I hope we take a best practice commercial approach to appointing the Head Coach

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking at some of the recent appointments, it is difficult to envisage a set of sensible past performance and leadership criteria to manage SAFC that were satisfied by the likes of PDC etc.

I really hope the club are going to be much more forensic in their examination of candidates versus a carefully thought out profile for the ideal appointment.

Question is - is there anyone at the club capable of such thinking, detailed preparation and professional execution?

Our track record in this regard would suggest not.

This thread is about appointing managers and you questioned Congerton - he has had one managerial appointment and done an excellent job, despite a lot of cynicism on here. You will, no doubt, ignore this point but I see it as a positive for Congerton - clearly you have decided nowt Congerton does is any good.
No conversations go in all different routes and so do threads thanks............

I have doubts about his experience for such an important role and his transfer dealings especially Rodwell do not inspire me at all nor does his CV.........

Its obvious Ellis Short was the main mover in trying to get Advocaat to stay but doubtless had he succeeded you would be giving Congerton all the credit............

If you have faith in him based on something Short himself has done 2/3 times then fine I don't.......

Last edited by a moderator:
Lets put it in a bit context. We have an owner / chairman who is inexperienced in football, who has appointed two reletively inexperienced DoF's in sussession, who both went, until Dick, for inexperienced managers.

I think we can see where the club is lacking. The big decisions need some big experience behind them.

Do i trust Congerton? On his showing in the last year, not greatly. Not saying hes useless, but do i trust him to make a good decision here, on his own? I have my doubts

That's the point, there is only positives in getting support for him to make the right decision!

The link to Arnesen is hardly 'tenuous at best' though is it when Advocaat has confirmed it in public, and it was Arnesen who effectively offered Advocaat the job (as proven by Advocaat). Do you actually know what 'tenuous' means?

The problem is that now Advocaat has left, we are left looking for a manager who will fit a model overseen by a DoF with a very unimpressive track record. If you want a DoF with contacts, I'd rather someone who had a genuinely global network of top contacts, so that we could get the right man for the job. Instead we have a DoF whose first appointment was based on ringing his ex-boss for help, and whose second looks like it will be to appoint a coach who he used to work with in Chelsea's Under 16s a few years ago.

While I think it's fair to say that Congerton has had at best mixed success since he joined, it's also fair to say we don't know exactly who made what decision in last summer's window. That means a bit of people reading what they want to into it.

Isn't it a bit unfair though, to simultaneously dismiss a DoF's performance in his job and network of contacts while discussing how one of his contacts helped us make a key appointment which was unequivocally successful?

No conversations go in all different routes and so do threads thanks............

I have doubts about his experience for such an important role and his transfer dealings especially Rodwell do not inspire me at all nor does his CV.........

Its obvious Ellis Short was the main mover in trying to get Advocaat to stay but doubtless had he succeeded you would be giving Congerton all the credit............

If you have faith in him based on something Short himself has done 2/3 times then fine I don't.......
What a bizarre post. Short employs someone to do things like source and employ managers when required. This he does and does a good job in this, when required. Then you come up with a silly comment like 'its obvious Ellis Short was the main mover'. Errm no, he employed someone to do this. It's funny when someone has an agenda on message board's and feels the need to twist things constantly to fit an argument or view. It's OK to admit you're wrong. My view is that the DOF is at least a plan to do things different and break the mould of under achievement, Congerton has been average at best at player recruitment, has begun to overhaul the Academy and did a great job in securing Advocaat. Some bad, some good but his record for us in appointing managers is good - surely beyond dispute (unless of course you make up such silly, spurious claims as above).

Again, wouldn't you agree that the DoF role is by its nature not that visible to fans so it's all interpretation? I see no problem in people who feel sceptical or even pessimistic about the club being able to make the right decision after all the fuck ups of the past. I just don't see how it can be "obvious" either way what Congerton has been involved in or got right and wrong.

Again, wouldn't you agree that the DoF role is by its nature not that visible to fans so it's all interpretation? I see no problem in people who feel sceptical or even pessimistic about the club being able to make the right decision after all the fuck ups of the past. I just don't see how it can be "obvious" either way what Congerton has been involved in or got right and wrong.
his lack of experience mate..........oh and the echo article topcat has just linked which states just who was responsible for Advocaat coming here..............

his lack of experience mate..........oh and the echo article topcat has just linked which states just who was responsible for Advocaat coming here..............

