May 30th O2 card - PPV but best UK boxing bill for many a year?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bermp. This card generally doesn't seem to have that much interest (not just in here) - doubt it will do as well as they were hoping.

Bermp. This card generally doesn't seem to have that much interest (not just in here) - doubt it will do as well as they were hoping.
Brook v gavin = insulting to the general sports fan on a ppv

The general sports fan is not going to sit through 5 hours of boxing creaming at some domestic 50/50 fights.

Selby is a nobody in sporting terms, mitchell will have the perception of someone who bottles it at the top, and the public will expect another aj roll over.

A poor poor business and sporting decision imo.

Is there nowhere I can find each fights scheduled ring walk time? I'm supposed to be going to watch the FA. Cup final first but would sack it off if the decent fights start earlier than 7:30

Is there nowhere I can find each fights scheduled ring walk time? I'm supposed to be going to watch the FA. Cup final first but would sack it off if the decent fights start earlier than 7:30

Just been looking on Twitter and Hearn has just said he will have this info either tonight or first thing in the morning.

I'd imagine it would go:

Hibbert
Cardle
Ryder

all done by 7.30pm

Selby
Joshua
Mitchell
Brook

I'm sacking the final off and watching from 5. Might have the final on my laptop in the background to keep an eye on the score.

The general sports fan is not going to sit through 5 hours of boxing creaming at some domestic 50/50 fights.

Selby is a nobody in sporting terms, mitchell will have the perception of someone who bottles it at the top, and the public will expect another aj roll over.

You love your PPV's young Washy.

Last edited:
Just been looking on Twitter and Hearn has just said he will have this info either tonight or first thing in the morning.

I'd imagine it would go:

Hibbert
Cardle
Ryder

all done by 7.30pm

Selby
Joshua
Mitchell
Brook

I'm sacking the final off and watching from 5. Might have the final on my laptop in the background to keep an eye on the score.

You love your PPV's young Washy.
Tbf i pay them like - but then i am a lifelong boxing fan...general sports fans aren't

Wondering if gavins tedious style can make brook look bad...
Can johnson get aj into the 5th onwards and test his stamina....

Tbf i pay them like - but then i am a lifelong boxing fan...general sports fans aren't

Wondering if gavins tedious style can make brook look bad...
Can johnson get aj into the 5th onwards and test his stamina....
I think Gavin will last until round 9 or 10 and don;t think it is the complete mismatch that are lot are suggesting. Brook is clear favourite and rightly so, but it wasn't that long ago that Gavin was considered one of our best, if not the best prospects around. That Bundu defeat and a fair few lacklustre points wins buried on Warren undercards have seen him go from said big prospect to one of the biggest disappointments and underachievers in British boxing history. That said, he has had a long camp for this as he was supposed to fight Chris Van Heerden in on May 9th and yes i can see Brook getting frustrated.

http://www.fightnews.com/rankings-2

Whether its deserved or not, he is ranked very highly with the IBF and after Khan turned down an eliminator with Bradley, Gavin was next in line, and while he has jumped the queue and avoided another very tough fight, it's not as though he has been plucked from absolutely nowhere like Lee Purdy when he fought Devon Alexander.

As i say, Brook should win and more than likely will do, and while there are 3 or 4 other fights i am more looking forward to (Selby, Mitchell, Ryder certainly) i am quite looking forward to this, but it obviously isn't a PPV standalone main event and thats what is putting off more o the general public and as tend to see the undercard as secondary to the 'main event'

As for AJ - I think another fairly early night for him, maybe round 3 or 4 with the ref jumping in (perhaps prematurely) rather than a conclusive stoppage.

Don't think I've heard a single casual talking about this card, not necessarily a bad thing like. :lol:

I think Gavin will last until round 9 or 10 and don;t think it is the complete mismatch that are lot are suggesting. Brook is clear favourite and rightly so, but it wasn't that long ago that Gavin was considered one of our best, if not the best prospects around. That Bundu defeat and a fair few lacklustre points wins buried on Warren undercards have seen him go from said big prospect to one of the biggest disappointments and underachievers in British boxing history. That said, he has had a long camp for this as he was supposed to fight Chris Van Heerden in on May 9th and yes i can see Brook getting frustrated.

http://www.fightnews.com/rankings-2

Whether its deserved or not, he is ranked very highly with the IBF and after Khan turned down an eliminator with Bradley, Gavin was next in line, and while he has jumped the queue and avoided another very tough fight, it's not as though he has been plucked from absolutely nowhere like Lee Purdy when he fought Devon Alexander.

