Living Wage - be careful what you wish for!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cinema business set to sack 25% of staff after they won right to be paid the Living Wage: Cinema workers who won a campaign to adopt the London Living Wage have been told that a quarter of the workforce is now facing the sack. Picturehouse Cinemas said that the cost of increasing basic wages at the Ritzy Cinema in Brixton to £8.80 an hour would be absorbed by reducing the number of staff by at least 20, with a redundancy programme starting next month. Two management posts will be axed along with eight supervisors, three technical staff and other front-of-house workers from its workforce of 93. BECTU, the union that represents cinema staff, described the move, which came after a year of strikes and negotiations, as a “kick in the teeth”. The union is now preparing to ballot its workers on a further round of strikes at the popular arthouse cinema.

Similar to Lloyds job cuts,saving to put aside for more PPI claims

My pirating of hollywood blockbusters had no influence the living wage IMO
Its a massive business from Bradd pitt to the lad working in Amazon despatch,how do you not think it has no influence? bearing in mind you are one of many

Cinema business set to sack 25% of staff after they won right to be paid the Living Wage: Cinema workers who won a campaign to adopt the London Living Wage have been told that a quarter of the workforce is now facing the sack. Picturehouse Cinemas said that the cost of increasing basic wages at the Ritzy Cinema in Brixton to £8.80 an hour would be absorbed by reducing the number of staff by at least 20, with a redundancy programme starting next month. Two management posts will be axed along with eight supervisors, three technical staff and other front-of-house workers from its workforce of 93. BECTU, the union that represents cinema staff, described the move, which came after a year of strikes and negotiations, as a “kick in the teeth”. The union is now preparing to ballot its workers on a further round of strikes at the popular arthouse cinema.

If they are able run with 25% less staff they'd have done it anyway, living wage or no living wage. If they can't run with 25% less staff they'll end up taking on more. Either way, it's obviously total bollocks, much like a so called living wage at that level.

If they are able run with 25% less staff they'd have done it anyway, living wage or no living wage. If they can't run with 25% less staff they'll end up taking on more. Either way, it's obviously total bollocks, much like a so called living wage at that level.
Or they won't manage and service will suffer and they will terminally decline,its simple numbers if they were only in it for greed they would have had the 75% workforce at minimum wage surely?

Maybe they can't afford it?

They are a corporation owning 20 cinema's who were also bought out or heavily invested in by cineworld.
Im pretty sure they can easily afford to pay it, infact they should be paying all their staff it - seeing as a tribunal has ruled they have to in one cinema the rest should have to follow...

Or they won't manage and service will suffer and they will terminally decline,its simple numbers if they were only in it for greed they would have had the 75% workforce at minimum wage surely?

I see it more as a warning shot to the other 19 cinema's staff.
Warning them not to go the same route (as they would win) via tribunal or we will fire lots of you.
edit to add :also probably a warning aimed at the rest of the cineworld groups staff...

Exactly, the excuse they're using is pathetic.

They are a corporation owning 20 cinema's who were also bought out or heavily invested in by cineworld.
Im pretty sure they can easily afford to pay it, infact they should be paying all their staff it - seeing as a tribunal has ruled they have to in one cinema the rest should have to follow...
Have you not been around when all the high street households names disappeared overnight?who knows what they can afford? i was at the cinema on Thursday and there was 15 of us watching a film

I see it more as a warning shot to the other 19 cinema's staff.
Warning them not to go the same route (as they would win) via tribunal or we will fire lots of you.

Sounds like that to me. I don't know the full story, but how would a tribunal be able to dictate wages above the NMW in the first place?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back