What, so the first time Congerton had an opportunity to identify a new manager he conducted a process with his staff which identified a potential candidate, sought advice from the best manager in British history and got a ringing endorsement for the proposed idea, and used a contact to sort out the deal, and the hiring choice worked out pretty well, and you see this as an example of Congerton not being up to the job?

What, so the first time Congerton had an opportunity to identify a new manager he conducted a process with his staff which identified a potential candidate, sought advice from the best manager in British history and got a ringing endorsement for the proposed idea, and used a contact to sort out the deal, and the hiring choice worked out pretty well, and you see this as an example of Congerton not being up to the job?
No I see this as -proof that those who did think it was all down to him and found in truth it wasn't and others deserve as much if not more of the credit.............

No I see this as -proof that those who did think it was all down to him and found in truth it wasn't and others deserve as much if not more of the credit.............

I think you're stretching a point beyond all reason to deny Congerton any credit for a positive result for the club. I don't honestly understand why, because there's plenty to back up a general scepticism about his performance so far and whether he's truly proven in the role he has for SAFC. I think we'll just have to agree to disagree.

Sounds like a fella doing his job well imo.

I think you're stretching a point beyond all reason to deny Congerton any credit for a positive result for the club. I don't honestly understand why, because there's plenty to back up a general scepticism about his performance so far and whether he's truly proven in the role he has for SAFC. I think we'll just have to agree to disagree.
no he can have some credit but clearly not all of it as folk were trumpeting about an hour ago...........and even then all hes done is something Shorts done 2/3 times previously............Ellis Short could have chaired this meeting where the chief scout came up with Dicks name...........

That's why to me the jurys well out on him and I have doubts things will work out well..............

do you trust a man with the limited experience of Congerton to make such an appointment...........?

I certainly have grave doubts............

Haway marra, your dislike for the man/position he occupies (I'm not sure which it is) is glaringly obvious, he came up with DA (I know you disregard the input from his team as irrelevant) but why not give him a chance to see what he can do when the gloves are off and he isn't having to fight a battle "in house" a la Poyet?

Bridcutt came in 3 months before Congerton joined the club.

From there, it's all subjective. You could argue that Pants, PVA, Coates, Jones, Gomez, Defoe, Reviellere were all positive signings and improvements to the squad. Rodwell, Alvarez and Buckley were disappointing largely due to injury. Vergini is the only poor signing, but that deal was quite possibly in place before he even joined the club considering SV was already on loan
He was decent last season though. So I don't think anyone can be blamed for bringing him back.

Haway marra, your dislike for the man/position he occupies (I'm not sure which it is) is glaringly obvious, he came up with DA (I know you disregard the input from his team as irrelevant) but why not give him a chance to see what he can do when the gloves are off and he isn't having to fight a battle "in house" a la Poyet?
I don't have a like or dislike for the bloke personally but have grave doubts over his ability to do the job we gave him........

He can have some credit for Dick but its not the all encompassing credit his supporters on here were giving him this morning.........

In truth its only something Short has done himself on more than one occasion........

Lets see who we finish up with as manager and if hes crap will Congertons "team" get the blame..........;)

You're beginning to look prejudiced now
Nope that's perfectly in context with the post I quoted..............

I don't have a like or dislike for the bloke personally but have grave doubts over his ability to do the job we gave him........

He can have some credit for Dick but its not the all encompassing credit his supporters on here were giving him this morning.........

In truth its only something Short has done himself on more than one occasion........

Lets see who we finish up with as manager and if hes crap will Congertons "team" get the blame..........;)

As I suggested marra we need to get behind him (he's going nowhere) and see just how good (or otherwise) he actually is, now he has control, a sensible transfer budget (if reports are to be believed) and is not being undermined from within!

Nothing wrong with doubting his experience for this job which I do..................

I only mentioned Poyet in knowing Defoe I said nothing about him and any other signings..........clearly he must have had a big say in the likes of Buckley and Bridcutt...........

What I do know is who signed Rodwell and pissed £10 million up the wall though..........

You never know, Rodwell might have a good pre-season, and we finally see the best of him next season, had odd good moments, but knowhere near enough....

As for the new gaffer, how long should safc take ?

You never know, Rodwell might have a good pre-season, and we finally see the best of him next season, had odd good moments, but knowhere near enough....

As for the new gaffer, how long should safc take ?
Rodwells been shit mate and he was supposedly fully fit when he came here.........

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back