Home insurance question

Our lass dropped her phone as she was getting out of the car on the driveway and smashed to bits.
We have accidental damage cover for personal belongings.
The company have refused the claim as it was in an open area such as garden or drive.
They say it's only covered for in the home and away from the home.
So not the bits between.
Anyone ever heard of this?

Our lass dropped her phone as she was getting out of the car on the driveway and smashed to bits.
The company have refused the claim as it was in an open area such as garden or drive.
So not the bits between.
Any cover for items away from the home?

Edit: read it again.

Next time, pretend that it was away from the home.

So not the bits between.
I'd be challenging that to be honest like. Ask them to show where 'the home' is defined in your policy wording or a specific exclusion. Otherwise it is reasonable to assume that the home covers the boundary that you own as the home owner/tenant. And away from home being anything else.

So not the bits between.

Get them to define the boundaries in the policy.
That doesn’t sound fair.
So dropping the phone on the kitchen floor is covered yet a driveway a few feet from the house is not.

I told her to ask for clarification.
They mentioned that the policy doesn't include items that are kept in open areas but in the policy it's sqys in the garden such as patio furniture, bbqs etc
I've told her to contest it. I think they are fkin scheisters like. Bunch of kernts
You pay insurance all your life and you expect them to help you out on the odd accasion you need them.
This is the first claim for years
Get them to define the boundaries in the policy.
That doesn’t sound fair.
So dropping the phone on the kitchen floor is covered yet a driveway a few feet from the house is not.
It would have been covered a yard away on the path outside the boundary apparently

Last edited:
I m really really convinced she dropped it on the hard tiled kitchen floor .
Shame you weren't the woman from the insurance company. The horrible cow I hope her next shit is a gorse bush

Our lass is really upset by it. It's the first time she's ever treated herself to an expensive phone. Only 6 months old

Shame you weren't the woman from the insurance company. The horrible cow I hope her next shit is a gorse bush

Our lass is really upset by it. It's the first time she's ever treated herself to an expensive phone. Only 6 months old
It’s a shitter mate - especially when certain folk get away with false claims without question.

You need to get a burner , drop that on the “ hard tiles “ and claim for the expensive one - of course I didn’t suggest that.

Don't blame the call centre worker, she doesn't make the rules.

That's crap that. You'd expect home and away from home cover to cover everywhere, not everywhere apart from your driveway.

Years back my boys had Nintendo DS handhelds and I bought the accidental damage cover from Argos. One dropped his on the drive when he was getting out the car and it broke. Argos replaced that straight away in the shop.

That's crap that. You'd expect home and away from home cover to cover everywhere, not everywhere apart from your driveway.

Years back my boys had Nintendo DS handhelds and I bought the accidental damage cover from Argos. One dropped his on the drive when he was getting out the car and it broke. Argos replaced that straight away in the shop.
I hear all the time people claiming this that and tuther without problems. Regular anarl.
Don't blame the call centre worker, she doesn't make the rules.
I will. She keeps twisting our lasses words around. I've been listening to some of the conversations.

Get them to highlight and email her where 'home' and 'away from the home' are defined in the policy. If there is any ambiguity firstly make a formal complaint against their refusal to pay out and at the same time ask them for the contact details for the financial ombudsman.
And do the above by email. Phone calls can always be denied.

Last edited:
Has your bank account not got phone insurance, if either of you have an account with extras phones will be covered. I'm with Lloyds and every fee based account has phone cover. Good luck đź‘Ť

According to Confused

"Cover away from home protects your possessions once you step outside your front door. For example, if someone steals your wallet at the shops, or if your phone smashes on the ground while jogging.

Your home also includes your garden. So, if you lose or damage anything in your garden, you claim on your regular home insurance policy.
"

Back