Homebrewing - Part 3

I'm investing in a bottling tree and squirter thingy - apparently makes bottling a billion times less of an absolute fuck on!
Definitely, I use mine with star San and can sanitise 40 bottles in a few minutes. Look at a bottling stock/wand if you don't already have one, another time saver. It's still a pain tho. :lol:

Feeling it today, by the time cleaning was sorted and everything was finished it was about 3.30am.

Had to be up for graft at 7. Plenty of coffee today!

Second all grain brew on Sunday. Starting at 9 to be ready for the Mag relegation party.

Copying @DoctorMick and hoying on the Kernel double citra IPA. Need to pick up some muslin bags tomorrow. Did you use Irish moss/protofloc Mick?

Second all grain brew on Sunday. Starting at 9 to be ready for the Mag relegation party.

Copying @DoctorMick and hoying on the Kernel double citra IPA. Need to pick up some muslin bags tomorrow. Did you use Irish moss/protofloc Mick?
Used protofloc and it's very clear, slightly darker than a usual IPA which is either down to the massive amount of grain or one of my mistakes! Good luck with the stirring the grains...if you don't have a metal paddle yet I'd try a spade! :lol: the grains came very close to the top of the overflow pipe for me and I kept knocking the cover cap off which was a massive pain.

got a basic starters kit last summer, and since then just been using wilkos products

wondering if there any other shops you would recommend or products?

I've found the Wilkos kits canny, but improve with dry malt extract as well as sugar. Expensive in Wilko though. The shop in houghton sells bags of dme cheaper tho.

Been reading this thread for the last week or so and want to give homebrewing a go. What would yous recommend as a good starter pack?

It's already been mentioned on here about wether you want to bottle or keg.

The Wilkos starter pack has a barrel involved, but you don't need it if you want to bottle.

I'd try through wilkinsons. Buy a fermenting bucket and siphon. Get cheap kit and start from there. If you are patient add a few days to the kit instructions.

I started off as a lager drinker but found home brew lager shite so tried other stuff. That's when I enjoyed it more.

Used protofloc and it's very clear, slightly darker than a usual IPA which is either down to the massive amount of grain or one of my mistakes! Good luck with the stirring the grains...if you don't have a metal paddle yet I'd try a spade! :lol: the grains came very close to the top of the overflow pipe for me and I kept knocking the cover cap off which was a massive pain.

Off down the LHBS today, so going to see about a stainless steel paddle :lol:

Should make for a more enjoyable brewday tomorrow, watch the cricket and have a bbq (weather permitting) rather than night shift after a 12 hour stint at graft!

Thinking about picking up the ingredients for a India Red Ale recipe i've been working on while i'm down there. Not sure if it'll work, but I think i've read enough to be confident to have a go. Going to hop it to high hell with 100g each of Simcoe and Centennial. Use the Simcoe for bittering and flavour/aroma. Centennial in just the late additions/dry hop.

Went and picked up another brews worth of grain and hops. Didn't have any Centennial so got Amarillo instead.

Might gan for it and do 2 brews tomorrow? :lol:

Last edited:
Off down the LHBS today, so going to see about a stainless steel paddle :lol:

Should make for a more enjoyable brewday tomorrow, watch the cricket and have a bbq (weather permitting) rather than night shift after a 12 hour stint at graft!

Thinking about picking up the ingredients for a India Red Ale recipe i've been working on while i'm down there. Not sure if it'll work, but I think i've read enough to be confident to have a go. Going to hop it to high hell with 100g each of Simcoe and Centennial. Use the Simcoe for bittering and flavour/aroma. Centennial in just the late additions/dry hop.

Went and picked up another brews worth of grain and hops. Didn't have any Centennial so got Amarillo instead.

Might gan for it and do 2 brews tomorrow? :lol:
That's a lot of hops, I like it! What abv you aiming for? How much of the simcoe are you going to chuck in early doors? What are you using for the red colour?

2 in a day, don't think I could be arsed with that personally. :lol:

That's a lot of hops, I like it! What abv you aiming for? How much of the simcoe are you going to chuck in early doors? What are you using for the red colour?

2 in a day, don't think I could be arsed with that personally. :lol:

Used that 'brewtarget' freeware to fiddle about with a recipe. Aiming for 7.5% (that's at 70% efficiency, which is a fairly conservative amount i think. Judging by the first brew we did) and around about 70ibus. 30g of Simcoe in at the start of the boil, then the a small (by small, i mean in terms of the style. Still think it'll be a fair few hops) addition at 15 and 5. Then loads at flameout, and a big dry hop.

For the red, i'm using a small amount of carafa special III and carared. Not sure how 'red' it'll end up, but was reading that apparently carafa special III is what they use in Sierra Red Flipside, which is one of my favourites of this style and it's got a lovely deep red colour. The rest of the carafa special will be used in some black IPAs i'm planning in the future.

Back