Make An Indian Curry From Scratch - Al's Kitchen

Al a quick question. I use kris dhillons recipe for the base sauce so trying to work out ratios for that to using for your curries. How much base sauce would you guesstimate (in ml's preferably) is used in the recipes you post?

200/300ml. Somewhere in that region.

Im git posh cos i live dahn sarf an that

200/300ml. Somewhere in that region.

Opinions vary but I strongly recommend an aluminium frying pan (not non-stick) of about 24-26cm diameter (see any of my videos). You'll also want a spoon or spatula for stirring/scraping.

Always use the highest heat source you have available. If you have a high output gas burner, ideal. If cooking on a kitchen hob, use the highest power ring... gas is better than electric for quicker heat control.

For cooking base gravy, you'll need a stock pot, or pressure cooker. I use a 7L pot for my base gravy batches.
A ladle is useful for adding base gravy to a curry from a saucepan.

Rice needs draining (when cooking with the excess water method), so you'll need a sieve.

Hope this helps, ask away of any other questions you have.

Something I think you've omitted is the need to possess (at least) 2 or 3 measuring jugs (preferably heat resistant glass - not plastic), with a minimum capacity of 1.5l each.

@Typhoonftm A local (to me) desi-Indian restaurant does a lunchtime 'tiffin' box deal. £5 for curry, naan, kofta, dip, salad, and a gulabi for afters. Bargain, and very tasty.

Went over to Ahmeds at Laygate today, intending to get chicken breasts for weekend curry.

Shop closed til further notice; and looks like they've had a roof leak or similar.

Anyone recommend anywhere to get chicken of equal quality please......ideally want to avoid supermarket sh#$te.

Thanks............

**New Video** ** New Video ** How To Make Chicken Chaat. Hope you like the new video. please leave me a comment below And subscribe. Until the next video, i'll see you when you're older me Makkems

Indian grocers sell some canny ready mixed chaat spices and are the only ones I wouldn't insist on grinding fresh. My guess is the mix doesn't have certain spices which end up a little bitter when you buy them ready made.

Went over to Ahmeds at Laygate today, intending to get chicken breasts for weekend curry.

Shop closed til further notice; and looks like they've had a roof leak or similar.

Anyone recommend anywhere to get chicken of equal quality please......ideally want to avoid supermarket sh#$te.

Thanks............

Ahmeds had a fire upstairs, that's water damage from the fire engines.

Any independant butchers should give you non-pumped-up chicken.

@AlsKitchen Firstly thanks for some great advice and videos.

I am a big fan of chicken tikka livers. Any tips to make this dish?
I'd use lambs liver. Wash it, remove all sinew and gristle, soak it in milk infused with tikka spices. Dry it with a dry cloth, dust in tikka spices mixed with a little garam flour and fry quickly in a little mustard oil or ghee. Add a sauce if you like.

Been on since twelve shopping and making curries.
8 bastard hours.

Got lamb and chicken pre cooked, new batch of base and two double portions of bhuna and Rogan made.
Will have about three curries worth of base sauce left for another day.

I'm Fucked now. Better be nice!

Back