Joining a union?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Never understood it myself. You usually pay more / almost the same amount to the Union every year than you get in an annual pay rise in the current climate. Seems pointless unless you work in an industry where you may get injured. A desk dweller like myself is better off not joining.

Not if it's unison and you work in an office
Unison are merely a tornado of wet farts that like playing the working class hero
:lol: It is and I do

Just started working in public services and it's the first time I've ever been asked. Surely the place I work wouldn't give pay rises to those in the union but not to those not in the union? Same with redundancies, surely the fact you are in a union would have no bearing on that?

:lol: It is and I do

Just started working in public services and it's the first time I've ever been asked. Surely the place I work wouldn't give pay rises to those in the union but not to those not in the union? Same with redundancies, surely the fact you are in a union would have no bearing on that?
Your choice but in my experience you end up loosing money
Unison colleagues have been binning their membership because the union reps are so inept south tyneside mbc union reps are notoriously limp when push comes to shove

When the threat of axe comes being the union is no real protection

Those slagging the trade union movement off need to realise we would all still be working 60 hour 6 day weeks for a pittance with no holidays, sick pay, maternity leave, parental leave, paid breaks etc etc like our granddads were if it wasnt for this movement

What a stupid argument

Ah, so because our fathers and grandfathers did it we should? Another one of those is it. Unions aren't always for the people.

Those slagging the trade union movement off need to realise we would all still be working 60 hour 6 day weeks for a pittance with no holidays, sick pay, maternity leave, parental leave, paid breaks etc etc like our granddads were if it wasnt for this movement

What a stupid argument
In the early years of the movement it's served a greater good
Now it's relevance has been totally eroded by changes in the law and a screwed perception of what is actually feasible.

unions have been the greatest driving force in h&s in the workplace, your reps will know your terms and conditions and policies better than your bosses as well as better knowledge of employment laws. Also free legal help with employment matters as well as injury claims.
Change the bit in bold to 'should'.

Change the bit in bold to 'should'.
It's a sliding scale used to be in the Gmb they were shit hot at the place I worked (13 years ago) unison are a woeful wet shower of shite in comparison , it's rep are often ill informed and I'll equipped to deal with often mid level employment matters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back