Jermaine Defoe - Poorest signing in recent memory

Status
Not open for further replies.
Controversial view, but his signing has been a disaster.

Not so much as a player: despite being four years past his (pretty average) best, he's still our best goalscorer and an alright player.

But he turned Poyet's grinding, but solid, team into a complete shambles as Gus fannied about trying to find a way to accommodate him in the side. Convinced if he hadn't signed, we would have ground out a dull survival, Poyet would still be manager and we'd be moving on with a actual philosophy and at least trying to play good football.

Even after Poyet, Advocaat was at a complete loss how to us him, and now Allardyce his.

He's on unspeakable wages, until he's about 63, and three managers in a row have basically admitted there's no way to fit him into our side.

A genuinely, catastrophically awful signing, which we didn't need and didn't fit, which is the biggest shambles of the whole Congerton era of awfulness.
Is this the wind up of the week ?? He is a poacher and should be played as one , not as a wide man .. Just get balls into the box and leave it to him .. Have you forgotton a certain Jozzy ???

Jesus wept.
When we beat Leeds in the cup final !!!

Defoe has been OK. I'm not sure if OK is worth £4m a year, nor do I think that scoring an open goal following a goalkeeping howler proves any kind of point either.

He wasn't a good signing, though he's a decent player at times. Clearly nonsense to say he's our worst signing in recent times mind. He's probably one of he best - that's how bad we've been.
Is this really what happened ?
My view was that Defoe pounced on an error by Scott Dann & rounded the keeper to slot it in
Great awareness & commitment
If his goals at 4m a year ( or whatever true wages he is on ) help keep us up - considering the multi millions pumped into the prem next season , it will be considered a snip

Last edited:
Controversial view, but his signing has been a disaster.

Not so much as a player: despite being four years past his (pretty average) best, he's still our best goalscorer and an alright player.

But he turned Poyet's grinding, but solid, team into a complete shambles as Gus fannied about trying to find a way to accommodate him in the side. Convinced if he hadn't signed, we would have ground out a dull survival, Poyet would still be manager and we'd be moving on with a actual philosophy and at least trying to play good football.

Even after Poyet, Advocaat was at a complete loss how to us him, and now Allardyce his.

He's on unspeakable wages, until he's about 63, and three managers in a row have basically admitted there's no way to fit him into our side.

A genuinely, catastrophically awful signing, which we didn't need and didn't fit, which is the biggest shambles of the whole Congerton era of awfulness.

The OP when Defoe scored

My view was that Defoe pounced on an error by Scott Dann & rounded the keeper to slot it in
If his goals at 4m a year ( or whatever true wages he is on ) help keep us up - considering the multi millions pumped into the prem next season , it will be considered a snip
Fletcher would have went down to try and get the foul.

Can't wait til January so we can fob him off to someone shit like Bournemouth and give Graham some minutes.

Can't wait til January so we can fob him off to someone shit like Bournemouth and give Graham some minutes.
mebe we could get Connor back?
If a lot of you'd aren't clever enough to understand the argument (fair enough if you disagree, but a lot of yous miss the point I was making) then that's fair enough. The thread title is over the top, but the point is valid.

We have been a much easier side to beat since signing Defoe. It isn't his fault as such, but it indicates that we've committed a shit load to a player we've struggled to fit in. If Allardyce has found a way now, then that's great. But three managers in a row has admitted to problems fitting him into a balanced side.
:lol::lol:, There is no doubt that his selection raises some challenges. But your argument only holds water if we could have got a better striker instead. In which case, the argument holds against anyone, and becomes pointless. Clever, really.

That's fair comment, and I was over simplifying things to make the point.

The money pouring into the league doesn't seem to affect our budget, so Defoe's £70k pw remains money we can't spend elsewhere. He's a dwindling force and has 2.5 years left on his contract. I like Defoe, he's very far from Congerton's worse signing, but the contract we agreed to is a millstone.

That's fair comment, and I was over simplifying things to make the point.

The money pouring into the league doesn't seem to affect our budget, so Defoe's £70k pw remains money we can't spend elsewhere. He's a dwindling force and has 2.5 years left on his contract. I like Defoe, he's very far from Congerton's worse signing, but the contract we agreed to is a millstone.
He's in top shape & good for 2 years IMO

He's in top shape & good for 2 years IMO

Yeah, pleasantly surprised to see that given that he went off to the MLS. I'd imagine he's a good figure for the younger players to see on the training pitch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back