It was alright in the 1970s

Status
Not open for further replies.

GTG

Striker
Neebody else watched this? Amazing television, just old clips being watched by people who were in them, who watched them at the time, and who weren't even born. Common factor? Dropped jaws!

I know we all remember the different attitude to racism in those days but this dealt more with sex, or women to be more accurate. No real surprise that Benny Hill seemed to be largely made up of rape jokes but to hear Richard Beckinsale in 'The Lovers' shouting "I really want to rape her" and Wendy f***ing Craig screaming "I want to be raped!" in Butterflies was quite a shocker!

Also watching chat show and game shows where everybody is smoking looks really weird now. It's on again tonight or on 4OD

done already :lol:

http://www.readytogo.net/smb/threads/it-was-alright-in-the-1970s.993700/

Neebody else watched this? Amazing television, just old clips being watched by people who were in them, who watched them at the time, and who weren't even born. Common factor? Dropped jaws!

I know we all remember the different attitude to racism in those days but this dealt more with sex, or women to be more accurate. No real surprise that Benny Hill seemed to be largely made up of rape jokes but to hear Richard Beckinsale in 'The Lovers' shouting "I really want to rape her" and Wendy f***ing Craig screaming "I want to be raped!" in Butterflies was quite a shocker!

Also watching chat show and game shows where everybody is smoking looks really weird now. It's on again tonight or on 4OD

Forgot about that :lol:

Benny Hill going to rape that girl who already had 8 indians rape her was actually funny and did in good taste (well as well as possible)

Some of those old Alf Garnett clips from the late 60s are just stunning.. Niggers, coons pakis etc. mind he was right about the Scouse git son in law. Dippers haven't changed.

Some of those old Alf Garnett clips from the late 60s are just stunning.. Niggers, coons pakis etc. mind he was right about the Scouse git son in law. Dippers haven't changed.

Sitcoms used to be a good barometer of society and what was actually going on. People did use those terms as part of everyday conversation. Generally it was about class values (working class v middle class) and the clash of cultures. You could see fashions, music, people's expectations and attitudes in a sitcom.

The Liver Birds was considered shocking because the two girls had their own flat and hadn't left home just to get married. Man About the House was about a bloke living with two women that weren't relatives (wife, mother) and sex was always on the agenda, even if it was only in Robin's mind.

Robin's Nest was about him and his girlfriend "living in sin", this was still considered a bit risqué back then.

Bless This House was about the generation gap and Sid James' inability to relate to his kids. They discussed the daughter being on the pill, his son was a hippy with long hair and beads. All stuff he just couldn't bring himself to think about.

Miss Jones and Son was about an unmarried mother, still something that was frowned on at the time.

You can see the change from the 60s through the 70s as social taboos were no longer relevant. Once there was nothing left to worry about, sitcoms changed to cosy middle class situations where the vicar came to tea and everyone was "thoroughly nice".

These days sitcoms don't really reflect what's going on out there in the real world and the BBC would never commission anything controversial.

If you did something these days that was edgy, you'd have to find the humour in food banks and radicalised young kids going off to fight.

was acceptable in the day , not now , to many paper doylie , mamby pamby,pink underpantsy, im pregnant & have a disease,shit parents (wont let my bairns watch this ) wankers about

Last edited:
was acceptable in the day , not now , to many paper doylie , mamby pamby,pink underpantsy, im pregnant & have a disease,shit parents (wont let my bairns watch this ) wankers about

Attitudes change though and what was considered acceptable may no longer be ok. Drink driving was not considered a problem at one time, look how we've changed our attitude about it today.

When I was a kid, I was sent to the shop to buy cigarettes for adults, I put bets on at the bookies and bought booze from the local pub. The barmaid used to lift me up on the bar while she sorted out the booze from a note I'd handed over. These would all be seen as inappropriate these days.

There were some lines in the shows that were inappropriate and the Benny Hill rape sketch where his wife was on the bed was terrible. Surely it couldn't have been seen as funny, even then?

Attitudes change though and what was considered acceptable may no longer be ok. Drink driving was not considered a problem at one time, look how we've changed our attitude about it today.

There were some lines in the shows that were inappropriate and the Benny Hill rape sketch where his wife was on the bed was terrible. Surely it couldn't have been seen as funny, even then?
never seen it tbh , link ? you being oversensitive ?how old are you ?

never seen it tbh , link ?

It was in the show mentioned in the thread title. Basically, Hill comes home from work, finds his wife battered and bruised on the bed. The wife admits she's been raped by his agent. The punchline was something like "did he mention the part I auditioned for". :eek:

It was in the show mentioned in the thread title. Basically, Hill comes home from work, finds his wife battered and bruised on the bed. The wife admits she's been raped by his agent. The punchline was something like "did he mention the part I auditioned for". :eek:
whats wrong with that then ?far to sensitive you mate, bet you are on " maternity leave " ffs , 6 weeks ?

whats wrong with that then ?far to sensitive you mate, bet you are on " maternity leave " ffs , 6 weeks ?

That's not being sensitive, it's just not funny. Benny Hill was utter shite.

Believe me, I disagreed with the line they took that there was a direct line between what was acceptable then and Operation Yewtree, but some of the stuff they showed was unbelievable.

Like I said, things change.

:lol:

I love a bit of Benny Hill :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back