Joining a Union - worth it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The organisation I work for is making a lot of cuts and there are redundancies and all sorts on the horizon - I'm pretty safe (as safe as I can be anyway) for two years due to being on a funded programme, but it's got me thinking, is it worth joining a union? If so, what one? Is anyone on here already a member and has it helped in any circumstances that have come up with employment?

I've been looking at Unison's website and for £1.30 a month or whatever it seems pretty logical to make sure I'm part of one, but can they really make any difference if things were to take a change for the worse and you needed support against an employer?

You should be in one anyway but ffs £1.30. I pay £20 and wouldn't dream of not being in a union.
It's not the money that's the issue, I'm happy to pay to join it - I'm just interested in how they can help and what experience anyone has had of them when needed. What Union are you in?

Of course they can help, one phone call to my union rep last year stopped the wankers I work for, trying to change the way we took our holdays, he told us it was illegal what they were trying to do, we got back on to the firm told them we'd spoken to the union and what they'd said, that was the end of their games and the issue.

Of course they can help, one phone call to my union rep last year stopped the wankers I work for, trying to change the way we took our holdays, he told us it was illegal what they were trying to do, we got back on to the firm told them we'd spoken to the union and what they'd said, that was the end of their games and the issue.

That could also be said saying "I rang Acas or Citizens advise and they said this and that" which are free

Iv been in a union all my working life ( GMB ) and i can honestly say they are now no use to anyone but themselves.

I pay 10/11 quid a month or something and its a total fckin watse of money imo.

Is it not the fact that you've never had to use them (which is good) resulting in your thoughts on the matter? Because if it is I can see where you're coming from (as I think this myself sometimes), but I've also seen how many people at my place they've helped massively, which makes me remember it's nigh on a necessity to be in one. I'm with PCS by the way.

What union are you part of?

Iv been in a union all my working life ( GMB ) and i can honestly say they are now no use to anyone but themselves.

I pay 10/11 quid a month or something and its a total fckin watse of money imo.

That's not true.

Your subscription money is of great use to the Labour party and the trade unions were very useful indeed to Ed Milliband in getting him elected as Labour leader.

He couldn't have done it without them. Literally.

Is it not the fact that you've never had to use them (which is good) resulting in your thoughts on the matter? Because if it is I can see where you're coming from (as I think this myself sometimes), but I've also seen how many people at my place they've helped massively, which makes me remember it's nigh on a necessity to be in one. I'm with PCS by the way.
We had redundancies a few year back and the useless twats were nowhere to be seen. I had a mate who was sacked and it was a given that he would get his job back when it went to a tribunal BUT, the useless twats never turned up to defend his case and he was sacked. I could go on and on. They simply have no pull or power now.

That's not true.

Your subscription money is of great use to the Labour party and the trade unions were very useful indeed to Ed Milliband in getting him elected as Labour leader.

He couldn't have done it without them. Literally.
True dat

We had redundancies a few year back and the useless twats were nowhere to be seen. I had a mate who was sacked and it was a given that he would get his job back when it went to a tribunal BUT, the useless twats never turned up to defend his case and he was sacked. I could go on and on. They simply have no pull or power now.

After reading that I can see why you feel like you do then! Consider the money they'll most probably be raking in off members what you've said is not on in the slightest like.

True dat
Find this very hard to believe.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back