go elsewhere for a longer holiday.

That happened to my parents. They had a tourer permanently on a site in Stanhope, but found it too big and noisy. They moved to another site which just had caravans on and nothing else and it was much more peaceful.

That's another option - buy a tourer and site it on a permanent pitch, so you can have your regular weekends in one spot but have the option to take it off and go elsewhere for a longer holiday.
That's crossed my mind too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back