Immoral to let foetuses with Down's Syndrome be born?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It might be a bit hard to have a well-worded discussion on a platform only allowing 140 characters.

Clitgoblin is a canny one mind.

If only Dawkins had some other way of reaching an audience other than his twitter account, like a publishing deal, high profile blog or the ability to get on TV and into newspapers to say what he wants to say.

Is he not entitled to his opinion? I know you're absolutely anti-abortion. He is absolutely pro-abortion.

He is absolutely entitled to his opinion, he shouldnt bring morality into it however and should make it clear that its only his opinion. It is my opinion that, other than possibly in extreme circumstances, any abortion is immoral- we shouldnt be allowed to "play god". He makes it sound like his view on morality is somehow more based in fact that anyone elses

He is absolutely entitled to his opinion, he shouldnt bring morality into it however and should make it clear that its only his opinion. It is my opinion that, other than possibly in extreme circumstances, any abortion is immoral- we shouldnt be allowed to "play god". He makes it sound like his view on morality is somehow more based in fact that anyone elses

I think that's just his way of debate. He should be allowed to bring morality into his opinion as IMO there are few universal moral standards, morals are simply collective opinions.

Lets not go down the right/wrong abortion debate though as that dragged on forever last time :lol:

If only Dawkins had some other way of reaching an audience other than his twitter account, like a publishing deal, high profile blog or the ability to get on TV and into newspapers to say what he wants to say.

If only ;)

I think that's just his way of debate. He should be allowed to bring morality into his opinion as IMO there are few universal moral standards, morals are simply collective opinions.

Lets not go down the right/wrong abortion debate though as that dragged on forever last time :lol:

If only ;)

There are very few universal moral standards, youre right. Thats why i dont think he should be stating that something is "immoral" when it clearly isnt, its something that is a matter of opinion. He said it in a very matter of fact way when he is no more or less enlightened than the rest of us on the subject. Comes across as an arrogant, know it all, well, clitgoblin really

Is he not entitled to his opinion? I know you're absolutely anti-abortion. He is absolutely pro-abortion.
Don't think anybody has said he isn't. They've just expressed their own that it's a horrific opinion. And in my own, one based entirely on conjecture rather than evidence also.

He isn't entitled to cast moral judgements upon people with disabled kids.

Not without criticism anyway. Seems to get riled when people dare criticise him.

Almost as if, I dunno, he had a messiah complex or summat.

With proper support, and decent
parents, there's no reason the bairn can't have a long happy life. Abortion shouldn't be the default choice IMO.
However I can understand why some parents just wouldn't fancy the life they'd have.
So so thankful it's not a choice I've had to consider.

I could never abort but respect other people's opinions enough that I believe the choice should be their own.

Just thought I would put opinion in.Our first born was born 10weeks early weighing just over 3lb, she spent 9weeks in the royal ,she had a punctured lung and some other little things,but fortunately she pulled through and is a perfect 12 year Bairn now.We decided to have a second child and because our lass (no) was over30 she had a blood test and was told she was on the high risk scale for Down's syndrome ,so we went for that test where they take a sample from her spine,amnio summat? Anyway we decided not to have it, 2nd child was born 13 weeks early weighing 1lb 12ozs.He was in the royal for 14 weeks,had several transfusions due to bleeds on the brain , but it wasn't until the 9th week in hospital we got told he had Down's syndrome ( cos he was very premature we couldn't tell facially before)I just felt like I'd been run over by a train, the next few days I was totally numb,I couldn't stop cracking up by thinking how his life would turn out.Our lass(no) was much stronger than me and she got me to stop feeling sorry for myself.He is now a strapping 9 year old, a right stubborn get at times and can be hard work there's no denying but the laughs and good times far outweigh the tricky times.I know people are different,if we knew we wouldn't have aborted,BUT I also wouldn't call anyone who would.For me it's a personal choice,not easy but that's life.(no pun intended) Sorry it's a bit long winded .

if i found out i would abort , personally i think its no life for parents or the bairn , that's my opinion though

Just thought I would put opinion in.Our first born was born 10weeks early weighing just over 3lb, she spent 9weeks in the royal ,she had a punctured lung and some other little things,but fortunately she pulled through and is a perfect 12 year Bairn now.We decided to have a second child and because our lass (no) was over30 she had a blood test and was told she was on the high risk scale for Down's syndrome ,so we went for that test where they take a sample from her spine,amnio summat? Anyway we decided not to have it, 2nd child was born 13 weeks early weighing 1lb 12ozs.He was in the royal for 14 weeks,had several transfusions due to bleeds on the brain , but it wasn't until the 9th week in hospital we got told he had Down's syndrome ( cos he was very premature we couldn't tell facially before)I just felt like I'd been run over by a train, the next few days I was totally numb,I couldn't stop cracking up by thinking how his life would turn out.Our lass(no) was much stronger than me and she got me to stop feeling sorry for myself.He is now a strapping 9 year old, a right stubborn get at times and can be hard work there's no denying but the laughs and good times far outweigh the tricky times.I know people are different,if we knew we wouldn't have aborted,BUT I also wouldn't call anyone who would.For me it's a personal choice,not easy but that's life.(no pun intended) Sorry it's a bit long winded .

well done to you,s both.....gotta take me hat off..

if i found out i would abort , personally i think its no life for parents or the bairn , that's my opinion though
Like I said its choice,it's still a life,but played out slightly different.He goes to school,we go on holidays and he knows how to use a computer better than me.

With proper support, and decent
parents, there's no reason the bairn can't have a long happy life. Abortion shouldn't be the default choice IMO.
However I can understand why some parents just wouldn't fancy the life they'd have.
So so thankful it's not a choice I've had to consider.

In a nutshell ^^^ and a lot better thought through and expressed than Dawkins

Hard to know without being in the situation but I reckon I'd go for the abortion. Maybe that is selfish on my part, I don't think there is a right and wrong answer on this one.

Massive decision to make, who was it on here who gave up their child and I got blasted off them for saying it was for selfish reasons....?
It's hard for me to understand why it would be for anything else.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back