As i say, Brook should win and more than likely will do, and while there are 3 or 4 other fights i am more looking forward to (Selby, Mitchell, Ryder certainly) i am quite looking forward to this, but it obviously isn't a PPV standalone main event and thats what is putting off more o the general public and as tend to see the undercard as secondary to the 'main event'

As for AJ - I think another fairly early night for him, maybe round 3 or 4 with the ref jumping in (perhaps prematurely) rather than a conclusive stoppage.
Bridge, i cant believe you posted a link to rankings..:eek::D

Mayweather-Pacquiao being a let down (that's what a lot of casuals thought anyway) will probably put a fair few of them off as well.
+ the general disappointment of the Bellew-Cleverly main event and card, but aye, MayPac will still be fresh in a lot of their minds - if that had been a classic this would have probably got a lot of buys on the back of it.

I'll def be chipping in for it and really looking forward to it

Looking forward to this, me.

You'd expect Joshua and Brook to breeze through their fights but I think the Selby and Mitchell fights will be very decent.

Looking forward to this, me.

You'd expect Joshua and Brook to breeze through their fights but I think the Selby and Mitchell fights will be very decent.
Yep, agree. AJ pretty comfortably, Brook maybe a little less so but should be fine but the other 2 are really hard to call.

I think you can throw Ryder-Blackwell into the mix as being an excellent fight as well. People look at Blackwell's record and see 3 defeats and think that's it, domestic level at best, but he was a 9 fight novice (and just 20 year old) when he challenged Martin Murray for the British title. He lost a close decision to Saunders and has improved massively since. Most feel he should have got the decision against Bursak in the Ukraine. Ryder had good momentum until his very tight loss to Saunders (split decision iirc) but hasn't really pushed on since then - he has had a few opponents pull out late facing late replacements and has maybe been the victim of Eddie's very large stable. I think the winner of this will fight for a world title within the next 18-24 months. This is an excellent fight, one i am very much looking forward to, almost as much (if not more) as the Selby and Mitchell fights, but it is being overshadowed a bit by the 2 (or 3) world title fights further up the bill. They were both 10/11 with the bookies when the fight was announced but Ryder has come in slightly to around 8/13, with Blackwell 6/4. I just hope this comes on after 7.30 when the FA Cup final finishes so the majority will get to see it - it wouldn't look out of place headlining a regular Sky London show.

Mitchell
Ryder
Selby
Brook
Hibbert
Joshua
Cardle

is the order of fights i am mostly looking forward to.

Yep, agree. AJ pretty comfortably, Brook maybe a little less so but should be fine but the other 2 are really hard to call.

I think you can throw Ryder-Blackwell into the mix as being an excellent fight as well. People look at Blackwell's record and see 3 defeats and think that's it, domestic level at best, but he was a 9 fight novice (and just 20 year old) when he challenged Martin Murray for the British title. He lost a close decision to Saunders and has improved massively since. Most feel he should have got the decision against Bursak in the Ukraine. Ryder had good momentum until his very tight loss to Saunders (split decision iirc) but hasn't really pushed on since then - he has had a few opponents pull out late facing late replacements and has maybe been the victim of Eddie's very large stable. I think the winner of this will fight for a world title within the next 18-24 months. This is an excellent fight, one i am very much looking forward to, almost as much (if not more) as the Selby and Mitchell fights, but it is being overshadowed a bit by the 2 (or 3) world title fights further up the bill. They were both 10/11 with the bookies when the fight was announced but Ryder has come in slightly to around 8/13, with Blackwell 6/4. I just hope this comes on after 7.30 when the FA Cup final finishes so the majority will get to see it - it wouldn't look out of place headlining a regular Sky London show.

Mitchell
Ryder
Selby
Brook
Hibbert
Joshua
Cardle

is the order of fights i am mostly looking forward to.

Aye you could be right mate, although I haven't seen a great deal of either of them.

I'd still have Joshua near the top of the list of fights I'm most looking forward to. Even though you know he'll make pretty easy work of it, I can't help but get excited about watching him and thinking how far he could go.

Aye you could be right mate, although I haven't seen a great deal of either of them.

I'd still have Joshua near the top of the list of fights I'm most looking forward to. Even though you know he'll make pretty easy work of it, I can't help but get excited about watching him and thinking how far he could go.

Yeah, probably 5th most then as if i'm being honest i'd be more disappointed if that fight fell through late then Ryan vs Hibbert. Some great fights though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back