Jermaine Defoe - Poorest signing in recent memory

Status
Not open for further replies.

If a lot of you'd aren't clever enough to understand the argument (fair enough if you disagree, but a lot of yous miss the point I was making) then that's fair enough. The thread title is over the top, but the point is valid.

We have been a much easier side to beat since signing Defoe. It isn't his fault as such, but it indicates that we've committed a shit load to a player we've struggled to fit in. If Allardyce has found a way now, then that's great. But three managers in a row has admitted to problems fitting him into a balanced side.
Aye the knacker just sat in the centre circle when we got that vital point against Arsenal. Only a fool would think he worked his socks off at leftback.

Says more about the standard of player we've had at the club than anything else mind. :lol: His finishing this season has been piss poor by his standards I think, I know he's scored goals but my lord has he missed some easy chances you'd expect someone like him to bury.
I think that's harsh. You have to be in the right place to miss - it's his movement that gets him in the right place for goals. He's always been a decent finisher, but not clinical.

If a lot of you'd aren't clever enough to understand the argument (fair enough if you disagree, but a lot of yous miss the point I was making) then that's fair enough. The thread title is over the top, but the point is valid.

We have been a much easier side to beat since signing Defoe. It isn't his fault as such, but it indicates that we've committed a shit load to a player we've struggled to fit in. If Allardyce has found a way now, then that's great. But three managers in a row has admitted to problems fitting him into a balanced side.

Morny man :lol:

It beggars belief that any Sunderland fan could even begin to contemplate that swapping altidore for Defoe could be a bad idea. It's also amazing that people could think his signing hasn't worked out. In fact I'm out of this thread before my head explodes.
The legit concerns about Defoe were (at least) 2-fold: 1) is he too old, 2) is he a sicknote.
I have always liked his signing and he's already justified with his performances and goals......and we got rid of Jozy (YAY!)

I understand all elements of your arguments and the counterarguments. I conclude that your initial position - however you elect to contrive it - was bollox ;)

You see, I like Defoe and he is our best striker. But I don't think he's outstanding and he's not really worth the amounts were paying him until he's 36.

Further,the team has (until Monday night, which hopefully is a sign of things to come a) has never looked especially balanced or coherent when he's played up front.

I stress, again, the thread title was ott and a bit silly. The sentiment isn't. I suspect if Allardyce has a chance to get rid of him, he'll take it.

The thread title was silly? What about the last sentence of the OP...

A genuinely, catastrophically awful signing, which we didn't need and didn't fit, which is the biggest shambles of the whole Congerton era of awfulness.

The most memorable Defoe show for us was Arsenal away last year

Decent shift as a defender for one of the pl best ever fowards

Simply put he's scored treble the number of goals than dear jozy and looks like he's got a few more in him

Yep, this is my view too.
Happy to change my view on this. The 352 is a system which can help him to flourish whilst keeping the team relatively strong. Yeah, he misses chances you'd expect him to score but he's still a livewire and one of our only threatening players. Happy to be proved wrong and I think he's gonna be very valuable this season.

So what's the difference between fitting Defoe in to fitting Fletcher in, Altidore, Wickham in or Graham in?

None of those can play the lone striker role to required standards for various reasons either, absolutely none of them and it's the reason why Defoe is still finding his way into the side - what's your answer to that then clever clogs? And don't give me crap about this player helps the general team play better overall, because none of them really do barring Fletcher on few occasions, who is the only other one worth including anyway and plays better with Defoe anyway.

There was a small period under Poyet when he went from his preferred formation to get Defoe in and in a bid to aid our scoring, because whilst we'd earlier eeked out a lot of draws we then weren't scoring goals and that was having a negative effect on our confidence and thus results. When he changed that he got it wrong and we conceded more. Apart from that there's no way you could realistically say Defoe's inclusion (and even that's pushing it) has had a negative effect on team balance, unless and this is a big unless, you're naive enough to believe that earlier in the season under Advocaat was something to do with him playing Defoe up front on a few occasions and not because he was putting out a side which wasn't well drilled or good enough to play how he wanted and as a result they were left totally exposed and undisicplined.

I don't therefore see how you can see Defoe's inclusion has made us easier to beat, far from it. What you lose in holding the ball on occasions or the physical side, you win in him being sharp and his movement, clever one twos and being able to play people in, experience, ability to drag players around, a player capable of stretching defences by playing on the shoulder and last but not least goals. He can miss chances on occasions and also be ineffectual, but name someone at SAFC who isn't.

Last edited:
Ridiculous, we've never had a player so sharp around the oppositions box since Phillips. We could have kept Altidore instead!

Defoe has been OK. I'm not sure if OK is worth £4m a year, nor do I think that scoring an open goal following a goalkeeping howler proves any kind of point either.

He wasn't a good signing, though he's a decent player at times. Clearly nonsense to say he's our worst signing in recent times mind. He's probably one of he best - that's how bad we've been.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back