Leamside Line

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've put a query on a railway forum and I am sure someone will know. I don't live in Sunderland but a visit the Local Studies section of the library would be useful, as they hold copies of 25 inch to the mile OS maps there. When you think of all the thousands of people who used it there must be photos in loads of Sunderland attics.
Don't live in Sunderland either, but might make a point of heading into the library next time I'm down, if it isn't resolved beforehand.

I'll ask my dad and see if he remembers anything. He's both a railways and a Sunderland fan.

The Hitachi trains will be 25Kv and incompatible with the Metro 1500v supply plus they will most likely be out of gauge (too long, too wide).

The electro-diesel train sets will be able to run on electrified and non electrified lines as they're bi-mode powered. They would use the in-built power source (diesel) between Sunderland & Newcastle. Once they reached the electrified ECML they would switch to electric power at Newcastle Central station. They're also standard gauge. The platforms at Sunderland Central are long enough for 2+9 HST's.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intercity_Express_Programme

Good news is I have got it on a map I got copied at the library. Bad news is its an OS map so I can't post it here. I don't know the date of the map but it shows Seaburn station which opened in 1937 so the platform was there then. I've inked it in on Google Earth and uploaded it here http://www.ipernity.com/doc/pinzac55/35139507
The map on p 1, however, has Seaburn station and, some distance south, Fulwell. I know that the map is unlikely to be completely representative of distance, but Fulwell looks like it's a spit and a stride from Monkwearmouth, but a good bit further from Seaburn. Aaarrrgghhh! :)

The map on p 1, however, has Seaburn station and, some distance south, Fulwell. I know that the map is unlikely to be completely representative of distance, but Fulwell looks like it's a spit and a stride from Monkwearmouth, but a good bit further from Seaburn. Aaarrrgghhh! :)
Not sure which map you mean ? Fulwell signalbox was north of Seaburn next to the allotments and had sidings into the quarry. Wearmouth box wasn't the same as Monkwearmouth , it was about level with Roker Park a bit north of the current SOL station.

http://www.ipernity.com/doc/pinzac55/21761329

Not sure which map you mean ? Fulwell signalbox was north of Seaburn next to the allotments and had sidings into the quarry. Wearmouth box wasn't the same as Monkwearmouth , it was about level with Roker Park a bit north of the current SOL station.

http://www.ipernity.com/doc/pinzac55/21761329
This is the one, mate. Also on the disused railway page you posted, without the technicolour!

I'm thinking also that if this "station" was only used on a match day, it might not even be referenced on an OS map.

http://www.raggyspelk.co.uk/washington_bw/images08/leamside_line_900.jpg

This is the one, mate. Also on the disused railway page you posted, without the technicolour!

I'm thinking also that if this "station" was only used on a match day, it might not even be referenced on an OS map.

Oh yeah that map is right. Except that it omits the Hylton, Southwick and Monkwearmouth Railway which ran from Monkwearmouth to Southwick Junction near Washington and had a link from Castletown Junction to Diamond Hall Junction near Millfield.
The North Eastern Railway once planned to run passenger trains from Sunderland to Washington and I had a plan with stations marked at North Hylton and Southwick.

The electro-diesel train sets will be able to run on electrified and non electrified lines as they're bi-mode powered. They would use the in-built power source (diesel) between Sunderland & Newcastle. Once they reached the electrified ECML they would switch to electric power at Newcastle Central station. They're also standard gauge. The platforms at Sunderland Central are long enough for 2+9 HST's.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intercity_Express_Programme
They are designed to be longer than the MK3 coaches of an HST set so will swing out further on curves. Out of gauge in that respect refers to clearance from trackside objects etc. A platform curved too tightly for the longer carriage will see the edge being hit for example.
Rather than just focusing on long distance services, the focus should be on better regional rail links. Just think of the impact on the area if they reopen the Leamside for passengers, upgrade the Blyth and Tyne line to take passenger service, and reopen the Durham - South Hylton/Sunderland link.
We'd have a truely connected region with better access to ameneties and employment.
Jump on a train in Blyth, get off in Durham to go to work, stop off at Sunderland for a bite to eat and a film on your way back home.

I love looking at stuff like this, just compared this with google maps and you can clearly see where there is remaining track and where there clearly was track. I didn't know about the Tyne Dock - consent line but it is still obvious where 75% of it was, only Nissan has really been built on it.

