Mexico Hotels

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oily Oily Oily

Central Defender
Can anyone recommend me a good hotel in Mexico. I have been looking at the Bahia principe coba/tulum in riviera maya and the rui tequila and palace in playa del carmen.

anyone stayed in any of these and recommend them?
I am Looking to go June/July time.

Couple of the birds at work (no) have stayed in the first one and said it was lovely

Stayed at the royal in cancun myself and that was really good - new, nice rooms and 'ultra inclusive' ie can get food and drinks on room service at 3am if you want it

Rui palaces in player del Carmen are adults only , or they were, the tequila and the other rui's are family hotels.
The palace hotels are a lot higher quality than the other rui hotels in that area.

I stayed here and it was lovely:
http://www.sandos.com/hotel-sandos-caracol-in-playa-del-carmen.htm

Food was fantastic and there was plenty to do in the hotel. Only downside was that it's on it's own so you can't go for a wander out of the resort and need to use a taxi if you want to go into Playa Del Carmen, but it's only a few mins drive away. That area has a lot of jungle and the mozzies are really bad. Take loads of protection as you'll need it.

This website was really useful:
http://www.playa.info/

I can highly recommend their excursions if you want to get out and about. They only take a maximum of 12 people and it's like going out with some friends rather than a trip. You'll get a much better experience, learn lots from the guides and get to places the tour companies don't take you. All your food and drink is included on the trip as well. They organise lunch and carry a cool box and snack bag that you can help yourself to throughout the day.

Stayed in the bahia principe Coba twice. Fantastic resort. You won't believe how big it is until you get there. The landscaping and grounds are beautiful. Tens and tens of restaurants, pools and bars. Only negative is the transfer time of 90mins+ from the airport.

I actually prefer certain parts of this place to the Moon palace where we stayed a couple of years ago. Size wise they are similar.

Never fancied the Riu hotels - no palapas on the beach and always looks overcrowded.

Try having a look at the Iberostar paraiso del mar/paraiso beach hotels. A bit closer to cancuun, but again a beautiful expansive resort.

Stayed in the Bahia principe, was ok but food was average and entertainment was shite on a night
And it's also a 2 hour bus ride to the hotel after a ten hour flight which isn't ideal, my advice is stay in cancun

Can anyone recommend me a good hotel in Mexico. I have been looking at the Bahia principe coba/tulum in riviera maya and the rui tequila and palace in playa del carmen.

anyone stayed in any of these and recommend them?
I am Looking to go June/July time.

The Palace in Playacar (playa del carmen) is lovely. Its quiet, though.

Never fancied the Riu hotels - no palapas on the beach and always looks overcrowded.

We couldn't fault them.

My inlaws have been to the palace twice now in playacar (recently refitted too). We went once and it was great. Certainly not overcrowded at all.

BiL has been to one of the other Riu's and said it was excellent too.

I agree. The Palace hotels are excellent. Best service I have ever experienced.

I agree. The Palace hotels are excellent. Best service I have ever experienced.

I don't think I ever had to wait for a drink. The waiters were discrete, but as soon as we finishing, they'd be there asking if we would like anything else.

And unlike other AI's, I never saw anyone throwing tips around. There was no need in order to get good service
(Did it anyway though, but quietly)

There's a big difference though between the Rius and the Riu Palace properties though? Not to be confused with the Palace resorts - moon, beach and sun.

Have looked at the Rius but wife was put off when we've dropped off at their lobbies and walked along their stretch of beach. Friends however have said the food is top notch.

We've always stayed at Gran Bahia principe or Iberostar resorts which have always been top notch.

For the benefit of the OP, I think whichever property you decide to stay at you'll not be disappointed if you haven't travelled to this part of the world before.

Stayed in the bahia principe Coba twice. Fantastic resort. You won't believe how big it is until you get there. The landscaping and grounds are beautiful. Tens and tens of restaurants, pools and bars. Only negative is the transfer time of 90mins+ from the airport.

I actually prefer certain parts of this place to the Moon palace where we stayed a couple of years ago. Size wise they are similar.

Try having a look at the Iberostar paraiso del mar/paraiso beach hotels. A bit closer to cancuun, but again a beautiful expansive resort.

The only thing putting me off this is the transfer time after a ten hour flight. Read reviews saying the beach isn't that good infront of the tulum resort, is this true?

The Palace in Playacar (playa del carmen) is lovely. Its quiet, though.

We couldn't fault them.

My inlaws have been to the palace twice now in playacar (recently refitted too). We went once and it was great. Certainly not overcrowded at all.

BiL has been to one of the other Riu's and said it was excellent too.

The Palace looks lovely. There will be me our lass and her little lad so we need somewhere child friendly really to keep him entertained. Does the palace have much for kids?

There's a difference between the normal Ruis and the Rui Palaces, yes.

The Palace looks lovely. There will be me our lass and her little lad so we need somewhere child friendly really to keep him entertained. Does the palace have much for kids?

No. Its very quiet. I'm not even sure kids are allowed?

The only thing putting me off this is the transfer time after a ten hour flight. Read reviews saying the beach isn't that good infront of the tulum resort, is this true?
The transfer is a bit of a bugger like. The beach is rocky in places but stretches for a mile or sound has a lovely jetty at one end where you can see the fishes swimming. Have you considered the Dominican Republic? Identical holiday if you don't really plan on leaving the resort except for excursions. Better beaches, cheaper, and friendlier people....not that the Mexicans aren't friendly.

From about a 1 minute onwards.

Last edited:
The transfer is a bit of a bugger like. The beach is rocky in places but stretches for a mile or sound has a lovely jetty at one end where you can see the fishes swimming. Have you considered the Dominican Republic? Identical holiday if you don't really plan on leaving the resort except for excursions. Better beaches, cheaper, and friendlier people....not that the Mexicans aren't friendly.

From about a 1 minute onwards.

Did consider the dominican mate and noticed that the beaches looked good there. Think I will try there next year as Ive just woke up for night shift to the news that she has booked the riu tequila for two weeks for the end of June. She decided on this one as its not too far from the centre of playa del carmen and she didn't want to be just tied to a resort. Also for the beach which is meant to be nice infront of the riu palace. I will be looking to do some trips so I best start looking up on them. Fancy that xel ha for definite but not sure on anything else yet. First time over this side of the world as I've spent the last 6 years doing australia, thailand, singapore etc so really looking forward to it.
Cheers for all the info everyone.

Did consider the dominican mate and noticed that the beaches looked good there. Think I will try there next year as Ive just woke up for night shift to the news that she has booked the riu tequila for two weeks for the end of June. She decided on this one as its not too far from the centre of playa del carmen and she didn't want to be just tied to a resort. Also for the beach which is meant to be nice infront of the riu palace. I will be looking to do some trips so I best start looking up on them. Fancy that xel ha for definite but not sure on anything else yet. First time over this side of the world as I've spent the last 6 years doing australia, thailand, singapore etc so really looking forward to it.
Cheers for all the info everyone.
I'm sure you'll have a great time. As for the trips, I'm not much help im afraid having only been to Coco Bongos and the Pirate night. Both are excellent but Coco Bongos is a nightclub so not really child friendly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back