India

Status
Not open for further replies.
Went for a few weeks and had no tummy troubles whatsoever. Made sure we had bottled water and used a bit of hand gel before eating. Had some fantastic food and great experiences.

It's a crackers place mind.

I got to drive one of those motor rickshaw things while drunk.

A tuk-tuk?

When my parents needed to go to the hospital in Goa, the hotel said they would send for an ambulance. An tuk-tuk turned up with a red cross in red insulation tape stuck on the front :lol:

Went for a few weeks and had no tummy troubles whatsoever. Made sure we had bottled water and used a bit of hand gel before eating. Had some fantastic food and great experiences.

It's a crackers place mind.

Had absolutely no stomach bother either, stuck to bottled water but I wasnt going to avoid eating stuff off the stalls.

It's not the Middle Ages.

Went with Exodus for my trip to India last year. The tour guide reckons if a person doing the same trip on their own, they'd need 3-4 days extra just to plan everything.

We did the golden triangle. Jaipur, Agra, Delhi, Varanasi etc.....!! Also included 2 overnight train journeys.

Fair enough, we were split up on the train as a group, but were kept together in 2's or 3's. First night, some had items stolen, due mainly down to the tour guide not telling us how to store things. 2nd night, no bother. Shorts with hidden zip pockets are the best thing.

Try the butter chicken masala too!!

I had no idea you could fly there so cheaply. Less than £400 return to Delhi/Mumbai if you go around Easter time next year. Dirt cheap when you get there an'all.

It's not somewhere I've ever thought of visiting really - has anyone been? My mate says you have to go for 2 and half/3 weeks minimum because you'll probably spend four or five of those days being sick and shitting yourself.

I'll let you know what Pakistan is like when I visit next week.

Last edited:
It is slightly disconcerting when you see a bus driver doing his puja before a journey on a dodgy mountain road thinking that if he dies he'll be reincarnated in a better situation as he's done his puja.

Went with Exodus for my trip to India last year. The tour guide reckons if a person doing the same trip on their own, they'd need 3-4 days extra just to plan everything.

We did the golden triangle. Jaipur, Agra, Delhi, Varanasi etc.....!! Also included 2 overnight train journeys.

Fair enough, we were split up on the train as a group, but were kept together in 2's or 3's. First night, some had items stolen, due mainly down to the tour guide not telling us how to store things. 2nd night, no bother. Shorts with hidden zip pockets are the best thing.

Try the butter chicken masala too!!

I'll let you know what Pakistan is like when I visit next week.

Not sure about the planning thing.

We did the golden triangle as well and just spent and hour or so in the train ticket office in Delhi with one of the staff there. They booked all the trains for us, including a couple of sleepers. We did have most of our hotels booked, but the others we just booked over the phone on the train.

Did you order a curry for the train? Put our order in when we got on the train, fella phoned ahead to a station down the line which then had the best 'takeaway' ever prepared and delivered to us on the train when we reached the station.

Not sure about the planning thing.

We did the golden triangle as well and just spent and hour or so in the train ticket office in Delhi with one of the staff there. They booked all the trains for us, including a couple of sleepers. We did have most of our hotels booked, but the others we just booked over the phone on the train.

Did you order a curry for the train? Put our order in when we got on the train, fella phoned ahead to a station down the line which then had the best 'takeaway' ever prepared and delivered to us on the train when we reached the station.

I think he meant, it would probably take 3-4 days extra with all the things we did. We did it in 9 days.

I didn't do the takeaway thing but I did order one of the on board train meals for 80 rupees. I must've had my ears shut when we were told not to order one. Actually, the concept of what came out was pretty nice but by the time it was served, it was Luke warm. Shouldn't complain for the price.

Spending time on the Ganges was more of a highlight than the Taj Mahal.

My wife is currently in Bangalore on a months trip and was in Pune for two weeks before this.

She was bored on Sunday so I suggested that she had a dodge out. She decided to sit and watch the poor people out the window instead and sent me this pic of them...

Logon or register to see this image

Remembered when I was a kid my Nan lived in South Durham Court flats in Hendon and I used to do exactly the same thing looking out the window.

