How good was Henderson as a lad?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Didn't see Henderson as schoolboy player but saw him a few times for Sunderland reserves & always had thought Colback looked the better prospect. Not being a WUM, just my honest opinion.

Henderson has obviously made the greater progress since then though so credit to him for working so hard & improving his game.

Was just about to post exactly the same.

My mate played against Lee Clark a couple of times in Northumberland cup finals at St James',Clark was just coming through and all my mate would say is 'he's a bit warm like'.

The difference between him and other kids with talent

Professionalism, and always listening to coaches.

No point being a wonder kid if you start going off the rails at 18, and being a Billy big bollocks.

Served his time well as an apprentice, keane could see the lads talent and willingness and he got his chance.

Good technique, good engine, good passing range, very good first touch, very unselfish and an excellent attitude. He is good player in a good Liverpool team.

The operative word here is good.Good player.
Typical English player. Nothing special and nothing stand out. Will do little for the national side or in the CL other than stand and admire the likes of ronaldo. Does nothing for England and contributed to us ending bottom of our World Cup group behind the likes of Costa rica.

Such players are 10 a penny.

Typical English player. Nothing special and nothing stand out. Will do little for the national side or in the CL other than stand and admire the likes of ronaldo. Does nothing for England and contributed to us ending bottom of our World Cup group behind the likes of Costa rica.

Such players are 10 a penny.
Pile of toss

A mate of mine went to school with leadbitter and said as a kid you could see how immense he was. Unbelievable talent and technique. No one could get near him. I'd imagine Henderson as a better player than grant was unreal compared to your average school kid.
Why would you think that? Wasn't leadbitter our most capped kid ever?

That clip brings back a few memories for me like. I grew up in Herrington. The shop across the road from the Board Inn was a VG shop that me mam and dad owned. Remember watching the 1973 FA cup open top bus parade from there. I was always down the park there as well where all the lads were having a kick around.

Spot the fan that's never been to a game. They're the ones saying Henderson is average.

What an absolute load of babble
You'd think they would at least read up what the Scousers think of him, you know, the ones who watch him every week. They love him now.

I've said it before, but I would have loved to have kept Henderson, Colback, Meyler etc.

Very good mate of mine was in the academy from about 6 to 17 so grew up playing with him. Always said that, natural talent-wise, Henderson was pretty bang average. But from a young age he was first on the training pitch, first off, never tempted by late nights or when his schoolmates discovered drink etc. Basically completely devoted to pursuing the career - fair play to him.
This is why I love Henderson and I slate Wickham. Probably Wickham was slightly better as a youth but while one has become a star the other should now sit on the bench. Exact complete opposite of Henderson is Not so Quickham.

Apparently at schoolboy level Leadbitter was better than Henderson
There's 4 years between them though so unless somebody had been seriously studying both players and comparing them (at least) 4 years later, it would be quite difficult to say that. Surely only one of our Academy scouts would be able to make such a statement!

There's 4 years between them though so unless somebody had been seriously studying both players and comparing them (at least) 4 years later, it would be quite difficult to say that. Surely only one of our Academy scouts would be able to make such a statement!
Or the england coaching set up. I rememeber chating to curbishly in the bogs of the hotel england used to use as a training camp and he raved about Leadbitter. First on his team sheet for the under 16 etc etc. Henderson hardly featured until U21

Spot the fan that's never been to a game. They're the ones saying Henderson is average.

What an absolute load of babble
Did absolutely fuckall last night. Way out of his depth playing at that level.

I went to school with a lad called Andy Liddle who went on to play for Barnsley and in the top flight (doesn't sound right that, might need to check!). Anyway, he was miles better than everyone at school, and also knew the niggly 'professional' tricks with little fouls etc. Glad he went on to be a pro.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back