Mavrias, Alverez.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Holding us back? Why, because we haven't signed a load of players yet? Nobody in the league really has yet.
Don't get me wrong I'm not knicker wetting. But is it case of we've got to cut lose Vergini and Alvarez before we can use what we have tied up in wages? I'm asking because I don't really know how these things work.

Don't get me wrong I'm not knicker wetting. But is it case of we've got to cut lose Vergini and Alvarez before we can use what we have tied up in wages? I'm asking because I don't really know how these things work.
I wouldn't have thought so, obviously to some extent but it hasn't stopped us trying to sign this Lombaerts even though Vergini is still here.

I wouldn't have thought so, obviously to some extent but it hasn't stopped us trying to sign this Lombaerts even though Vergini is still here.
I imagine the Alvarez situation is more limiting given the bigger numbers involved. When added to the Johnson situation we are in a bit of a mess with most of our attacking midfield players.

I suppose it shows we're all just making assumptions. We won't have an idea until the window shuts and we see the squad.

I imagine the Alvarez situation is more limiting given the bigger numbers involved. When added to the Johnson situation we are in a bit of a mess with most of our attacking midfield players.
Agree with that mind, too many question marks over too many players at the minute, and they're all in the same area of the pitch.

Our squad is a bit of a mess. question marks hanging over loads of them.

Understatement of the season so far,mate. We're reaping the consequences of the total lack of planning and continuity for season after season,changing manager every 5 minutes, giving Premier League contracts to players who aren't Premier League quality. Getting so desperate to make signings we enter into unsound agreements,which we can't then get out of when we discover our mistakes. This club has been badly run and no mistake. We may end up having to keep the not good enough Vergini because we can't get anyone else to take him,and having to fulfil a buy clause to keep an injured Alvarez. All of which could cost us the neck end of £8/£9m,before we have to pay the fuckers. Beggars belief. we have to learn from our mistakes and repair some of the damage in this window. If we don't,we are in for another monumental struggle for survival...Dick or no Dick.

Congo made a right mess of the Vergini and Alvarez deals mind

And signed Rodwell as a box to box midfielder, which he has never been. So there's £20m spunked away in his first 12 months.

But then again mate how much of an input did Poyet have in both deals? With hindsight both deals are poor but at the time the club was backing the manager.

Vergini was clearly a Poyet signing. So why the hell didn't the Sporting Director (whose job it is to look after the long term interests of the club) put a clause in his contract that if there was a change in manger (always a strong possibility with Poyet) the deal was off?

As it is we are spending more millions on a player who only one person - who is no longer at the club - actually rates.

Surely Giaccherini is the one non performer from the Di canto days who could have the biggest impact this season

Well as most of them have left, with us losing money on every one of them, that's probably true. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
The biggest problem with Alvarez is that he is exactly the same type of player as Giac but not as good and we don't ever play Giac in his preferred role as we don't play that way. We have a first choice player for a position we don't play and could now end up with very expensive cover for that non existent role.

Mavrias will be loaned or sold and Alvarez we will be able to get out of. All in my OPINION of course in case Boris Bear is reading my inarticulate post...

Understatement of the season so far,mate. We're reaping the consequences of the total lack of planning and continuity for season after season,changing manager every 5 minutes, giving Premier League contracts to players who aren't Premier League quality. Getting so desperate to make signings we enter into unsound agreements,which we can't then get out of when we discover our mistakes. This club has been badly run and no mistake. We may end up having to keep the not good enough Vergini because we can't get anyone else to take him,and having to fulfil a buy clause to keep an injured Alvarez. All of which could cost us the neck end of £8/£9m,before we have to pay the fuckers. Beggars belief. we have to learn from our mistakes and repair some of the damage in this window. If we don't,we are in for another monumental struggle for survival...Dick or no Dick.

I worry about the 'brains' behind our club....or rather the absolute lack of them since Short took over. However we do seem to bring lads into the premier league, play them out of position, change the manager and then complain that they are failures. The problems we have faced for the last 3 years or so are down to Short, his lack of a modicum of football knowledge and the folks he seems to surround himself with as a result of that. I do believe that in DA he has someone at the club who can guide his hand but unfortunately at this point he still looks to be hamstrung by his previous decisions.

I think more than ever this transfer window will define Shorts time at the helm. Its early days yet and certainly not the time to start fretting....but its amazing how quickly early days turn into August and the silly season for bad transfers starts.

I worry about the 'brains' behind our club....or rather the absolute lack of them since Short took over. However we do seem to bring lads into the premier league, play them out of position, change the manager and then complain that they are failures. The problems we have faced for the last 3 years or so are down to Short, his lack of a modicum of football knowledge and the folks he seems to surround himself with as a result of that. I do believe that in DA he has someone at the club who can guide his hand but unfortunately at this point he still looks to be hamstrung by his previous decisions.

I think more than ever this transfer window will define Shorts time at the helm. Its early days yet and certainly not the time to start fretting....but its amazing how quickly early days turn into August and the silly season for bad transfers starts.

Well,only fools make the same mistakes again,and it must be obvious to everyone in management at the club that delivering more of the same will yield the same result. I agree that this window is vital for us. We've got rid of most of the RDF signings and Roberge and Mavrias are in the final year now. We now need to replace/improve the Bridcutt,Buckley and Gomez positions, same with Fletcher and Graham,both also in their final year. Defensively,I'm not happy we've got JoS for another 2 years and,much less,Wes for another one,but it looks as though we're trying to add improvements there,so at least the clock is ticking on those two. Rodwell and Wickham,imo neither showing they are up to the job so far,will probably have to wait for a while...let's hope Dick can get more from them. It's vital for us to add the required half a dozen or so who have better quality. Mind you,if we get stuck with Vergini and Alvarez,that will hurt us.

Congo made a right mess of the Vergini and Alvarez deals mind
I don't think you can blame him for either. Vergini was a Poyet favourtite, but to avoid the mess of the 3rd party ownership we signed him on loan with a view to permanent based on appearances. The new manager doesn't rate him - not LC's fault.
On the face of it, Alvarez was a good signing - fast and tricky, exactly what we needed in the team, and again, a Poyet favourite. Hardly LC's fault that the lad got injured is it?

Interesting that Alvarez has a higher market value than any of our players, only Rodwell comes close. His valuation is either totally skewed or he's better than what we've witnessed thus far. If we had to sign him, I could see Dick getting the best out of him. I don't think he'd be first choice, but he could be a good impact player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back