Modern footballers not celebrating against former clubs when they score.

Status
Not open for further replies.
the supporters didnt
But you could argue he is now being disrespectful to the City fans by NOT celebrating. He looked like he would rather have not scored, and if I was a city fan, that would piss me off slightly.
Chelsea let you go Frank. They did not want you anymore. Id have done a triple somersault right into Joses face to celebrate!

You can look at it both ways though. If I was a city fan, lampards reaction would have pissed me off. If you pull on the shirt, you are part of THAT team and should behave accordingly

He scored though, I wouldn't care about anything else were I a Man City fan.

The whole debate seems a bit pointless to me. Caring about how a person celebrates? Really?

I personally just think that players today are like sheep. They see one do it, so they all do the same. Just like their trendy tattoo's.

You're exactly right, they are. But again who cares?

He scored though, I wouldn't care about anything else were I a Man City fan.

The whole debate seems a bit pointless to me. Caring about how a person celebrates? Really?

You're exactly right, they are. But again who cares?
if you look at it like that, any debate regarding football is pointless though really!

Never really understood i'd be doing laps of honour the whole works. Another shit trend that came from abroad.
The only time I ever saw it here was when Denis Law back heeled a goal in for Man City at Old Trafford which relegated Man U in the seventies he was lets just say a bit sad, which you can understand a bit.

Why does it matter? As long as that player still grafts and puts his all in, like Lampard obviously did, does it really matter?

It does show a degree of respect for the fans, it's bad enough conceding a goal but to see a former hero going mental and lording it in front of you is extra shit. Not sure why anyone could be criticised for that.

I read an article by the Secret Footballer in FourFourTwo and he was saying players secretly love scoring against their old teams. I can see why some players would have an affinity towards certain clubs, Lampard won a bit at Chelsea so he'll feel a connection to the club because that ws his best time in his career.

How the fuck is Lampard disrespectful to City for being gutted that his last goodbye to the Chelsea fans is by scoring against them at the Etihad? You have to score to celebrate man, some right precious people on here, so what if he doesn't want to celebrate? He scored at the end of the day.

I read an article by the Secret Footballer in FourFourTwo and he was saying players secretly love scoring against their old teams. I can see why some players would have an affinity towards certain clubs, Lampard won a bit at Chelsea so he'll feel a connection to the club because that ws his best time in his career.

Surely it depends on the player and the relationship they had with their former club?

Going off on a tangent a bit here, but when I score in Sunday league football I never really celebrate, yet when a team mate scores I do. Bit weird really.

Some right f***ing precious souls about like. Booo hoo he didn't celebrate his goal, im upset now, he doesn't love us, he didn't jump about a bit...

Your teams player has just f***ing scored a goal for the team, just enjoy the f***ing thing and be grateful he has :rolleyes:

In Franks, and a lot of others cases, the team has been his home for a good number of years, paid his wages and been a huge part of his life. Let them celebrate how they wish, he never wanted to leave them and they still obviously hold a big part of his heart. Not many players nowadays will give a team all he has and still have a place in his heart even after they have given him the boot.

What passes for "not celebrating" is only what most footballers used to do when they scored a goal before TV made it all into a big pantomime.

Hope this helps

Surely it depends on the player and the relationship they had with their former club?

Going off on a tangent a bit here, but when I score in Sunday league football I never really celebrate, yet when a team mate scores I do. Bit weird really.

It probably does mate, every players mentality is different. I'm a bit like that myself when I score actually, I think it's because I'm more reserved so I'd feel like a dick milking my own goal.

I would celebrate whilst hoying the V's and w@nk signs at the supporters

Adam Johnson almost apologised to us for scoring when for Man City

To be fair, it's up to him really, I'm sure after this footballing career is over, it will be the Chelsea fans who'll remember him not Man city

I've got to be honest, I'm in a minority here but I think it's a good thing to do. Don't get me wrong, footballers take it to the extreme - scoring against a club you played for 5 games and not celebrating is daft.

However, if you have real connections to the club (For example - yesterday when Lampard scored) it shows respect for your former team mates and more importantly, the fans.

Shearer winds me up, last week he was on MOTD banging on about it saying they should always celebrate, I disagree. I think containing your emotions shows a degree of class and respect.

My views entirely!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back