jerusalem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bollocks.

Blake would turn in his grave if he knew how his poem was now being interpreted. It was a socialst piece railing against the inequities of the Industrial Revolution. Using it as patriotic tune to big up England is like playing the last post at a wedding.

Absolutely this.

If they use Land of Hope and Glory, they need to take out the god references.

So, what makes a good national anthem? France and USA are pretty stirring, the Marseillaise is about stopping tyrants cutting the throats of your sons and women, and the Yanks sing about a flag in a battle. Meanwhile, the British anthem is a call for divine intervention to help the aged.

We should choose something by The Wurzels if we insist on having a national anthem.

Their songs pretty much sum up all the most quintessentially English traits - sexual innuendo, heavy drinking and sentimentally yearning for a rural idyll which never really existed. I Am A Cider Drinker would probably get my vote. Get the crowd more excited than any of the other soppy old bollocks we use as well.

This is not where Muslim Britain are about :)

We should choose something by The Wurzels if we insist on having a national anthem.

Their songs pretty much sum up all the most quintessentially English traits - sexual innuendo, heavy drinking and sentimentally yearning for a rural idyll which never really existed. I Am A Cider Drinker would probably get my vote. Get the crowd more excited than any of the other soppy old bollocks we use as well.

:) Includes the 'left overs' from Wessex Saxon language anarl, so ultra English ;)

Can somebody hoy up a poll for LOHAG, Jerusalem and God Save the Queen(incidentally using the G word more often than any others) ?

Nah keep it for the national cricket side and let the pissed up fuck nuts who follow the football team have the current shite song.

One of the highlights of being with the Barmy Army in Oz was when everyone was singing it. Football would somehow ruin it

Most of the songs sang at cricket are class. Most at football are shite.

Was that a b-side off one of the singles, don't remember it being on SFY. The title track off that album is one of my favourite ever simple minds songs.

SFY the song is my favourite song ever .

Jerusalem was from the " Amsterdam EP"

Was that a b-side off one of the singles, don't remember it being on SFY. The title track off that album is one of my favourite ever simple minds songs.
tb h steve lipson was heavily involed in this, with mick obviously

Last edited:
I never understand why we need to build an Arab City in this country.

Surely everyone would be up in arms if they wanted to build Jerusalem here - just read the thread about Palestinian flags in London, man.

It won't end well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back