They are designed to be longer than the MK3 coaches of an HST set so will swing out further on curves. Out of gauge in that respect refers to clearance from trackside objects etc. A platform curved too tightly for the longer carriage will see the edge being hit for example.

Yes they are longer by 3 meters per carriage. If they were out of gauge as you suggest then the whole of the ECML & GWML would need upgrading. The fact that they're not suggests that the length of the carriages isn't a problem.

I agree with you on local services. We should have a similar system to the S-Bahn lines in Germany. Unfortunately their system relies on some of the money needed to run the services being provided by the local councils. Something I can't see our local councils agreeing to.

Yes they are longer by 3 meters per carriage. If they were out of gauge as you suggest then the whole of the ECML & GWML would need upgrading. The fact that they're not suggests that the length of the carriages isn't a problem.

I agree with you on local services. We should have a similar system to the S-Bahn lines in Germany. Unfortunately their system relies on some of the money needed to run the services being provided by the local councils. Something I can't see our local councils agreeing to.
GWML is a bad example, that was originally built to Brunel's 7 foot and 1/4 gauge, there is acres of space. I think some work does need doing on the ECML, beyond York in particular, that's why when GNER were running the Eurostar 'White Rose' service it didn't get beyond York.

GWML is a bad example, that was originally built to Brunel's 7 foot and 1/4 gauge, there is acres of space. I think some work does need doing on the ECML, beyond York in particular, that's why when GNER were running the Eurostar 'White Rose' service it didn't get beyond York.

There were plans to run the Eurostar train sets to Newcastle but because of the length of them (they're longer than the HST 2+9 but shorter than standard Eurostar train sets) it was deemed impractical due to the curve as you approach Newcastle. It did change and run to Leeds from Kings Cross though. The 'White Rose' service is no longer in operation so its a moot point.

http://jfctravelclub.com/travelblog/2007/12/02/gner-memories-the-white-rose/

@PinzaC55 - where is the QEB? Its not the alexandra bridge is it?

Yes the QEB is my usual nickname for the Queen Alexandra Bridge !

On the subject of the Football Platform, somebody on the LNER Forum remembers it and says http://www.lner.info/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=10362&p=104070#p104070

"I remember the platform in Forfar Street in the 50's. The fence was close boarded, painted red with multiple doors, but I don't have any recollection of it ever being used. If you look at Streetview for Forfar Street starting at the junction with Cromarty Street and facing north you will see the point at which the stone wall ends and is continued with a steel palisade fence. At that point the fence steps out from the railway and that was the southern extent of the station fence. Continuing north the fence steps back towards the railway where Hilda Street begins. This was the northern end of the station fence. The platform would not have been longer than this as I don't think there would have been sufficient room between the fence and the railway.
Many happy days spent watching the trains passing Wearmouth Junction. Sitting on the stone wall and feeling the heat from locos as they rolled by.
Eddie"

I love looking at stuff like this, just compared this with google maps and you can clearly see where there is remaining track and where there clearly was track. I didn't know about the Tyne Dock - consent line but it is still obvious where 75% of it was, only Nissan has really been built on it.
The Tyne Dock line crossed to Sunderland/Newcastle line just east of Boldon Colliery station. Memory (fallible I know) tells me the crossing was governed by a signal box labelled 'Pontop Xing' and I always wondered where the name Pontop came from.
Being a crossing where the lines were at right angles to each other it made a hell of a clatter as the train ran over it. I assume it was probably speed restricted as well.

The Tyne Dock line crossed to Sunderland/Newcastle line just east of Boldon Colliery station. Memory (fallible I know) tells me the crossing was governed by a signal box labelled 'Pontop Xing' and I always wondered where the name Pontop came from.
Being a crossing where the lines were at right angles to each other it made a hell of a clatter as the train ran over it. I assume it was probably speed restricted as well.

I don't know where the name comes from but the TV mast in between Stanley and Consett is called Pontop Pike.

I don't know where the name comes from but the TV mast in between Stanley and Consett is called Pontop Pike.
Indeed it is. I remember in the mid 80s watching a programme on ITV when it was interrupted by Annie St John the continuity announcer saying "This is Tyne Tees Television broadcasting from Bilsdale and Pontop Pike, and by gum my earrings are hurting me!" :lol:

Obviously she was practising, or doing a sound check, but it went out all across the region

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back