Homemade curries

Status
Not open for further replies.

some of the mild curries have palm sugar in , maybe Korma etc
but just make me own & chuck any spices in & curry powder and the family seem to like it.

I like authentic tasting currys as well as the restaurant type ones. If you want the take-a-way taste powdered cinnamon and pureed onions is the only way.

Fry onions. Turn down the heat and add any other veg. Chuck in some flower and tomato puree. Splash on the meat stock. Chuck in curry powder, salt, pepper, paprika and nay spice you can get a hold of. Throw the meat on and give a little stir now and then over the next 40 or so minutes.
you missed out the raisins!!!! honestly that sounds like the crap curries me mam used to make in the 70s sorry lol

Fry onions. Turn down the heat and add any other veg. Chuck in some flower and tomato puree. Splash on the meat stock. Chuck in curry powder, salt, pepper, paprika and nay spice you can get a hold of. Throw the meat on and give a little stir now and then over the next 40 or so minutes.
tulips?

This is summit I'll make quite often then freeze it

2 tea sp garam masala
2 table sp Caribbean hot curry powder
1 table sp ground corriander
1 tea sp turmeric
2 big sticks of cinnamon
2 tea sp fenugreek seeds
1/2 tea sp ground black cardamom
6 green cardamom pods
2 table sp black mustard seeds
2 tea sp hot chilli powder
2 scotch bonnet peppers
Half a bulb of garlic
3 inch lump of ginger
2 large onions
2 banana shallots
2 tins coconut milk
2 blocks coconut cream
Tube of tomato purée
1.5l of passata
1l lamb stock
Ghee
12 curry leaves
Lamb on the bone
10 large tomatoes chopped up

Blitz up the Chillis ginger garlic and onion to a purée and add to the spices after you have fried them off in ghee I normally cook this for about 4/5 hrs till the lamb falls off the bone

Tried loads of them, made some good uns and some bad uns, trouble is getting the amount of heat that a takeaway burner puts out, there are blokes on curry forums that spend a fortune on burners etc to try and get it perfect.
I'm quite happy going through different base curries and spice mixes and trying them out.

I like to think of myself as someone that can cook, really well actually. Don't know why, I just get it.

However, there is one thing I don't ''get''. Homemade curries. for some reason, can't do them. Follow the recipes to the letter and they normally turn out to be just alright! Where as I read on here how nice everyone does one and I am jealous. I love a good curry.

Are there any fool proof recipes out there that people swear by or any hints or tips? I just think fuck it and buy them fromt the take away. However, as I don't eat alot of takeaways i end up having them few and far between.

Give me your guidance! Ta
Google BIR curry base and onion paste. Use only warmed whole spices ground freshly and a really good quality tinned tomato or passata. Also add a little concentrated stock too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back