Modern footballers not celebrating against former clubs when they score.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Not a new thing. Denis Law back-heeled one in against Man U in the 70's which relegated them. He just walked away.
Whilst I remember that and it looked like he was trying to miss wasn't it the case that it didn't actually relegate them.............

I've got to be honest, I'm in a minority here but I think it's a good thing to do. Don't get me wrong, footballers take it to the extreme - scoring against a club you played for 5 games and not celebrating is daft.

However, if you have real connections to the club (For example - yesterday when Lampard scored) it shows respect for your former team mates and more importantly, the fans.

Shearer winds me up, last week he was on MOTD banging on about it saying they should always celebrate, I disagree. I think containing your emotions shows a degree of class and respect.

^ That totally. I think it's a good thing for reasons above, like when Phillips scored against us.

Players grow an affinity to a team and supporters, and it's a nice gesture when they don't rub it in their faces when they leave the club (especially if not their doing or circumstances force a move).

How would fans on here liked Phillips scoring and then doing an Adebayor (sp?) infront of them?

Obviously has to be some time or affinity tho, playing for the opposition for 5 games, for example, and then doing it is crazy.

Its okay to stand there and not make a fuss, but it annoys me when they put their hands up and make sure everyone knows they're not celebrating and they're a top lad. Lukaku's was pathetic, Lampard's was good.

its a sign of respect. For example, when meyler celebrated like they'd won the league after scoring last season my hatred for the bloke went through the roof, despite liking the lad here. When Frazier Campbell scored and didn't celebrate I thought he was a top bloke despite having no time for him when he was here.
Sounds like it doesn't take much to hurt your feelings.

its a sign of respect. For example, when meyler celebrated like they'd won the league after scoring last season my hatred for the bloke went through the roof, despite liking the lad here. When Frazier Campbell scored and didn't celebrate I thought he was a top bloke despite having no time for him when he was here.

I disagree - if one of our players gets a goal then the last thing I'd want him to be thinking of would be whether or not he has upset the fans of his former club. It gives the impression of a player caring more about his old club than his current one and, to me, that's completely disrespectful.

Shearer winds me up, last week he was on MOTD banging on about it saying they should always celebrate, I disagree. I think containing your emotions shows a degree of class and respect.

If shearer said that then I think the opposite.
Weetabix headed bellend

Personally thought Lampard went on pathetic yesterday.

Fair enough if you don't want to celebrate. Just jog back to your starting position.

But to look absolutely gutted, in tears almost, for scoring an important goal for a team now paying your wages is ridiculous.

I still think he bottled the second one as well.

I disagree - if one of our players gets a goal then the last thing I'd want him to be thinking of would be whether or not he has upset the fans of his former club. It gives the impression of a player caring more about his old club than his current one and, to me, that's completely disrespectful.

It's not disrespectful to his new club at all. He has just chose not to go overboard with celebrations for scoring against his old team who he has been part of hopefully for a long time (or some something special there).

Haven't seen the Lampard stuff mind, but sounds a bit pathetic if he was about to cry. Just smile with your team and accept the congrats and get back to your own half.

Lampard never had a problem celebrating against West Ham mind.

It's not disrespectful to his new club at all. He has just chose not to go overboard with celebrations for scoring against his old team who he has been part of hopefully for a long time (or some something special there).

Haven't seen the Lampard stuff mind, but sounds a bit pathetic if he was about to cry. Just smile with your team and accept the congrats and get back to your own half.

You might not think so, but I do. Like I say, if one of ours scores then I want to him to show that it means as much to him as it does to me - I don't care who it's against.
The whole thing's ridiculous, imo. It's like they score but then almost apologise for it. You know they're over the moon, inside, so why not show it? It's not done out of respect for former fans either, it's done so as not to tarnish those fans' opinion of the player. The whole thing is sycophantic, self-serving and completely unnecessary.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back