Lorik Cana

Status
Not open for further replies.

I liked him, he started very well and was developing a good partnership with Cattermole but he struggled for form in the 2nd half of the season, much like the whole team

I think he showed enough to suggest he would have been a decent player for us and I'm sure he would have done better in his 2nd season even though that's not always the case with foreign players

I was biased towards him because of the passion he showed when on the pitch to be fair though, love players like Cana and Cattermole

He was shit really, wasn't he? Headless chicken sprints to mind.

Aye but didn't he move further away he went to Italy they were in Albania or somewhere like that :lol:

Geography not your strong point Hank?

I'm pretty sure Italy shares a "sea border" with Albania to the south. I know "Sea border" isn't an official term like but i'm sure Albania is closer to Italy than France is to England at somepoint on the adriatic

Geography not your strong point Hank?

I'm pretty sure Italy shares a "sea border" with Albania to the south. I know "Sea border" isn't an official term like but i'm sure Albania is closer to Italy than France is to England at somepoint on the adriatic

Seein as it's kind of my back yard, I thought I'd write to tell you how wrong you are. But, having got egg on me face all to often before, decided to check.

You are wrong, but nothing like as much as I imagined.

The 'heel' of Italy is actually very much towards the east - and coincides with the point where Albania sticks out west - around the Bay of Vlore. (I'm guessing that is the name.)

I presume, in olden times, like when we were winning the League on an annual basis - it was one land mass. :)

From Tranto in Italy to the nearest point in Albania looks to be about 70km, give or take a few hundred breast strokes. So we are talking, what - 44 miles. So that makes you about 100% out. tis a lot, but I thought it was further than that.

Thanks for making me look it up.

I liked him, he started very well and was developing a good partnership with Cattermole but he struggled for form in the 2nd half of the season, much like the whole team

I think he showed enough to suggest he would have been a decent player for us and I'm sure he would have done better in his 2nd season even though that's not always the case with foreign players

I was biased towards him because of the passion he showed when on the pitch to be fair though, love players like Cana and Cattermole
Thanks for being fair.

He is and always was a very decent player. Had a few reckless games, but equally had a few sensational ones (Bolton away, Liverpool, Arsenal & West Ham at home). His form (like everybody elses) went tits up at xmas for a while.

However, it does stagger me that some people can be so ridiculously over the top in criticism. 'Utter shite' and 'one of the worst players...' etc to describe a player who has represented Marseille, PSG, Galatasaray & Lazio on regular basis (captain of 3 of those at times, and his country) and has consistently played European football his entire career is just laughable.
I guess it's the old SMB revisionist bingo, anybody who ever played for us is either 'the worst footballer that the World has ever seen' or 'one of our best players In recent years' - and never shall there be any middle ground.

Spot on. I love the bloke.

I think he was class. Well, not proper class, but still pretty good.... him and Cattermole together were a very good midfield partnership. Got the best out of each other. His performance against Liverpool in the beach ball game was one of the best I've ever seen from a Sunderland player.

His performances did drop off a bit, no doubt about that, but so did a lot of our players. I think if he had stayed, he would have showed his ability over a long period of time. Hard as fuck too.

He came, played some good games, looked lost in a few others, a heroic performance against the Dippers at home and some crazy sliding tackles. Then he left.

We are hard up for legends if some people think he is one.

He is and always was a very decent player. Had a few reckless games, but equally had a few sensational ones (Bolton away, Liverpool, Arsenal & West Ham at home). His form (like everybody elses) went tits up at xmas for a while.

However, it does stagger me that some people can be so ridiculously over the top in criticism. 'Utter shite' and 'one of the worst players...' etc to describe a player who has represented Marseille, PSG, Galatasaray & Lazio on regular basis (captain of 3 of those at times, and his country) and has consistently played European football his entire career is just laughable.
I guess it's the old SMB revisionist bingo, anybody who ever played for us is either 'the worst footballer that the World has ever seen' or 'one of our best players In recent years' - and never shall there be any middle ground.

Was about to post something very similar but you articulated it much better than I could.

I think he was class. Well, not proper class, but still pretty good.... him and Cattermole together were a very good midfield partnership. Got the best out of each other. His performance against Liverpool in the beach ball game was one of the best I've ever seen from a Sunderland player.

His performances did drop off a bit, no doubt about that, but so did a lot of our players. I think if he had stayed, he would have showed his ability over a long period of time. Hard as fuck too.

a HELL of a lot better than vaughan, gardner, and may others signed since

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back