How much does the Fulham game mean to you?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bollox that, mind. I want to watch us to play week-in, week-out like Southampton do now (they will never win the Prem either). If we get the odd cup thrown in - MINT!

The comments I was referring to were the ones that basically amounted to preferring one league win against Burnley (to help us stay up) to a cup run - which isn't the same thing that you are saying.

We'd all like to see us playing week-in, week-out like a successful top 6 side but it hasn't happened in the last 60 years. As for Southampton, realistically we know that they won't maintain it for any length of time.

I was just a young lad in 73 but because of that day I was completely obsessed with SAFC for the next 20 years. The reasons why I'm still here well over 40 years later is because of Man City, Arsenal and Leeds in 73, because of Stoke in 76, because of Everton in 79, because of Man City in 79, because of Tottenham, Watford and Chelsea in 85, because of West Ham, Chelsea and Norwich in 92... because of that possibility that we might repeat 73 one day.

I'm not still here because we've managed to avoid relegation from the PL for a few years - and that is the point I was making.

The comments I was referring to were the ones that basically amounted to preferring one league win against Burnley (to help us stay up) to a cup run - which isn't the same thing that you are saying.

We'd all like to see us playing week-in, week-out like a successful top 6 side but it hasn't happened in the last 60 years. As for Southampton, realistically we know that they won't maintain it for any length of time.

I was just a young lad in 73 but because of that day I was completely obsessed with SAFC for the next 20 years. The reasons why I'm still here well over 40 years later is because of Man City, Arsenal and Leeds in 73, because of Stoke in 76, because of Everton in 79, because of Man City in 79, because of Tottenham, Watford and Chelsea in 85, because of West Ham, Chelsea and Norwich in 92... because of that possibility that we might repeat 73 one day.

I'm not still here because we've managed to avoid relegation from the PL for a few years - and that is the point I was making.
Fair enough.

Fair enough.

My original post was admittedly a bit abrupt like :).

It's just sad to see how the status of the FA Cup seems to have steadily declined over the last 20+ years.

My biggest highs and lows as a young fan in the 70s were all cup-related: highs were winning in 73 and beating Stoke in the 5th round replay in 76 and lows were losing to Palace in the 6th round in 76 and losing to Burnley in the 4th in 79. Yet it seems like a lot of younger fans today wouldn't give a toss if we lose tomorrow - as long as we scrape together enough points to stay in the PL for another year. In fact, it is probably incomprehsible to them that anyone could consider that losing a 4th round replay was their second biggest disappointment of an entire decade...

I'm a cretin for recognising that the PL is a complete waste of time for the majority of clubs in it?

It is not a fair competition, it has been ruined by Sky and money - for that reason I would definitely take relegation to win the FA Cup, 100%

You have major issues son, namely no brain, get therapy and I wish you well and hope you pull through.

It's huge for me, Wembo and everything on that run last season was just friggin class. I think we'll (probably) be safe this season but the cups provide a welcome break from our tedious league form, as well as having potential for making memorable occasions.

I love the cups.

you have not realised the semi is at Wembley have you

Don't you type in that tone to me. I realize perfectly well. But unlike you I don't consider the semi-final the end of the road. You have not realised when I say three games from Wembley I do actually mean three games from the FINAL where the game will really matter. Winning the semi-final is not the most important game of all to win at Wembley. The final is.

Don't you type in that tone to me. I realize perfectly well. But unlike you I don't consider the semi-final the end of the road. You have not realised when I say three games from Wembley I do actually mean three games from the FINAL where the game will really matter. Winning the semi-final is not the most important game of all to win at Wembley. The final is.

Well the lad was right stating 2 games from wembley then, be it a semi , its also a game where a win would more than likely take you into europe this year.

what tone I was correct in what I said

Nearly every positive story about SAFC told to me in childhood has been about the cup :)

Jimmy Monty, Porterfield, the 'what would happened if Byrne scored in '92' debate
Tim f***ing Cahill in '04
Expected us to get to the final in 2012 after drawing at Goodison and we were in the middle of a great run under MON. The Vaughan OG still makes me cringe
Was gutted last season when we meekly surrounded to Hull by fielding a reserve team
I'd take winning it over winning the Burnley game even though that is so important

I just want us to win it so badly, almost hurts when I see some life-long fans on here describing it almost as an inconvenience
At this stage, I would say as much as an important PL game, but if we get past this round, it would be much much higher

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back