Homemade curries

Status
Not open for further replies.
I like to think of myself as someone that can cook, really well actually. Don't know why, I just get it.

However, there is one thing I don't ''get''. Homemade curries. for some reason, can't do them. Follow the recipes to the letter and they normally turn out to be just alright! Where as I read on here how nice everyone does one and I am jealous. I love a good curry.

Are there any fool proof recipes out there that people swear by or any hints or tips? I just think fuck it and buy them fromt the take away. However, as I don't eat alot of takeaways i end up having them few and far between.

Give me your guidance! Ta

I like to think of myself as someone that can cook, really well actually. Don't know why, I just get it.

However, there is one thing I don't ''get''. Homemade curries. for some reason, can't do them. Follow the recipes to the letter and they normally turn out to be just alright! Where as I read on here how nice everyone does one and I am jealous. I love a good curry.

Are there any fool proof recipes out there that people swear by or any hints or tips? I just think fuck it and buy them fromt the take away. However, as I don't eat alot of takeaways i end up having them few and far between.

I think ghee is the difference.

What recipes are you using?

just been talking about this in the orifice. chicken tikka from the indian the other night was awesome. i wanna make just like that at home and eat it 5 nights out of 7.

Follow recipe after about 2 mins in

Fry onions. Turn down the heat and add any other veg. Chuck in some flower and tomato puree. Splash on the meat stock. Chuck in curry powder, salt, pepper, paprika and nay spice you can get a hold of. Throw the meat on and give a little stir now and then over the next 40 or so minutes.

Make a base gravy and use it for all curries:

It'll change your life marra. Use ghee instead of oil if you like.

I find a lot of the stuff on BBC and good food tend to be quite dull. I've got a Madhur Jaffrey book with some excellent recipes though.
I agree - got two of her books and they're both excellent. Most "proper" indian cook books advocate home style cooking which is nothing like you get in the restaurants.

There's no hard and fast rule about "hoy this spice in, always use ghee" etc as each curry's different. Within any large decent recipe book you should find at least half a dozen or so that you really like and that rise above just being OK.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back