I kinda like the way we are doing business at the moment

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reckon we'll be reserving a bit of business until deadline time after we see the conclusion of the Johnson business.
I'd imagine there is a contingency plan in place should the worst happen. No guarantees that the trial will be over by Deadline Day of course (is it 24th August it starts?). The club aren't daft, they know the possible outcomes and will no doubt have a plan in place what to do with AJ if he was to be found guilty

Endless whining I agree, but folk are well within there right to be pessimistic. History tells us we should be.
Not sure I agree about the pessimism - although as SAFC fans we are all natural pessimists to a degree. I'd suggest a cautious position is more sensible. The club is trying to do the right things. We've got a well respected head coach who has established a good working relationship with the sporting director. We are evidently willing to spend more than we have in recent years and the calibre of player we are linked with is generally a level up from recent years. We are focussed on the medium term and are restructuring the club to help us develop young players. I'm not sure how people can add all of that up and tell us the sky is about to fall on our heads other than because the last few years have been a bit rough. Spamming the boards and losing all sense of reason or proportionality are not the expected reaction to the situation as it currently stands.

Keeping stuff quiet and not coming out saying we are openly interested in certain players only for others to hijack the deals.

Would like to think this is happening anyway
The main reason I like it is because it causes an untold amount of panic and bedwetting on here.

Keeping stuff quiet and not coming out saying we are openly interested in certain players only for others to hijack the deals.

What business , nee fecker wants to come here

Good to hear but the signs aren't good
"But Sunderland are still in the market to boost their squad with another four or five additions, with the club’s focus now on the final third where wingers Stewart Downing and Jeremain Lens are among their main targets."

http://www.sunderlandecho.com/sport...to-dick-advocaat-in-transfer-market-1-7344978

Why are these signs not good? What else should the Club be doing? Seems like they're doing all they can. Some people will never be happy I suppose, default setting of misery.

Look at when Advocaat came in. Look at when he came out of his brief retirement to return. Look at when the news broke that we'd signed Matthews.

The club are doing things quietly these days. Most of what you read in papers and on here is probably bollocks.

Keep everyone in the dark and you have a better chance of getting the player you want. A massive improvement over the Borini pantomime.

Now, even the papers are shut out of the loop and are reduced to making shit up on a daily basis.

No mate you are absolutely wrong, we should be being linked with more high profile players, even if the links arent true it shows statement of itent. Plus Dick should have signed 6/7 high quality players by now, it is FACT that no player signed after 1st August has sufficent time to intergrate in to the team ready for the season. Essentially anyone signed after 1st August we need to write off until 16/17 season.

Last edited by a moderator:
Main difference is its blindingly clear that Congerton and Poyet never saw eye to eye over signings. This season, don't think there's a chance in hell Dick would've come back if they were in disagreement and felt they couldn't work together. Plus I'd trust Advocaats judgement over Poyets any day of the week.

For every sign you could point to that wasn't good, fella, I could point to three that were.
Wasting your breath mate. Some would not be happy if we spent £100m on a whole new team of internationals. They'd have wanted us to spend £200m as that's what Man City 'done'.

Not really. There's plenty on here who are basing their whines on nowt - absolutely nowt other than what their imaginations tell them is the worst possible case. Conversely there is actually tangible evidence that we are targeting players who have a good chance of making a difference. We're far away from the point where we should get the bunting out but the desire in many on here to remain negative is driven by self indulgence and a desire to be first to predict doom as far as I can see.

If we can't muster optimism when there are no games to drag us back to reality then there's not much hope tbh. Caution is fine. A neutral stance is fine. There is no real excuse for the endless whining

I'm ok with the business we're doing in terms of some incomings. What pisses me off are the Vergini/Alvarez situations, where it's plain that we don't want them yet - due to complete incompetence at the point of signing them - we're left with the prospect of not only having players we don't want in the squad next season but also paying about 10m for the privilege.

And we wonder why we always struggle with visionary planning like this... :lol:

I like the deals that have been done so far Mathews and giving Cattermole a new deal but we have to start spending the money on a decent playmaker in midfield I hope it is on the shopping list.

Not really. There's plenty on here who are basing their whines on nowt - absolutely nowt other than what their imaginations tell them is the worst possible case. Conversely there is actually tangible evidence that we are targeting players who have a good chance of making a difference. We're far away from the point where we should get the bunting out but the desire in many on here to remain negative is driven by self indulgence and a desire to be first to predict doom as far as I can see.

If we can't muster optimism when there are no games to drag us back to reality then there's not much hope tbh. Caution is fine. A neutral stance is fine. There is no real excuse for the endless whining
How is there evidence like, or are we only believing papers when it suits?.

I'm ok with the business we're doing in terms of some incomings. What pisses me off are the Vergini/Alvarez situations, where it's plain that we don't want them yet - due to complete incompetence at the point of signing them - we're left with the prospect of not only having players we don't want in the squad next season but also paying about 10m for the privilege.

And we wonder why we always struggle with visionary planning like this... :lol:
The Alvarez and vergini things are poor but no more poor than the signing of any player who wasn't up to scratch. Just because the deal is convoluted doesn't make it any worse than signing Danny Graham or Steven Flwtcher. They're a symptom of the two of them not working together last season. It appears that this shouldn't be a problem we need suffer this year

How is there evidence like, or are we only believing papers when it suits?.
Regardless of the truth of any single transfer rumour it should be clear to anyone with eyes that the profile of player linked is better than we have seen for a fair while. However the single biggest piece of evidence is the fact that the club tempted advocaat out of retirement. That simply would not have happened without a moderately sizeable kitty. I'm not saying that we should forget what has gone before. However, spamming the board with childish whining over, frankly, fuck all is as illogical as it is boring.

Last edited:
I like to keep my Season Ticket purchase decision making on the quiet, considering long and hard before deciding whether I'm getting value for money

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back