Mavrias, Alverez.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Congo made a right mess of the Vergini and Alvarez deals mind

Vergini was at the club before Congerton arrived.

He was a cheap Poyet signing.

The DOF system was supposed to ensure that it was the head coach that changed, with the new one adapting to the players he inherits not the other way around. If we get lumbered with Vergini and Alvarez we will have £10m worth of players totally unwanted at the club and unlikely to feature.

I think you can only judge now Congerton has his own man in charge.

I worry about the 'brains' behind our club....or rather the absolute lack of them since Short took over. However we do seem to bring lads into the premier league, play them out of position, change the manager and then complain that they are failures. The problems we have faced for the last 3 years or so are down to Short, his lack of a modicum of football knowledge and the folks he seems to surround himself with as a result of that. I do believe that in DA he has someone at the club who can guide his hand but unfortunately at this point he still looks to be hamstrung by his previous decisions.

I think more than ever this transfer window will define Shorts time at the helm. Its early days yet and certainly not the time to start fretting....but its amazing how quickly early days turn into August and the silly season for bad transfers starts.

I think there is more thought behind things than when Quinn was hoying the cheque book around.

Last edited:

Alvarez for me, needs to prove his fitness first and foremost, when he did play, I think he looked a dangerous player but the problem is, where does he play?? He's hardly been made to feel welcome by the sounds of it.
I think this is a very valid point - IF Alvarez is fit and motivated he showed enough glimpses last year to demonstrate he has ability; and he hasn't been made to feel welcome, with this current saga the latest example, hardly likely to get him motivated. If we do have to buy him, and he is fit and motivated, it might not be the worst thing?

I think this is a very valid point - IF Alvarez is fit and motivated he showed enough glimpses last year to demonstrate he has ability; and he hasn't been made to feel welcome, with this current saga the latest example, hardly likely to get him motivated. If we do have to buy him, and he is fit and motivated, it might not be the worst thing?
Did he? I must have blinked and missed them.
No idea why we signed him when we clearly had no idea how or where to play him.

We signed vergini on loan to get around the 3rd party ownership carry on . Poyet wanted him permanently so this was the way around it

Alvarez can't tackle and doesn't want to work, so despite his talent he's not up to it for us. We appear to be stuck with Vergini and Mavrias at the moment. Under financial fair play, our wages etc will have a limit.

If we don't sell these, then we may need to see a more high profile sale in order to bring in some of the players we're after. That's the way I would read it, unless Ellis can manage something creative. Whatever the accounting, we'll be in a better position if we can shift them.

Alvarez can't tackle and doesn't want to work, so despite his talent he's not up to it for us. We appear to be stuck with Vergini and Mavrias at the moment. Under financial fair play, our wages etc will have a limit.

If we don't sell these, then we may need to see a more high profile sale in order to bring in some of the players we're after. That's the way I would read it, unless Ellis can manage something creative. Whatever the accounting, we'll be in a better position if we can shift them.

Not relevant anymore, restrictions have been 'relaxed'.

Alverez, the saga continues by the looks of things. Has he played under Dick? Is he fit again?
Could be be transformed under dick. A real asset if we can get him playing to his potential.

alvarez is going to miss most of the season iirc

We signed vergini on loan to get around the 3rd party ownership carry on . Poyet wanted him permanently so this was the way around it

We could have still given ourselves "wriggle room" by either upping the quota of games he had to feature in to trigger a contract offer or stop playing him when he was approaching the existing quota.

We could have still given ourselves "wriggle room" by either upping the quota of games he had to feature in to trigger a contract offer or stop playing him when he was approaching the existing quota.
We could have avoided signing Danny Graham or Steven Fletcher or Tyson Nunez or Gareth Hall or.....

THe manager wanted a player and the SD found a way to get him. A failure in hindsight but not a massive impact in truth.

Poyet obviously rated him, somehow!

We could have avoided signing Danny Graham or Steven Fletcher or Tyson Nunez or Gareth Hall or.....

THe manager wanted a player and the SD found a way to get him. A failure in hindsight but not a massive impact in truth.

Not massive in itself but when added to the Alvarez situation then it becomes really significant.

You yourself are a great advocate of the DOF system on the basis that it stops the manager/head coach calling the shots and avoiding the exact situation we are currently facing where the head coach will only take the job if he gets 5 or 6 suitable players. It doesn't really look as if LC has been or is currently calling the shots here.

Not massive in itself but when added to the Alvarez situation then it becomes really significant.

You yourself are a great advocate of the DOF system on the basis that it stops the manager/head coach calling the shots and avoiding the exact situation we are currently facing where the head coach will only take the job if he gets 5 or 6 suitable players. It doesn't really look as if LC has been or is currently calling the shots here.
I think mistakes were made last year in accommodating Poyet. It was clear to me from the previous November that he was not going to make the relationship an easy one. Also the dof doesn't preclude large injections of quality. What it should do is de-risk them by keeping one eye on the future. Already it seems clear that the relationship is far better this summer. That should bode welll

I think mistakes were made last year in accommodating Poyet. It was clear to me from the previous November that he was not going to make the relationship an easy one. Also the dof doesn't preclude large injections of quality. What it should do is de-risk them by keeping one eye on the future. Already it seems clear that the relationship is far better this summer. That should bode welll

I'd agree the relationship should be a lot better and I'd also expect Advocaat to get more out of each player both individually and collectively. I still think though that recruitment is going to be more difficult than some on here imagine....ie recruiting players who are genuinely better than what we have.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back