That is the view she has from a five star hotel too by the way.

My wife is currently in Bangalore on a months trip and was in Pune for two weeks before this.

She was bored on Sunday so I suggested that she had a dodge out. She decided to sit and watch the poor people out the window instead and sent me this pic of them...

Logon or register to see this image

Remembered when I was a kid my Nan lived in South Durham Court flats in Hendon and I used to do exactly the same thing looking out the window.

That is the view she has from a five star hotel too by the way.
Looks just like Manila.

I'd love to go to India, but I want to do it in style, on one of those mega-expensive 5* train journeys :lol:

Looks just like Manila.

I'd love to go to India, but I want to do it in style, on one of those mega-expensive 5* train journeys :lol:
She's been wanting me to go over next year she is doing a month there then a month home. She's doing Mumbai, Pune, Bangalore and tbh I can't see anything there I'd be interested in doing. A month out there would use up my annual allowance and to do nowt but keep her company. I've been to India and enjoyed it but I can't see me being arsed about going again.

Think the next thing were looking at is something like Couple of cities in China, do Hong Kong or Tokyo and maybe a week slothing about on the beach in Thailand.

Spent about 8 months there altogether over the years. Amazing country. Still only seen a fraction of it even though have been North, South, East and West. Overall I like the hill forts - places like Kodaikanal Darjeeling and Munnar.

For the record I don't think I've ever had the shits. But then again I've never had the famous Japanese flag that so many of you big girls seem to get when you've been to a curry house in England.

Yes, hire a helicopter for the side trips.

Or just hire an Ambassador driver for the day.

Spent about 8 months there altogether over the years. Amazing country. Still only seen a fraction of it even though have been North, South, East and West. Overall I like the hill forts - places like Kodaikanal Darjeeling and Munnar.

For the record I don't think I've ever had the shits. But then again I've never had the famous Japanese flag that so many of you big girls seem to get when you've been to a curry house in England.

It's amazing how many people don't do a bit research before they go.

As if by magic you don't have the shits.

She's been wanting me to go over next year she is doing a month there then a month home. She's doing Mumbai, Pune, Bangalore and tbh I can't see anything there I'd be interested in doing. A month out there would use up my annual allowance and to do nowt but keep her company. I've been to India and enjoyed it but I can't see me being arsed about going again.

Think the next thing were looking at is something like Couple of cities in China, do Hong Kong or Tokyo and maybe a week slothing about on the beach in Thailand.
Hong Kong was a strange place for me. First couple of days didn't really like it, but by day 3 it grew on me and now I want to go back. Its like Manhattan dropped into the Scottish Highlands populated by Chinese. Thats Hong Kong island itself, the New Territories over the water are either amazing or terrifying depending on how claustrophobic you get! My tip: don't get a hotel on the main island, get one in Kowloon preferably over-looking the bay and the amazing skyline. Much more to do over that side and you can easily get to the main island via train, cab or bus anyway.

Still wouldn't want to live there like! (And I live in Singapore!)

Or just hire an Ambassador driver for the da

Oops loved Kodaikanal, did you have any problem with the bats.

It's amazing how many people don't do a bit research before they go.

As if by magic you don't have the shits.

I read something about that in the guide book. Seemed like a right fanny on. Just drank the beer. Was absolutely fine.

Although I did have to drink it out of a teapot in a place that wasn't allowed to sell alcohol as it was run by a woman.

I know some people who went on a school trip... apparently all the lasses were getting felt up and stuff and they were 16/17... The two blond lasses also got locks of there hair cut off them as they walked down the street.

Also he said they went to the cinema and loads of people were openly masturbating while watching the film :eek:

So because you don't know, when the monsoon is I'm a knacker. O.K. perhaps it wasn't a monsoon you experienced but a little precipitation.

:lol:
Nah, I said you were a knacker because you were being a pedant. Thought that was pretty clear.

I await your next humorous observation with bated breath. Now I'd prefer to read any meaningful contributions you may be able to make to the thread on whether the OP may like India but hey ho, whatever floats the boat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back