Labour plan £8 a hour minimum wage

Status
Not open for further replies.

See, office romance at the Christmas Party on the cards already. :)

best start the juicing diet soon then :lol:, going to buy a juicer when I get paid and get a bit more "hardcore" with the dieting, the weight should drop off if I stick to that (and I know its possible, I just have to think of the "end game" ;))

best start the juicing diet soon then :lol:, going to buy a juicer when I get paid and get a bit more "hardcore" with the dieting, the weight should drop off if I stick to that (and I know its possible, I just have to think of the "end game" ;))

There you go, positive vibes. Pass the parcel. :cool:

While you're at it, mine's a plain orange with a dash of Campari, cheers.

you have to work A MINIMUM of 16 hrs + as a single parent, 24 hrs + as a couple, I have 1 child and I was a FULL TIME worker when I had him, I was then made redundant............I've now taken the 1st job I've been fortunate enough to get an interview for, which happened to be for 16 hrs a week - and whilst it doesn't make me much better off financially, it gives me focus, a good work / life balance and improves my self esteem.
Yet some poster wants your employer to go abroad if they can't give you a decent wage .

O.K andrewP you always have been a sensible poster so.

I have to work extra hours to make a decent wage sacrificing my free time,

whilst people can just have kids get free child care, and about as much money in benefits as my wage makes, as long as they don't push past 16hours (im guessing said childcare minders are on similar minimum wage) so they have to be paid also.

how the holy shit is that remotely fair??

It isn't. Particularly so when incredibly wealthy individuals and multi national companies are using every trick in the book to avoid their own contribution to the infrastructure of the nation they do business in. If it makes no difference to the money you can pull in take the 16 hour route.

Taxed to bits on minimum wage? 20% of the few grand over £10k per year?
Might not be a large amount financially, but it takes that £6 something an hour down to around £4 an hour. Someone working 40 hours a week on a regular tax code (nee benefits) will work an eight hour day and take home less than £45 a day, so any tax hurts really, don't you think?

They can offer what they like, in the end they'll tax the shit out of you one way or another so you end up no better off.

Don't kid yourselves they're any better than the Tories.

f***ing hell, if you really think they aren't you need your head testing

This is the most right wing conservative government in living memory, and if you want them anywhere near parliament you should be shot with shit

O.K andrewP you always have been a sensible poster so.

I have to work extra hours to make a decent wage sacrificing my free time,

whilst people can just have kids get free child care, and about as much money in benefits as my wage makes, as long as they don't push past 16hours (im guessing said childcare minders are on similar minimum wage) so they have to be paid also.

how the holy shit is that remotely fair??

I think people are confusing the whole 16 hours thing. It's not some maximum amount of hours you are able to work to get working tax credits, it's a minimum amount of hours.

I don't qualify for working tax credits despite having three kids, I'm above the earning threshold. I don't earn loads either. I agree it seems unfair but kids cost a fortune and they'd otherwise suffer, that would be even more unfair. I've got no problem with those who try to work getting help, it's better than them being totally dependant entirely on the welfare state.

This is the most right wing conservative government in living memory, and if you want them anywhere near parliament you should be shot with shit

Are you suggesting the current coalition government is more right wing than the Thatcher government?

Might not be a large amount financially, but it takes that £6 something an hour down to around £4 an hour. Someone working 40 hours a week on a regular tax code (nee benefits) will work an eight hour day and take home less than £45 a day, so any tax hurts really, don't you think?

Tax takes £6 down to roughly £5.75 p/h.
(based on 40 hours per week, there's less impact on fewer hours)

Edit: Probably about £5.60 after NI.

Well now, I didn't say that, did I? :lol:
Has everyone forgotten New Labour's multi-billion pound ID card scheme, mandatory DNA databases, war on drinkers and smokers, road pricing & war on the motorist, spying on home owners' house alterations with satellite imagery, illegal wars, hundreds if not thousands of new laws etc.? Deeply sinister, controlling party, the love-in on here is baffling.

The Tories have left me and many others on the bones of our arses financially, but at least they aren't wanting to turn the UK into the old DDR.

As I say, they're as bad as each other, just in different ways. Labour supporters seem to have vanishingly short memories, or at least they're very selective. You might end up a few quid better off under Labour, at least temporarily, but they'll get it back one way or another, and worse still, have us all tagged and monitored.

Reactions: JJH
The ironic thing is, its those at the lower end that do jobs you notice first when they aren't done. They are also jobs a lot of folk wouldn't like to do. In a fair society everyones job should be valued.

100% this. If someone on 3150 per hour had to clean their own gaff or pay someone £20 an hour, they would pay £20 an hour.

Supply and demand is what values the work in a capitalist society and the powers that be have made sure their is plenty of supply.

Taxed to bits on minimum wage? 20% of the few grand over £10k per year?

NIC is a major factor.

Tax takes £6 down to roughly £5.75 p/h.
(based on 40 hours per week, there's less impact on fewer hours)

Edit: Probably about £5.60 after NI.
was talking about overtime hours ie anything worked over 40 hours. It was a guestimate but you lose around a third so £6 hour becomes around £4 an hour. It was a general point only. But it will be less than £5 an hour.

The ironic thing is, its those at the lower end that do jobs you notice first when they aren't done. They are also jobs a lot of folk wouldn't like to do. In a fair society everyones job should be valued.
Good point and in that world where everyone would be paid more or less the same....all those doctors/scientists / inventors/ business leaders etc etc would then think fcuk it why bother killing myself trying to improve things when I can more or less get paid the same as the bloke next door who pushes a mop round all day.Our lives have been vastly improved by the greed of mankind...not always but mostly things are invested in/ invented whatever with the goal of making money.Take that away and Britain/world would be worse off.
There's always been the low paid and high paid throughout history..that's life I'm afraid and it never has been fair.Just like all the school kids can't all be on the footy team...you either do something about it or accept what life has planned for you.

was talking about overtime hours ie anything worked over 40 hours. It was a guestimate but you lose around a third so £6 hour becomes around £4 an hour. It was a general point only. But it will be less than £5 an hour.

Fair enough.

Although on low wages like that I'd expect most get an overtime premium to cover that (or time back).

Good point and in that world where everyone would be paid more or less the same....all those doctors/scientists / inventors/ business leaders etc etc would then think fcuk it why bother killing myself trying to improve things when I can more or less get paid the same as the bloke next door who pushes a mop round all day.Our lives have been vastly improved by the greed of mankind...not always but mostly things are invested in/ invented whatever with the goal of making money.Take that away and Britain/world would be worse off.
There's always been the low paid and high paid throughout history..that's life I'm afraid and it never has been fair.Just like all the school kids can't all be on the footy team...you either do something about it or accept what life has planned for you.

Who the fuck is talking about paying everyone the same or close to it

You trying to tell me those who aspire to become doctors, dentists etc are not going to bother cos a supermarket worker or care worker may be getting £8 a hour by 2020

The mind boggles as to why any single person would be against it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back