Mine entry near new property

Status
Not open for further replies.

SAFCGardian

Midfield
After some advice...

In the process of buying a house and the searches have revealed that there is a mine entry within 20 of the property. The search says it's been capped and drilled twice and hasn't been mined since 1955, and won't be in the future. Has anyone had any dealings with property like this?

The house next door has only just sold in March and there is another one in the street which looks on top of the mine entry, and that just sold too, so I don't think it's a massive issue, but if someone can say otherwise It may halt the purchase. Cheers

After some advice...

In the process of buying a house and the searches have revealed that there is a mine entry within 20 of the property. The search says it's been capped and drilled twice and hasn't been mined since 1955, and won't be in the future. Has anyone had any dealings with property like this?

The house next door has only just sold in March and there is another one in the street which looks on top of the mine entry, and that just sold too, so I don't think it's a massive issue, but if someone can say otherwise It may halt the purchase. Cheers
Are you sure that house doesn't just belong to the person who made the map?

House is about 5 years old. We would be the 3rd owners. Not sure if that is a good thing or not

Without reading the report and looking at the house, I would suggest you don't take the risk.

Buildings on or near mine openings or above adits can be perfectly fine, but it all depends on the strata beneath and the depth of mine.

Can you find out who built the properties? Might be worthwhile asking if they have grouted the voids which would put my mind at ease.

After some advice...

Yes we just bought one similar but built in the 60s. I asked and looked online but didn't get much luck..

General consensus was people from areas where there were no previous mining seem to think it's the worst thing ever and point you to articles of houses falling into the ground.. Others from places like the North East generally don't seem to be to fussed.

Ours is a mine shaft in next doors front garden, last mined in 1952 (I think). Unknown if it's capped.

We paid for extra coal report which was about £90 and a waste of money. Basically said there is no record of subsidence known in the area, risk of this would be considered small, risk of damage to property extremely small although it is within the boundary (as its within the 20 metres).

Anyway we ended up reducing our offer 11k and got the house so I suppose it is something future buyers (and you) can use to try and barter like we did.

After some advice...

When the houses were built a land survey will have been done especially with reference to disused mines. At worst if the Zombie Apocalypse happens you will have access to plenty of free coal.

House is about 5 years old. We would be the 3rd owners. Not sure if that is a good thing or not

3 owners in 5 years sounds a bit much but very similar to the position we find ourselves in. Bought a house that we then discovered was built on a site where a graveyard once stood afore the council relocated it.

Nowt but bother since moving in, tree branches coming through windows, ornaments being moved and I've just come in from work to find my daughter is now consigned to some kind of paranormal vortex between this world and some other.

I'd recommend you undertake a seance before departing with your deposit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back