la paz, bolivia - anyone been and if so....

• Thread starter Deleted member 6830
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 6830

Did you get altitude sickness ????

How do you combat it ???

Don't think its high enough for altitude sickness so wouldn't worry about it. You might get abit breathless due to the fact some of the streets are awfully steep but you'll be fine. I had a class time there though, read marching powder then do the unofficial prison tour. It's insane

Don't think its high enough for altitude sickness so wouldn't worry about it. You might get abit breathless due to the fact some of the streets are awfully steep but you'll be fine. I had a class time there though, read marching powder then do the unofficial prison tour. It's insane
Fantastic book. Although the damage done is better.

Can you still do the tour? I also read somewhere that they were making a film based on the book, wonder if/when that is made.

Was there about six months ago.

She's 12000 feet up , gets to one a bit but you acclimatise .

Not a bad destination, but wont be rushing back mate.

How do you combat it ???

You certainly can suffer with the altitude, although it's unlikely.

Coca leaf tea is widely available and is a massive help (it's not dangerous and has no narcotic effect, although 1st time users sometimes notice numbness or tingling in the mouth)

As always seek advice from other travellers about what's good and bad

Aye. Aussie guy (iirc) caught with smack in Thailand. Makes the Bolivian jails look like butlins.
Rusty young is the author and is Australian ..... The bloke in prison caught with the gear and that the book is about is British Thomas macfadden

Yes but I travelled overland from Lima so gradually got used to the altitude

It's a bit of a meh city IMO[/QUOTE]

what do you mean marra ?

thanks for that

Was there about six months ago.

She's 12000 feet up , gets to one a bit but you acclimatise .

Not a bad destination, but wont be rushing back mate.[/QUOTE]

and the reasons are ? wouldnt be spending too much time there as would be on a group expedition going to Potosi, Ulunyi etc and probs down to Santiago via Atacama desert and San Pedro di Atacama.

Oh it's fun enough for a few days. But I didn't think it had the charm of some South American cities.

Watch out for the con artists, and make sure you know the rules about what ID you have to carry (iirc only police in uniform can ask to see it)

Rusty young is the author and is Australian ..... The bloke in prison caught with the gear and that the book is about is British Thomas macfadden
He is talking about The Damage Done which is about Warren Fellows

How do you combat it ???

Take things easy for the first couple of days and drink plenty of coca leaf tea. If you're arriving at the airport, bear in mind that it's a couple of thousand feet higher than the city. I almost passed out lifting my bag off the baggage carousel. That was the only dodgy moment I had. I acclimatised pretty quickly, and was able to set off on a kayaking trip across Lake Titicaca on day three without any hint of altitude sickness.

Aye. Aussie guy (iirc) caught with smack in Thailand. Makes the Bolivian jails look like butlins.
Aye.

Somebody i know got incarcerated for a month in Thailand just been let out after being embezzled to the tune of £20,000+.

30 gadgies per cell he reckons.

My mate did a tour of South America as one of our pals used to work in the British Embassy in Montivedeo. He caught a train from somewhere like Peru to Bolivia and was well caught out by the altitude. Had difficulty breathing at one stage and they have oxygen masks and bottles on the trains to help people out.

I'm sure that La Paz was also the place where the Brazilians lost their very first WC qualifier. They couldnt cope with the altitude and got stuffed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back