Joining a Union - worth it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

I was in one when i was at viasystems in shields, complete waste of time. Did absolutely nothing they said they would do and made no difference when any big decision s were made.. were more than happy to take the money though..
Never been in one since, total waste of time
More and more workers are feeling like this Im afraid.

Now that is a bite.
Howay man :)
Starting to feel like Bill Murray in scrooged

Total rubbish i'm afraid JJH. Private sector membership has risen consistently over the last three years increasing by 61,000 in 2013. The public sector fell marginally in 2013, probably as a result of cuts to services and personnel.

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploa...nion-membership-statistical-bulletin-2013.pdf
Still low membership levels in the private sector ?

Total rubbish i'm afraid JJH. Private sector membership has risen consistently over the last three years increasing by 61,000 in 2013. The public sector fell marginally in 2013, probably as a result of cuts to services and personnel.

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploa...nion-membership-statistical-bulletin-2013.pdf
Doesn't mean more and more people aren't feeling like that at all...just means more folk are joining ....no mention of what the vast majority are feeling .

Still low membership levels in the private sector ?

Doesn't mean more and more people aren't feeling like that at all...just means more folk are joining ....no mention of what the vast majority are feeling .

Kin hell man :)

Only needed to read the first paragraph.....membership down to 6.5 from 13 million since late 70,s

Kin hell man :)
Take a look at the figures and show me the positives from a union prospective.......you've lost half yer membership no matter how you try and dress it up.
Haven't got time to read it all but feel free to highlight any.

Last edited:
Only needed to read the first paragraph.....membership down to 6.5 from 13 million since late 70,s
13 million was the number of members in 1979 at the peak of union membership. Do you remember what happened in that year and in the following fifteen years ? How did British industry do in that period, especially heavy industry which was highly unionised ?
Your claim that, "More and more workers are feeling like this Im afraid" is based on what ? The gov.uk report seems to disagree with your claim.

Take a look at the figures and show me the positives from a union prospective.......you've lost half yer membership no matter how you try and dress it up.
Haven't got time to read it all but feel free to highlight any.

I was referring to your comment that you somehow know how union members are feeling. How do you know?

13 million was the number of members in 1979 at the peak of union membership. Do you remember what happened in that year and in the following fifteen years ? How did British industry do in that period, especially heavy industry which was highly unionised ?
Your claim that, "More and more workers are feeling like this Im afraid" is based on what ? The gov.uk report seems to disagree with your claim.
I know I'm dim but speed reading that report it states employment levels increased but membership rate fell ??
Also surely once a member always a member, strength in numbers and all that.....obviously 6 million workers didnt feel the same.

I was referring to your comment that you somehow know how union members are feeling. How do you know?
I based my comment on talking to workers, other business owners, business groups and various other working groups.The general feeling I pick up from it is that more folk seemed disinterested with joining unions for whatever reason...apathy , money I don't know.....maybe they are selfish like one poster commented a while back

Last edited:
Of course people are now more selfish, I was amused to see the OP's reasons for considering joining a union...basically an insurance policy guaranteeing professional representation should the shit hit the fan as opposed to any thoughts about collectivity, fairness or support for others.
Sign of the times I suppose.

Of course people are now more selfish, I was amused to see the OP's reasons for considering joining a union...basically an insurance policy guaranteeing professional representation should the shit hit the fan as opposed to any thoughts about collectivity, fairness or support for others.
Sign of the times I suppose.

Aye, he may as well just take out wage insurance as even if unfairly dismissed, compensation would be lower than the amount he could receive through a wage insurance scheme.

JJH blarn out again. :lol:

He could be blown out, or it could be to do with further outsourcing of public work and former public sector union members becoming private sector union members overnight.

What's that old saying about lies and statistics and all that?

He could be blown out, or it could be to do with further outsourcing of public work and former public sector union members becoming private sector union members overnight.

What's that old saying about lies and statistics and all that?

Aye, it could be that aswell like. It was amusing nonetheless. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back