Homebrewing - Part 3

Is this to stop water coming up through the floor? If so I've got the same problem in my garage, what have you put down?

See the dark patch across the bottom at the back? My water is coming through the bottom course of bricks and between the floor and the walls.
I've painted a coat of this stuff on it - http://www.screwfix.com/p/sika-5-28kg/83502

Needs a second and maybe third coat though - only problem is, it won't dry out - because of the wet bricks being against the soil out the back.
Hopefully it will dry eventually. Since its pissing it down now, I'm going to nip round after work and see if its a swimming pool or not again.

got a basic starters kit last summer, and since then just been using wilkos products

wondering if there any other shops you would recommend or products?

got a basic starters kit last summer, and since then just been using wilkos products

wondering if there any other shops you would recommend or products?
Youngs American kits are very good and most of the posters on this thread swear by wherry (also available at wilko). If you can stomach delivery there are loads of good online shops (I tend to favour brew UK) and if you need a few bits you can bulk order to save on delivery, I tended to order 3 or 4 kits as it meant free delivery.

I did say it might take a while. :lol:

To be fair, I can think of worse ways to spend an evening. Sat having a few beers, waiting for the next task.

Doubt I'll be this chuffed about the late night when I get up for graft in the morning though :lol:

You were right about the metal paddle, the plastic one was knackering when mashing in.

To be fair, I can think of worse ways to spend an evening. Sat having a few beers, waiting for the next task.

Doubt I'll be this chuffed about the late night when I get up for graft in the morning though :lol:

You were right about the metal paddle, the plastic one was knackering when mashing in.
Aye, it's good fun. Just make sure you don't get too hammered otherwise you'll be up early in the morning to make sure you pitched the yeast like I was on my second brew! :lol:

See the dark patch across the bottom at the back? My water is coming through the bottom course of bricks and between the floor and the walls.
I've painted a coat of this stuff on it - http://www.screwfix.com/p/sika-5-28kg/83502

Needs a second and maybe third coat though - only problem is, it won't dry out - because of the wet bricks being against the soil out the back.
Hopefully it will dry eventually. Since its pissing it down now, I'm going to nip round after work and see if its a swimming pool or not again.

Aye i put down some bitumen DPM paint but it hasnt really done the trick so gonna have to strip it all back to the concrete and try KA tanking slurry, fingers crossed it works, not too expensive either.

http://www.kabuildingproducts.co.uk/page_2350337.html

Been reading this thread for the last week or so and want to give homebrewing a go. What would yous recommend as a good starter pack?

Aye i put down some bitumen DPM paint but it hasnt really done the trick so gonna have to strip it all back to the concrete and try KA tanking slurry, fingers crossed it works, not too expensive either.

Been reading this thread for the last week or so and want to give homebrewing a go. What would yous recommend as a good starter pack?

Aye, the stuff I'm using is tanking slurry. Bitumen paint is basically the same idea though - my BiL is a builder, and he told me to try the Bitumen stuff if the tanking slurry doesn't work! Swings and Roundabouts.
My FiL suggested something though - if all else fails, just a course of concrete blocks down, with an inch gap to the wall, which you fill with stiff mortar. That'll do it!

You might have the same problem as me though - its not leaking through tiny cracks, its coming through larger holes in the mortar - which I've been re-pointing to fill as much as possible. I'm going to put 1-2 more thick coats on before I give in. I can actually live with a small amount of water too - just don't want a bastard flood again!

Starter kits are fine. This sort of thing would work
http://www.home-brew-online.com/sta...dfordes-micro-brewery-with-barrel-wherry-p815

Need to look into whether you want to barrel it or bottle it though. Kits are available with PET bottles instead
or you can just buy the individual bits and use 2L pop bottles, which I found MUCH easier starting out.

The coopers starter kit is meant to be good. I was given a 1g starter kit as a present and just added the bits as and when, the basic stuff is all pretty cheap and is perfect for starting out.

@dixonsafc what time did you get finished?

Yeh, I got a Coopers kit.
Not sure its good VFM though. FV is £15, you can get better sterilising stuff. A Hydrometer and spoon isn't expensive and 2L pop bottles are free.
Suppose you get a beerkit with them, but still...

Like I said, if you want to barrel, they're better value imo.

Like I said, if you want to barrel, they're better value imo.
Definitely, depends how often you're going to brew and how much you drink tho. The beer doesn't keep as well once you've started and you have to finish a brew before starting a new one. Bottles are a massive pain in the arse tho.

Definitely, depends how often you're going to brew and how much you drink tho. The beer doesn't keep as well once you've started and you have to finish a brew before starting a new one. Bottles are a massive pain in the arse tho.

You can leave a beer in the FV for 3-4 weeks without a problem. So you can brew before you're finished - but yeh, not quite as often.
That's why I avoided barrels though - I was never going to drink 40pints inside of a month at home.

I'm investing in a bottling tree and squirter thingy - apparently makes bottling a billion times less of an absolute fuck on!

Back